- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 152586, 7 pages
2-Year BMI Changes of Children Referred for Multidisciplinary Weight Management
1Division of General Pediatrics, Department of Medicine, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
2Division of Behavioral Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
3Obesity Prevention Program, Department of Population Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute, Boston, MA 02215, USA
4Division of General Pediatrics, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Received 7 October 2013; Accepted 12 December 2013; Published 30 January 2014
Academic Editor: Samuel Menahem
Copyright © 2014 Jennifer K. Cheng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. J. Aronne, “Epidemiology, morbidity, and treatment of overweight and obesity,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 62, supplement 23, pp. 13–22, 2001.
- S. R. Daniels, D. K. Arnett, R. H. Eckel et al., “Overweight in children and adolescents: pathophysiology, consequences, prevention, and treatment,” Circulation, vol. 111, no. 15, pp. 1999–2012, 2005.
- A. Must, J. Spadano, E. H. Coakley, A. E. Field, G. Colditz, and W. H. Dietz, “The disease burden associated with overweight and obesity,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 16, pp. 1523–1529, 1999.
- I. Eneli, V. Norwood, S. Hampl et al., “Perspectives on obesity programs at children's hospitals: insights from senior program administrators,” Pediatrics, vol. 128, supplement 2, pp. S86–S90, 2011.
- W. R. Miller and S. Rollnick, Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change, Guilford Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2002.
- S. Rollnick, C. C. Butler, P. Kinnersley, J. Gregory, and B. Mash, “Motivational interviewing,” British Medical Journal, vol. 340, article c1900, 2010.
- J. Hagan, J. Shaw, and P. Duncan, Bright Futures Guidelines for Health Supervision of Infants, Children, and Adolescents, 3rd edition, 2008.
- R. J. Kuczmarski, C. L. Ogden, L. M. Grummer-Strawn et al., “CDC growth charts: United States,” Advance Data, no. 314, pp. 1–27, 2000.
- P. Sumithran, L. A. Prendergast, E. Delbridge et al., “Long-term persistence of hormonal adaptations to weight loss,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, no. 17, pp. 1597–1604, 2011.
- R. R. Wing, W. Lang, T. A. Wadden et al., “Benefits of modest weight loss in improving cardiovascular risk factors in overweight and obese individuals with type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes care, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 1481–1486, 2011.
- E. P. Whitlock, E. A. O'Connor, S. B. Williams, T. L. Beil, and K. W. Lutz, “Effectiveness of weight management interventions in children: a targeted systematic review for the USPSTF,” Pediatrics, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. e396–e418, 2010.
- E. A. Whitlock, E. P. O'Connor, S. B. Williams, T. L. Beil, and K. W. Lutz, “Effectiveness of weight management programs in children and adolescents,” Evidence Report/Technology Assessment, no. 170, pp. 1–308, 2008.
- M. Morano, D. Colella, I. Rutigliano, P. Fiore, M. Pettoello-Mantovani, and A. Campanozzi, “Changes in actual and perceived physical abilities in clinically obese children: a 9-month multi-component intervention study,” PLoS One, vol. 7, no. 12, Article ID e50782, 2012.
- R. C. Whitaker, M. S. Pepe, J. A. Wright, K. D. Seidel, and W. H. Dietz, “Early adiposity rebound and the risk of adult obesity,” Pediatrics, vol. 101, no. 3, p. E5, 1998.
- S. E. Barlow, “Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, supplement 4, pp. S164–S192, 2007.
- K. H. Lowell and J. Bertko, “The accountable care organization (ACO) model: building blocks for success,” Journal of Ambulatory Care Management, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 81–88, 2010.
- J. Reinholz, O. Skopp, C. Breitenstein, I. Bohr, H. Winterhoff, and S. Knecht, “Compensatory weight gain due to dopaminergic hypofunction: new evidence and own incidental observations,” Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 5, no. 1, article 35, 2008.
- C. G. Ulen, M. M. Huizinga, B. Beech, and T. A. Elasy, “Weight regain prevention,” Clinical Diabetes, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 100–113, 2008.
- L. M. Brotman, S. Dawson-McClure, K.-Y. Huang et al., “Early childhood family intervention and long-term obesity prevention among high-risk minority youth,” Pediatrics, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. e621–e628, 2012.
- T. Reinehr, M. Kleber, N. Lass, and A. M. Toschke, “Body mass index patterns over 5 y in obese children motivated to participate in a 1-y lifestyle intervention: age as a predictor of long-term success,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1165–1171, 2010.