- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 583207, 7 pages
Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity in Children and Adolescents from the Age Range of 2 to 19 Years Old in Brazil
1Division of Health Sciences, Núcleo de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento da Saúde (NUPEDS), Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, 88900-000 Araranguá, SC, Brazil
2Division of Sport and Medicine, Núcleo de Cardiologia e Medicina do Exercício (CEFID), Universidade Estadual de Santa Catarina, 88080-350 Florianópolis, SC, Brazil
Received 15 February 2014; Revised 26 April 2014; Accepted 2 May 2014; Published 3 June 2014
Academic Editor: Dharmapuri Vidyasagar
Copyright © 2014 Janaina R. Niehues et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, Obesity, 2013, http://www.who.int/topics/obesity/en/.
- G. A. P. Silva, G. Balaban, M. M. V. Freitas, J. D. Baracho, and E. M. M. Nascimento, “Overweight and obesity prevalence among preschool children of two privates schools in Recife in the state of Pernambuco,” Revista Brasileira de Saúde Materno Infantil, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 323–327, 2003.
- M. A. Paschoal, P. F. Trevizan, and N. F. Scodeler, “Variabilidade da frequência cardíaca, lípides e capacidade física de crianças obesas e não-obesas,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 239–246, 2009.
- J. Jones, L. Wolfenden, R. Wyse, et al., “A randomised controlled trial of an intervention to facilitate the implementation of healthy eating and physical activity policies and practices in childcare services,” BMJ Open, vol. 4, no. 4, Article ID e005312, 2014.
- K. R. Laurson, J. A. Lee, D. A. Gentile, D. A. Walsh, and J. C. Eisenmann, “Concurrent associations between physical activity, screen time, and sleep duration with childhood obesity,” ISRN Obesity, vol. 2014, Article ID 204540, 6 pages, 2014.
- J. Wang, “Consumption of added sugars and development of metabolic syndrome components among a sample of youth at risk of obesity,” Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, vol. 39, no. 4, p. 512, 2014.
- World Health Organization, Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health. 2013b, http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/childhood/en/.
- World Health Organization, The WHO Child Growth Standards. 2013c, http://www.who.int/childgrowth/en/index.html.
- World Health Organization, 10 facts on obesity. 2013d, http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/obesity/facts/en/index1.html.
- J. Ananthapavan, G. Sacks, M. Moodie, and R. Carter, “Economics of obesity-learning from the past to contribute to a better future,” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 4007–4025, 2014.
- C. M. Apovian, “The clinical and economic consequences of obesity,” American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 19, supplement 11, pp. s219–s228, 2013.
- IBGE, Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística. Pesquisa de Orçamentos Familiares 2008-2009 (Antropometria e estado nutricional de crianças, adolescentes e adultos no Brasil). 2010, http://www.ibge.gov.br/home/presidencia/noticias/imprensa/ppts/0000000108.pdf.
- E. A. Hodges, C. Smith, S. Tidwell, and D. Berry, “Promoting physical activity in preschoolers to prevent obesity: a review of the literature,” Journal of Pediatric Nursing, vol. 28, pp. 3–19, 2013.
- R. N. Pergher, M. E. De Melo, A. Halpern, and M. C. Mancini, “Is a diagnosis of metabolic syndrome applicable to children?” Jornal de Pediatria, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 101–108, 2010.
- D. Moher, A. Liberati, J. Tetzlaff, D. G. Altman, and The PRISMA Group, “Preferred reporting items of systematic review and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement,” PLOS Medicine, vol. 7, no. 7, Article ID e1000097, 2009.
- World Health Organization, Physical Status: Use and Interpretation of Anthropometry, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995.
- A. S. Kelly, S. E. Barlow, G. Rao, et al., “Severe obesity in children and adolescents: identification, associated health risks, and treatment approaches: a scientific statement from the american heart association,” Circulation, vol. 128, no. 15, pp. 1689–1712, 2013.
- D. A. Silva, J. Berria, L. R. Grigollo, and E. L. Petroski, “Prevalence and factors associated with high body fat in adolescents from a region of Brazil,” Journal of Community Health, vol. 37, pp. 791–798, 2012.
- E. M. Reuter, C. P. Reuter, L. T. Burgos, et al., “Obesity and arterial hypertension in schoolchildren from Santa Cruz do Sul—RS, Brazil,” Revista da Associação Médica Brasileira, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 666–672, 2012.
- A. D. M. Mello, S. S. Marcon, A. P. C. R. Hulsmeyer, G. B. P. Cattai, C. S. L. S. Ayres, and R. G. Santana, “Prevalence of overweight and obesity in six to ten year-old students from urban county schools,” Revista Paulista de Pediatria, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 48–54, 2010.
- M. S. Burgos, C. P. Reuter, L. T. Burgos, et al., “Comparison analysis of blood pressure, obesity, and cardio-respiratory fitness in schoolchildren,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 94, pp. 788–793, 2010.
- H. M. S. Cimadon, R. Geremia, and L. C. Pellanda, “Dietary habits and risk factors for atherosclerosis in students from Bento Gonçalves (state of Rio Grande do Sul),” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 166–172, 2010.
- R. M. Triches and E. R. J. Giugliani, “Obesity, eating habits and nutritional knowledge among school children,” Revista de Saude Publica, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 541–547, 2005.
- N. G. Terres, R. T. Pinheiro, B. L. Horta, K. A. T. Pinheiro, and L. L. Horta, “Prevalence and factors associated to overweight and obesity in adolescents,” Revista de Saúde Pública, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 627–633, 2006.
- I. A. R. Mazaro, M. L. Zanolli, M. A. Antonio, A. M. Morcillo, and M. P. Zambon, “Obesity and cardiovascular risk factors in school children from Sorocaba, SP,” Revista da Associação Médica Brasileira, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 674–680, 2011.
- A. Pereira, A. D. Guedes, I. T. N. Verreschi, R. D. Santos, and T. L. R. Martinez, “Obesity and its association with other cardiovascular risk factors in school children in Itapetininga, Brazil,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 253–260, 2009.
- M. C. M. Pinto and A. C. Oliveira, “Occurrence of child obesity in preschool childrenin a São Paulo day- care center,” Einstein, vol. 7, no. 2, part 1, pp. 170–175, 2009.
- A. L. N. Fagundes, D. C. RibeiroI, L. Naspitz, et al., “Prevalence of overweight and obesity in school children of Parelheiros region in São Paulo city, Brazil,” Revista Paulista de Pediatria, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 212–217, 2008.
- L. Mondini, R. B. Levy, S. R. D. M. Saldiva, S. I. Venâncio, J. D. A. Aguiar, and M. L. R. Stefanini, “Overweight, obesity and associated factors in first grade schoolchildren in a city of the metropolitan region of São Paulo, Brazil,” Cadernos de Saude Publica, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1825–1834, 2007.
- V. M. De Queiroz, P. V. L. Moreira, T. H. C. De Vasconcelos, and R. P. De Toledo Vianna, “Prevalence and anthropometric predictors of high blood pressure in schoolchildren from João Pessoa-PB, Brazil,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 629–634, 2010.
- R. M. Tassitano, M. V. G. D. Barros, M. C. M. Tenório, J. Bezerra, and P. C. Hallal, “Prevalence of overweight and obesity and associated factors among public high school students in Pernambuco State, Brazil,” Cadernos de Saúde Pública, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2639–2652, 2009.
- M. M. A. Nunes, J. N. Figueiroa, and J. G. B. Alves, “Overweight, physical activity and foods habits in adolescents from different economic levels, Campina Grande (PB),” Revista da Associacao Medica Brasileira, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 130–134, 2007.
- A. S. Ribas and L. C. S. Silva, “Dyslipidemia in schoolchildren from private schools in Belém,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 446–451, 2009.
- R. Giugliano and E. C. Carneiro, “Factors associated with obesity in school children,” Jornal de Pediatria, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2004.
- Brasil, Ministério da Saúde. Centro Brasileiro de Análise e Planejamento: PesquisA Nacional de Demografia e Saúde da Criança e da Mulher (PNDS, 2006). Relatório Final. Brasília-DF.; 2008, http://www.saude.gov.br/pnds2006.
- A. C. Skinner and J. A. Skelton, “Prevalence and trends in obesity and severe obesity among children in the United States, 1999–2012,” JAMA Pediatrics, 2014.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012,” JAMA Pediatrics, vol. 311, no. 8, pp. 806–814, 2014.
- J. A. Rivera, T. G. de Cossío, L. S. Pedraza, T. C. Aburto, T. G. Sánchez, and R. Martorell, “Childhood and adolescent overweight and obesity in Latin America: a systematic review,” The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 321–332, 2014.
- L. A. Anjos, Obesidade e Saúde Pública, Editora Fiocruz, Rio de Janeiro, 2006.
- V. Abril, B. Manuel-y-keenoy, R. Solà, et al., “Prevalence of overweight and obesity among 6-to 9-year-old school children in Cuenca, Ecuador: relationship with physical activity, poverty, and eating habits,” Food and Nutrition Bulletin, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 388–401, 2013.
- L. K. Micklesfield, T. M. Pedro, K. Kahn, et al., “Physical activity and sedentary behavior among adolescents in rural South Africa: levels, patterns and correlates,” BMC Public Health, vol. 14, p. 40, 2014.
- E. Zienkiewicz, M. Okoński, L. Matuszewski, T. Zienkiewicz, M. Goździewska, and M. Klatka, “Influence of urbanization level and gross domestic product on the prevalence of adolescent obesity in Poland,” Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 136–142, 2014.
- L. Nasreddine, F. Naja, C. Akl, et al., “Dietary, lifestyle and socio-economic correlates of overweight, obesity and central adiposity in Lebanese children and adolescents,” Nutrients, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1038–1052, 2014.
- B. Gopinath, J. C. Louie, V. M. Flood, et al., “Influence of obesogenic behaviors on health-related quality of life in adolescents,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 121–127, 2014.
- K. Patrick, G. J. Norman, K. J. Calfas et al., “Diet, physical activity, and sedentary behaviors as risk factors for overweight in adolescence,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 158, no. 4, pp. 385–390, 2004.
- I. N. Bezerra and R. Sichieri, “Eating out of home and obesity: a Brazilian nationwide survey,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 2037–2043, 2009.
- C. Maitland, G. Stratton, S. Foster, R. Braham, and M. Rosenberg, “A place for play? The influence of the home physical environment on children's physical activity and sedentary behaviour,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 10, p. 99, 2013.
- D. Thivel and J. P. Chaput, “Food consumption in children and youth: effect of sedentary activities,” Revue d'Épidémiologie et de Santé Publique, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 399–405, 2013.
- B. B. Duncan, D. Chor, E. M. L. Aquino, et al., “Doenças crônicas não transmissíveis no Brasil: prioridade para enfrentamento e investigação,” Revista de Saúde Pública, vol. 46, supplement 1, pp. 126–134, 2012.
- J. J. Reilly, “Descriptive epidemiology and health consequences of childhood obesity,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 327–341, 2005.
- J. W. Noh, Y. Kim, I. Oh, and Y. D. Kwon, “Influences of socioeconomic factors on childhood and adolescent overweight by gender in Korea: cross-sectional analysis of nationally representative sample,” BMC Public Health, vol. 14, p. 324, 2014.
- M. B. Neutzling, J. A. A. C. Taddei, E. M. Rodrigues, and D. M. Sigulem, “Overweight and obesity in Brazilian adolescents,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 869–874, 2000.
- D. Damiani, D. P. Carvalho, and R. G. Oliveira, “Obesidade na infância: um grande desafio,” Pediatria Moderna, vol. 36, pp. 489–528, 2000.
- V. Gremeaux, J. Drigny, A. Nigam, et al., “Long-term lifestyle intervention with optimized high-intensity interval training improves body composition, cardiometabolic risk, and exercise parameters in patients with abdominal obesity,” American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, vol. 91, no. 11, pp. 941–950, 2012.
- C. Dalzill, A. Nigam, M. Juneau, et al., “Intensive lifestyle intervention improves cardiometabolic and exercise parameters in metabolically healthy obese and metabolically unhealthy obese individuals,” Canadian Journal of Cardiology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 434–440, 2014.
- T. Reinehr, “Lifestyle intervention in childhood obesity: changes and challenges,” Nature Reviews Endocrinology, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 607–614, 2013.
- T. Nguyen and D. C. Lau, “The obesity epidemic and its impact on hypertension,” Canadian Journal of Cardiology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 326–333, 2012.
- L. Trasande and S. Chatterjee, “The impact of obesity on health service utilization and costs in childhood,” Obesity, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1749–1754, 2009.
- C. H. Mizuno, O Custo da Obesidade no Brasil: A Importância da Avaliação Econômica na Tomada de Decisão em Políticas Públicas de Prevenção em Saúde, Trabalho de Conclusão de Curso, São Paulo, Brazil, 2010.