- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 156049, 7 pages
Do Maternal Quality of Life and Breastfeeding Difficulties Influence the Continuation of Exclusive Breastfeeding?
1Department of Midwifery, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences, Sabzevar 9613873136, Iran
2Research Center of Psychiatry, Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Golestan 49189 36316, Iran
3Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Yasuj University of Medical Sciences, Yasuj 7591741417, Iran
4Center for Health Related Social and Behavioral Sciences Research, Shahroud University of Medical Sciences, Shahroud 3613773955, Iran
Received 3 January 2014; Accepted 11 April 2014; Published 28 April 2014
Academic Editor: Namık Yaşar Özbek
Copyright © 2014 Forough Mortazavi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Ip, M. Chung, G. Raman et al., “Breastfeeding and maternal and infant health outcomes in developed countries,” Evidence Report/Technology Assessment, no. 153, pp. 1–186, 2007.
- L. R. Salone, W. F. Vann Jr., and D. L. Dee, “Breastfeeding: an overview of oral and general health benefits,” The Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 144, pp. 143–151, 2013.
- M. Kramer and R. Kakuma, The Optimal Duration of Exclusive Breastfeeding a Systematic Review, Department of Nutrition for Health and Development, Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development, World Health Organization, 2002.
- World Health Organization, “Infant and young child nutrition, global strategy for infant and young child feeding,” Tech. Rep. EB 109/12, 2002.
- V. Schmied and L. Barclay, “Connection and pleasure, disruption and distress: women's experience of breastfeeding,” Journal of Human Lactation, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 325–334, 1999.
- J. N. Mozingo, M. W. Davis, P. G. Droppleman, and A. Merideth, “It wasn't working: women's experiences with short-term breastfeeding,” MCN The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 120–126, 2000.
- O. Vesga-López, C. Blanco, K. Keyes, M. Olfson, B. F. Grant, and D. S. Hasin, “Psychiatric disorders in pregnant and postpartum women in the United States,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 805–815, 2008.
- C.-L. Dennis and K. McQueen, “Does maternal postpartum depressive symptomatology influence infant feeding outcomes?” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 590–594, 2007.
- P. Hoddinott and R. Pill, “Qualitative study of decisions about infant feeding among women in east end of London,” British Medical Journal, vol. 318, no. 7175, pp. 30–34, 1999.
- “World health organization: program on mental health. WHOQOL-BREF introduction, administration, scoring and generic version of the assessment,” World health organization, 1996, http://www.who.int/mental_health/media/en/76.pdf.
- C. Zubaran and K. Foresti, “The correlation between breastfeeding and maternal quality of life in southern Brazil,” Breastfeeding Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 2011.
- Y.-C. Chen, W.-C. Chie, S.-C. Kuo, Y.-H. Lin, S.-J. Lin, and P.-C. Chen, “The association between infant feeding pattern and mother's quality of life in Taiwan,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 1281–1288, 2007.
- B. Olang, K. Farivar, A. Heidarzadeh, B. Strandvik, and A. Yngve, “Breastfeeding in Iran: prevalence, duration and current recommendations,” International Breastfeeding Journal, vol. 4, article 8, 2009.
- UNICEF, “Iran Islamic Republic of Statistics,” 2011, http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/iran_statistics.html.
- S. Mehrparvar and M. Varaeneen, “lnvestigation of decreasing causes of exclusive breastfeeding in children below six months old, in Kerman City during 2008-2009,” Journal of Fasa University of Medical Sciences, vol. 1, pp. 45–51, 2011.
- L. Rahmatnejad and F. Bastani, “Reasons of exclusive breastfeeding discontinuation among primiparas,” Iran Journal of Nursing, vol. 24, pp. 42–53, 2011.
- S. Nedjat, A. Montazeri, K. Holakouie, K. Mohammad, and R. Majdzadeh, “Psychometric properties of the Iranian interview-administered version of the World Health Organization's Quality of Life Questionnaire (WHOQOL-BREF): a population-based study,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 8, article 61, 2008.
- C. Zubaran, K. Foresti, M. V. Schumacher, L. C. Muller, and A. L. Amoretti, “An assessment of maternal quality of life in the postpartum period in southern Brazil: a comparison of two questionnaires,” Clinics, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 751–756, 2009.
- J. Webster, C. Nicholas, C. Velacott, N. Cridland, and L. Fawcett, “Validation of the WHOQOL-BREF among women following childbirth,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 132–137, 2010.
- K. A. Wambach, “Breastfeeding intention and outcome: a test of the theory of planned behavior,” Research in Nursing and Health, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 1997.
- K. H. Chaput, The Effect of Breastfeeding Difficulty and Associated Factors on Postpartum Depression, Department of Comunity Health Sciences. University of Galgary, Galgary, Canada, 2013.
- K. A. Wambach, “Maternal fatigue in breastfeeding primiparae during the first nine weeks postpartum,” Journal of Human Lactation, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 219–229, 1998.
- K. A. Wambach and S. M. Cohen, “Breastfeeding experiences of urban adolescent mothers,” Journal of Pediatric Nursing, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 244–254, 2009.
- C. Lamontagne, A.-M. Hamelin, and M. St-Pierre, “The breastfeeding experience of women with major difficulties who use the services of a breastfeeding clinic: a descriptive study,” International Breastfeeding Journal, vol. 3, article 17, 2008.
- H. Almasi, H. Saberi, and A. Moravveji, “The pattern of exclusive breast feeding in neonates under healthcares in health clinics of Kashan city during 2006,” Feyz Journal of Kashan University of Medical Sciences, vol. 14, pp. 163–168, 2010.
- S. L. Matias, L. A. Nommsen-Rivers, and K. G. Dewey, “Determinants of exclusive breastfeeding in a cohort of primiparous periurban peruvian mothers,” Journal of Human Lactation, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 45–54, 2012.
- M. Thome, E. M. Alder, and A. Ramel, “A population-based study of exclusive breastfeeding in Icelandic women: is there a relationship with depressive symptoms and parenting stress?” International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 11–20, 2006.