- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 468538, 16 pages
Is “Bed Sharing” Beneficial and Safe during Infancy? A Systematic Review
1Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Bhubaneswar 751019, India
2Newborn Health and Knowledge Centre (NHKC), Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Received 5 October 2013; Accepted 25 November 2013; Published 30 January 2014
Academic Editor: Namık Yaşar Özbek
Copyright © 2014 Rashmi Ranjan Das et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Buranasin, “The effects of rooming-in on the success of breastfeeding and the decline in abandonment of children,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 217–220, 1991.
- World Health Organization, “Evidence for the ten steps to successful breastfeeding,” Geneva, Switzerland, World Health Organization, 1998, http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/9241591544/en/.
- S. Nakamura, M. Wind, and M. A. Danello, “Review of hazards associated with children placed in adult beds,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 153, no. 10, pp. 1019–1023, 1999.
- D. A. Drago and A. L. Dannenberg, “Infant mechanical suffocation deaths in the United States, 1980–1997,” Pediatrics, vol. 103, no. 5, article e59, 1999.
- R. W. Byard, “Is breast feeding in bed always a safe practice?” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 418–419, 1998.
- K. D. Rosenberg, “Sudden infant death syndrome and Co-sleeping,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 154, no. 5, pp. 529–530, 2000.
- H. L. Ball, P. S. Blair, and M. P. Ward-Platt, ““New” practice of bedsharing and risk of SIDS,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9420, article 1558, 2004.
- M. O'Hara, R. Harruff, J. E. Smialek, and D. R. Fowler, “Sleep location and suffocation: how good is the evidence?” Pediatrics, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 915–917, 2000.
- P. S. Blair, P. Sidebotham, C. Evason-Coombe, M. Edmonds, E. M. A. Heckstall-Smith, and P. Fleming, “Hazardous cosleeping environments and risk factors amenable to change: case-control study of SIDS in south west England,” British Medical Journal, vol. 339, Article ID b3666, 2009.
- “Newcastle-Ottawa Quality Assessment Scale: case control studies,” http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.htm.
- L. Flick, D. K. White, C. Vemulapalli, B. B. Stulac, and J. S. Kemp, “Sleep position and the use of soft bedding during bed sharing among African American infants at increased risk for sudden infant death syndrome,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 338–343, 2001.
- H. L. Ball, “Breastfeeding, bed-sharing, and infant sleep,” Birth, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 181–188, 2003.
- P. S. Blair and H. L. Ball, “The prevalence and characteristics associated with parent-infant bed-sharing in England,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 89, no. 12, pp. 1106–1110, 2004.
- R. C. McCoy, C. E. Hunt, S. M. Lesko et al., “Frequency of bed sharing and its relationship to breastfeeding,” Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 141–149, 2004.
- M. B. Lahr, K. D. Rosenberg, and J. A. Lapidus, “Maternal-infant bedsharing: risk factors for bedsharing in a population-based survey of new mothers and implications for SIDS risk reduction,” Maternal and Child Health Journal, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 277–286, 2007.
- P. S. Blair, J. Heron, and P. J. Fleming, “Relationship between bed sharing and breastfeeding: longitudinal, population-based analysis,” Pediatrics, vol. 126, no. 5, pp. e1119–e1126, 2010.
- K. L. Tan, “Factors associated with exclusive breastfeeding among infants under six months of age in peninsular malaysia,” International Breastfeeding Journal, vol. 6, article 2, 2011.
- P. Möllborg, G. Wennergren, S. G. Norvenius, and B. Alm, “Bed-sharing among six-month-old infants in western Sweden,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 226–230, 2011.
- H. Klonoff-Cohen and S. L. Edelstein, “Bed sharing and the sudden infant death syndrome,” British Medical Journal, vol. 311, no. 7015, pp. 1269–1272, 1995.
- H. Brooke, A. Gibson, D. Tappin, and H. Brown, “Case-control study of sudden infant death syndrome in Scotland, 1992–5,” British Medical Journal, vol. 314, no. 7093, pp. 1516–1520, 1997.
- M. P. L'Hoir, A. C. Engelberts, G. T. J. Van Well et al., “Case-control study of current validity of previously described risk factors for SIDS in the Netherlands,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 386–393, 1998.
- P. S. Blair, P. J. Fleming, I. J. Smith et al., “Babies sleeping with parents: case-control study of factors influencing the risk of the sudden infant death syndrome,” British Medical Journal, vol. 319, no. 7223, pp. 1457–1461, 1999.
- M. Arnestad, M. Andersen, Å. Vege, and T. O. Rognum, “Changes in the epidemiological pattern of sudden infant death syndrome in southeast Norway, 1984–1998: implications for future prevention and research,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 108–115, 2001.
- S. M. Williams, E. A. Mitchell, and B. J. Taylor, “Are risk factors for sudden infant death syndrome different at night?” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 274–278, 2002.
- R. G. Carpenter, L. M. Irgens, P. S. Blair et al., “Sudden unexplained infant death in 20 regions in Europe: case control study,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9404, pp. 185–191, 2004.
- V. Bubnaitiene, R. Kalediene, and R. Kevalas, “Case-control study sudden infant death syndrome in Lithuania, 1997–2000,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 5, article 41, 2005.
- C. McGarvey, M. McDonnell, K. Hamilton, M. O'Regan, and T. Matthews, “An 8 year study of risk factors for SIDS: bed-sharing versus non-bed-sharing,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 318–323, 2006.
- J. H. Ruys, G. A. De Jonge, R. Brand, A. C. Engelberts, and B. A. Semmekrot, “Bed-sharing in the first four months of life: a risk factor for sudden infant death,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 96, no. 10, pp. 1399–1403, 2007.
- M. M. Vennemann, T. Bajanowski, B. Brinkmann, G. Jorch, C. Sauerland, and E. A. Mitchell, “Sleep environment risk factors for sudden infant death syndrome: the German sudden infant death syndrome study,” Pediatrics, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 1162–1170, 2009.
- L. Y. Fu, R. Y. Moon, and F. R. Hauck, “Bed sharing among black infants and sudden infant death syndrome: interactions with other known risk factors,” Academic Pediatrics, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 376–382, 2010.
- WHO, “Indicators for assessing infant and young child feeding practices: part III Country Profiles,” http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/infantfeeding/9789241599757/en/index.html.
- S. D. Buswell and D. L. Spatz, “Parent-infant co-sleeping and its relationship to breastfeeding,” Journal of Pediatric Health Care, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 22–28, 2007.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Section on Breastfeeding, “Breastfeeding and the use of human milk,” Pediatrics, vol. 115, pp. 496–506, 2005.
- M. M. Vennemann, H.-W. Hense, T. Bajanowski et al., “Bed sharing and the risk of sudden infant death syndrome: can we resolve the debate?” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 44–48, 2012.
- E. A. S. Nelson, K.-F. To, Y.-Y. Wong et al., “Hong Kong case-control study of sudden unexpected infant death,” New Zealand Medical Journal, vol. 118, no. 1227, Article ID U1788, 2005.
- SIDS Family Association Japan, “The SIDS Prevention Campaign,” 2012, http://www.sids.gr.jp/en/recent_projects.html.
- M. M. Vennemann, T. Bajanowski, B. Brinkmann et al., “Does breastfeeding reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome?” Pediatrics, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. e406–e410, 2009.
- F. R. Hauck, J. M. D. Thompson, K. O. Tanabe, R. Y. Moon, and M. M. Vennemann, “Breastfeeding and reduced risk of sudden infant death syndrome: a meta-analysis,” Pediatrics, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 103–110, 2011.
- T. Horsley, T. Clifford, N. Barrowman et al., “Benefits and harms associated with the practice of bed sharing a systematic review,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 237–245, 2007.
- R. Y. Moon, R. A. Darnall, M. H. Goodstein et al., “SIDS and other sleep-related infant deaths: expansion of recommendations for a safe infant sleeping environment,” Pediatrics, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 1030–1039, 2011.
- C. E. Hunt and F. R. Hauck, “Sudden infant death syndrome,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 174, no. 13, pp. 1861–1869, 2006.
- P. S. Blair, M. W. Platt, I. J. Smith, and P. J. Fleming, “Sudden infant death syndrome and sleeping position in pre-term and low birth weight infants: an opportunity for targeted intervention,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 101–106, 2006.
- R. Y. Moon and L. Fu, “Sudden infant death syndrome: an update,” Pediatrics in Review, vol. 33, pp. 314–320, 2012.