- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 703942, 7 pages
Critical Analysis of PIM2 Score Applicability in a Tertiary Care PICU in Western India
1Department of Pediatrics, Pramukhswami Medical College, Karamsad, Anand, Gujarat 388325, India
2Central Research Services, Charutar Arogya Mandal, Karamsad, Anand, Gujarat 388325, India
Received 12 January 2014; Revised 20 March 2014; Accepted 8 April 2014; Published 27 April 2014
Academic Editor: Hans Juergen Laws
Copyright © 2014 Vivek V. Shukla et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “2011 revision of United Nations world population prospects reports by 5 years average,” http://esa.un.org/wpp/Other-Information/faq.htm.
- American Heart Association, “PALS Course Guide,” http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAndECC/HealthcareTraining/Pediatrics/Pediatric-Advanced-Life-Support-PALS_UCM_303705_Article.jsp.
- “Pediatric golden hour of emergency management,” Indian Academy of Pediatrics. Course guide.
- J. A. Carcillo, B. A. Kuch, Y. Y. Han et al., “Mortality and functional morbidity after use of PALS/APLS by community physicians,” Pediatrics, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 500–508, 2009.
- P. Fulbrook and D. Foxcroft, “Measuring the outcome of paediatric intensive care,” Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 44–51, 1999.
- G. Pearson, P. Barry, C. Timmins, J. Stickley, and M. Hocking, “Changes in the profile of paediatric intensive care associated with centralisation,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1670–1673, 2001.
- D. A. Harrison, A. R. Brady, and K. Rowan, “Case mix, outcome and length of stay for admissions to adult, general critical care units in England, Wales and Northern Ireland: the Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre Case Mix Programme Database,” Critical Care, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. R99–R111, 2004.
- C. Pileggi, G. Raffaele, and I. F. Angelillo, “Paediatric utilization of an emergency department in Italy,” European Journal of Public Health, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 565–569, 2006.
- S. Kinney, J. Tibballs, L. Johnston, and T. Duke, “Clinical profile of hospitalized children provided with urgent assistance from a medical emergency team,” Pediatrics, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. e1577–e1584, 2008.
- E. Ben-Isaac, S. M. Schrager, M. Keefer, and A. Y. Chen, “National profile of nonemergent pediatric emergency department visits,” Pediatrics, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 454–459, 2010.
- A. Downing and G. Rudge, “A study of childhood attendance at emergency departments in the West Midlands region,” Emergency Medicine Journal, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 391–393, 2006.
- K. M. S. Choi, D. K. K. Ng, S. F. Wong et al., “Assessment of the Pediatric Index of Mortality (PIM) and the Pediatric Risk of Mortality (PRISM) III score for prediction of mortality in a paediatric intensive care unit in Hong Kong,” Hong Kong Medical Journal, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 97–103, 2005.
- S. Singhi, G. Gupta, and V. Jain, “Comparison of pediatric emergency patients in a tertiary care hospital vs. a community hospital,” Indian Pediatrics, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 67–72, 2004.
- P. Khilnani, D. Sarma, R. Singh et al., “Demographic profile and outcome analysis of a tertiary level pediatric intensive care unit,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 587–591, 2004.
- P. Garg, “Pediatric hospitalizations at two different setting community hospitals in north India: implications for regionalization of care,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 711–716, 2009.
- PICANeT Paediatric Intensive Care Audit Network, “University of Leeds and University of Leicester Annual Report of the Paediatric Intensive Care Audit Network,” 2008, http://www.picanet.org.uk.
- Report of the Australian and New Zealand Paediatric Intensive Care Registry, Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society (ANZICS), 2010, http://www.anzics.com.au/core/reports.
- S. Singhi, V. Jain, and G. Gupta, “Pediatric emergencies at a tertiary care hospital in India,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 207–211, 2003.
- I. Santhanam, M. Pai, K. R. Kasturi, and M. P. Radhamani, “Mortality after admission in the pediatric emergency department: a prospective study from a referral children's hospital in Southern India,” Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 358–363, 2002.
- P. E. Marik and J. Varon, “Severity scoring and outcome assessment: computerized predictive models and scoring systems,” Critical Care Clinics, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 633–646, 1999.
- J. Rogers and H. D. Fuller, “Use of daily Acute Physiology and Chronic Health Evaluation (APACHE) II scores to predict individual patient survival rate,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1402–1405, 1994.
- J. E. Zimmerman, “Measuring intensive care unit performance: a way to move forward,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 2149–2150, 2002.
- R. B. Becker and J. E. Zimmerman, “ICU scoring systems allow prediction of patient outcomes and comparison of ICU performance,” Critical Care Clinics, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 503–514, 1996.
- J. Mestrovic, G. Kardum, B. Polic, A. Omazic, L. Stricevic, and A. Sustic, “Applicability of the Australian and New Zealand Paediatric Intensive Care Registry diagnostic codes and Paediatric Index of Mortality 2 scoring system in a Croatian paediatric intensive care unit,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 164, no. 12, pp. 783–784, 2005.
- D. K. Ng, T.-Y. Miu, W.-K. Chiu, N.-T. Hui, and C.-H. Chan, “Validation of Pediatric Index of Mortality 2 in three pediatric intensive care units in Hong Kong,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 1491–1494, 2011.
- S. Hariharan, K. Krishnamurthy, and D. Grannum, “Validation of Pediatric Index of Mortality-2 scoring system in a pediatric intensive care unit, Barbados,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 9–13, 2011.
- A. Wolfler, P. Silvani, M. Musicco et al., “Pediatric Index of Mortality 2 score in Italy: a multicenter, prospective, observational study,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1407–1413, 2007.
- F. Shann, G. Pearson, A. Slater, and K. Wilkinson, “Paediatric Index of Mortality (PIM): a mortality prediction model for children in intensive care,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 201–207, 1997.
- A. Slater, F. Shann, and G. Pearson, “PIM2: a revised version of the Paediatric Index of Mortality,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 278–285, 2003.
- S. Lemeshow and J.-R. le Gall, “Modeling the severity of illness of ICU patients: a systems update,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 272, no. 13, pp. 1049–1055, 1994.
- S. Lemeshow, J. Klar, and D. Teres, “Outcome prediction for individual intensive care patients: useful, misused, or abused?” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 770–776, 1995.
- A. Laupacis, N. Sekar, and I. G. Stiell, “Clinical prediction rules: a review and suggested modifications of methodological standards,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 277, no. 6, pp. 488–494, 1997.