- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 204807, 5 pages
Utility of Gastric Lavage in Vigorous Neonates Delivered with Meconium Stained Liquor: A Randomized Controlled Trial
Department of Pediatrics, National Institute of Medical Sciences, 4 Govind Marg, NIMS City Center, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302004, India
Received 29 January 2014; Accepted 4 April 2014; Published 24 April 2014
Academic Editor: Dharmapuri Vidyasagar
Copyright © 2014 Jatin Garg et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Davy, “Composition of meconium,” Medico-Chirurgical Transactions, vol. 27, pp. 189–197, 1844.
- H. H. Burris, “Meconium aspiration,” in Manual of Neonatal Care, chapter 35, p. 429, A Lippincott Manual, 7th edition, 2012.
- T. E. Wiswell, J. M. Tuggle, and B. D. Turner, “Meconium aspiration syndrome. Have we made a difference?” Pediatrics, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 715–721, 1990.
- E. M. Rossi, E. H. Philipson, T. G. Williams, and S. C. Kalhan, “Meconium aspiration syndrome: intrapartum and neonatal attributes,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 161, no. 5, pp. 1106–1110, 1989.
- C. Hernandez, B. B. Little, J. S. Dax, L. C. Gilstrap, and C. R. Rosenfeld, “Prediction of the severity of meconium aspiration syndrome,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 169, no. 1, pp. 61–70, 1993.
- P. J. Meis, M. Hall, J. R. Marshall, and C. J. Hobel, “Meconium passage: a new classification for risk assessment during labor,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 509–513, 1978.
- A. Narang, P. M. C. Nair, O. N. Bhakoo, and K. Vashisht, “Management of meconium stained amniotic fluid: a team approach,” Indian Pediatrics, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 9–13, 1993.
- H. Narchi and N. Kulaylat, “Is gastric lavage needed in neonates with meconium-stained amniotic fluid?” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 158, no. 4, pp. 315–317, 1999.
- H. Narchi and N. Kulayat, “Feeding problems with the first feed in neonates with meconium—stained amniotic fluid,” Paediatr Child Health, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 327–330, 1999.
- M. G. Karlowicz, “More on meconium aspiration,” Pediatrics, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 1007–1008, 1990.
- C. Cuello-García, V. González-lópez, A. Soto-González, V. López-Guevara, S. J. Fernandez-Ortiz, and M. C. Cortez-Hernandez, “Gastric lavage in healthy term newborns: a randomized controlled trial,” Anales de Pediatría, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 509–513, 2005.
- M. Singh, “Care of the baby in the labour room,” in Care of Newborn, p. 104, Sagar Publications, 7th edition, 2010.
- R. Ballard, T. Hansen, and A. Corbet, “Respiratory failure in the term infant,” in Avery’s Diseases of the Newborn, R. A. Ballard, Ed., pp. 705–722, Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 8th edition, 2005.
- M. Levene, D. Tudehope, and M. Thearle, “Neonatal depression at birth and resuscitation of the new born,” in Essential of Neonatal Medicine, M. Levene, D. Tudehope, and M. Thearle, Eds., pp. 12–23, Blackwell Science, Oxford, UK, 3rd edition, 2000.
- D. R. Marlow and B. A. Redding, “The high risk neonate,” in Textbook of Pediatric Nursing, D. R. Marlow and B. A. Redding, Eds., pp. 386–439, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 6th edition, 1988.
- M. Singh, “Care of the baby in the labour room,” in Care of Newborn, p. 277, Sagar Publications, 7th edition, 2010.
- G. Ameta, A. Upadhyay, and S. Gothwal, “Role of gastric lavage in vigorous neonates born with meconium stained amniotic fluid,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 195–198, 2013.
- R. Jimenez, “normal newborn care,” in Diagnostic and Therapeutic Protocols in Pediatrics Neonatology, A. Delgado-Rubio, Ed., 2002, http://www.aeped.es/protocols/neonatology/care-rn-normal.pdf.
- P. Sharma, S. Nangia, S. Tiwari, A. Goel, B. Singla, and A. Saili, “Gastric lavage for prevention of feeding problems in neonates with meconium stained amniotic fluid: a randomized controlled trial,” PaediatrInt Child Health. In press.
- A.-M. Widstrom, A. B. Ransjo-Arvidson, and K. Christensson, “Gastric suction in healthy newborn infants: effects on circulation and developing feeding behavior,” Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 566–572, 1987.
- K. J. S. Anand, B. Runeson, and B. Jacobson, “Gastric suction at birth associated with long-term risk for functional intestinal disorders in later life,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 144, no. 4, pp. 449–454, 2004.