- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 191643, 5 pages
The Relation between Helicobacter pylori Infection and Acute Bacterial Diarrhea in Children
1Clinical and Surgical Pathology, Department of Pathology, Children Medical Center Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran 14161351, Iran
2Pediatric Infectious Disease Research Center, Children Medical Center Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran 14161351, Iran
3Department of Pathology, Tehran University of Medical Science, Tehran 1439665663, Iran
4Department of Pathology, Children Medical Center Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Science, Tehran 14161351, Iran
5Department of Gastroenterology, Tehran University of Medical Science, Tehran 1419733141, Iran
6Children Medical Center Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran 14161351, Iran
Received 31 October 2013; Revised 11 January 2014; Accepted 12 January 2014; Published 19 February 2014
Academic Editor: Alessandro Mussa
Copyright © 2014 Maryam Monajemzadeh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Gallo, C.-F. Zambon, F. Navaglia et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection in children and adults: a single pathogen but a different pathology,” Helicobacter, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2003.
- A. E. Whitney, J. Guarner, L. Hutwagner, and B. D. Gold, “Helicobacter pylori gastritis in children and adults: comparative histopathologic study,” Annals of Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 279–285, 2000.
- H. Shmuely, Z. Samra, S. Ashkenazi, G. Dinari, G. Chodick, and J. Yahav, “Association of Helicobacter pylori infection with Shigella gastroenteritis in young children,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 2041–2045, 2004.
- F. Mansour-Ghanaei, N. Taefeh, F. Joukar, S. Besharati, M. Naghipour, and R. Nassiri, “Recurrence of Helicobacter pylori infection 1 year after successful eradication: a prospective study in Northern Iran,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. CR144–CR148, 2010.
- P. M. Sherman, “Peptic ulcer disease in children—diagnosis, treatment, and the implication of Helicobacter pylori,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 707–725, 1994.
- P. Correa, “Human gastric carcinogenesis: a multistep and multifactorial process—first American Cancer Society award lecture on cancer epidemiology and prevention,” Cancer Research, vol. 52, no. 24, pp. 6735–6740, 1992.
- D. J. Passaro, D. N. Taylor, R. Meza, L. Cabrera, R. H. Gilman, and J. Parsonnet, “Acute Helicobacter pylori infection is followed by an increase in diarrheal disease among Peruvian children,” Pediatrics, vol. 108, no. 5, article E87, 2001.
- J. Parsonnet, G. D. Friedman, D. P. Vandersteen et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection and the risk of gastric carcinoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 325, no. 16, pp. 1127–1131, 1991.
- M. Monajemzadeh, M. T. H. Ashtiani, A. M. Ali et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection in children: association with giardiasis,” British Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 86–87, 2010.
- A. Raghunath, A. P. S. Hungin, D. Wooff, and S. Childs, “Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori in patients with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: systematic review,” British Medical Journal, vol. 326, no. 7392, pp. 737–739, 2003.
- F. Jafari, M. Hamidian, M. Rezadehbashi et al., “Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance of diarrheagenic Escherichia coli and Shigella species associated with acute diarrhea in Tehran, Iran,” Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases and Medical Microbiology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. e56–e62, 2009.
- R. Ranjbar, M. M. Soltan Dallal, M. Talebi, and M. R. Pourshafie, “Increased isolation and characterization of Shigella sonnei obtained from hospitalized children in Tehran, Iran,” Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 426–430, 2008.
- S. Perry, L. Sanchez, S. Yang, T. D. Haggerty, P. Hurst, and J. Parsonnet, “Helicobacter pylori and risk of gastroenteritis,” The Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 190, no. 2, pp. 303–310, 2004.
- M. K. Bhan, R. Bahl, S. Sazawal et al., “Association between Helicobacter pylori infection and increased risk of typhoid fever,” The Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 186, no. 12, pp. 1857–1860, 2002.
- D. Antoš, J. Crone, N. Konstantopoulos, and S. Koletzko, “Evaluation of a novel rapid one-step immunochromatographic assay for detection of monoclonal Helicobacter pylori antigen in stool samples from children,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 2598–2601, 2005.
- F. Jafari, L. Shokrzadeh, M. Hamidian, S. Salmanzadeh-Ahrabi, and M. R. Zali, “Acute diarrhea due to enteropathogenic bacteria in patients at hospitals in Tehran,” Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 269–273, 2008.
- S. M. El-Sheikh and S. M. El-Assouli, “Prevalence of viral, bacterial and parasitic enteropathogens among young children with acute diarrhoea in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia,” Journal of Health Population and Nutrition, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 2001.
- A. M. K. Al Jarousha, M. A. El Jarou, and I. A. El Qouqa, “Bacterial enteropathogens and risk factors associated with childhood diarrhea,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 165–170, 2011.
- M. F. Dixon, “Pathology of gastritis and peptic ulceration,” in Helicobacter Pylori: Physiology and Genetics, H. L. T. Mobley, G. L. Mendz, and S. L. Hazell, Eds., chapter 38, ASM Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- R. Goll, F. Gruber, T. Olsen et al., “Helicobacter pylori stimulates a mixed adaptive immune response with a strong T-regulatory component in human gastric mucosa,” Helicobacter, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 185–192, 2007.
- H. A. Haeberle, M. Kubin, K. B. Bamford et al., “Differential stimulation of interleukin-12 (IL-12) and IL-10 by live and killed Helicobacter pylori in vitro and association of IL-12 production with gamma interferon-producing T cells in the human gastric mucosa,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 4229–4235, 1997.
- R. Srivastava, A. Kashyap, M. Kumar, G. Nath, and A. K. Jain, “Mucosal IgA & IL-1β in Helicobacter pylori infection,” Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 19–23, 2013.
- A. Mattsson, A. Tinnert, A. Hamlet, H. Lönroth, I. Bölin, and A.-M. Svennerholm, “Specific antibodies in sera and gastric aspirates of symptomatic and asymptomatic Helicobacter pylori-infected subjects,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 288–293, 1998.
- C. J. L. Murray and A. D. Lopez, “Mortality by cause for eight regions of the world: Global Burden of Disease study,” The Lancet, vol. 349, no. 9061, pp. 1269–1276, 1997.
- A. Mattsson, H. Lönroth, M. Quiding-Järbrink, and A.-M. Svennerholm, “Induction of B cell responses in the stomach of Helicobacter pylori—infected subjects after oral cholera vaccination,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 51–56, 1998.
- J. E. Crabtree, “Immune and inflammatory responses to Helicobacter pylori infection,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 31, no. 215, pp. 3–10, 1996.
- R. Ranjbar, M. M. Soltan-Dallal, M. R. Pourshafie, and C. Mammina, “Antibiotic resistance among Shigella serogroups isolated in Tehran, Iran (2002–2004),” Journal of Infection in Developing Countries, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 647–648, 2009.
- M. Feldman, B. Cryer, K. E. McArthur, B. A. Huet, and E. Lee, “Effects of aging and gastritis on gastric acid and pepsin secretion in humans: a prospective study,” Gastroenterology, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 1043–1052, 1996.
- J. Clemens, M. J. Albert, M. Rao et al., “Impact of infection by Helicobacter pylori on the risk and severity of endemic cholera,” The Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 171, no. 6, pp. 1653–1656, 1995.
- N. Konstantopoulos, H. Rüssmann, C. Tasch et al., “Evaluation of the Helicobacter pylori stool antigen test (HpSA) for detection of Helicobacter pylori infection in children,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 677–683, 2001.
- S. Kato, K. Ozawa, M. Okuda et al., “Accuracy of the stool antigen test for the diagnosis of childhood Helicobacter pylori infection: a multicenter Japanese study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 296–300, 2003.
- M. P. Dore, R. Negrini, V. Tadeu et al., “Novel monoclonal antibody-based Helicobacter pylori stool antigen test,” Helicobacter, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 228–232, 2004.
- S. Kato, K. Nakayama, T. Minoura et al., “Comparison between the 13C-urea breath test and stool antigen test for the diagnosis of childhood Helicobacter pylori infection,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1045–1050, 2004.
- D. Rothenbacher, M. J. Blaser, G. Bode, and H. Brenner, “Inverse relationship between gastric colonization of Helicobacter pylori and diarrheal illnesses in children: results of a population-based cross-sectional study,” The Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 182, no. 5, pp. 1446–1449, 2000.
- A. Guarino, “Enterotoxic effect of the vacuolating toxin produced by Helicobacter pylori in caco-2 cells,” The Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 178, no. 5, pp. 1373–1378, 1998.
- Y. Abe, T. Koike, K. Iijima et al., “Esophageal adenocarcinoma developing after eradication of Helicobacter pylori,” Case Reports in Gastroenterology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 355–360, 2011.
- G. W. Falk, B. C. Jacobson, R. H. Riddell et al., “Barrett's esophagus: prevalence-incidence and etiology-origins,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1232, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2011.
- F. J. Xie, Y. P. Zhang, Q. Q. Zheng, et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection and esophageal cancer risk: an updated meta-analysis,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 19, no. 36, pp. 6098–6107, 2013.
- F. Kamangar, S. M. Dawsey, M. J. Blaser et al., “Opposing risks of gastric cardia and noncardia gastric adenocarcinomas associated with Helicobacter pylori seropositivity,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 98, no. 20, pp. 1445–1452, 2006.
- Y. Sakamoto, K. Oho, A. Toyonaga, M. Kumamoto, T. Haruta, H. Inoue, et al., “Effect of Helicobacter pylori infection on esophagogastric variceal bleeding in patients with liver cirrhosis and portal hypertension,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1444–1449, 2013.