- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 906128, 7 pages
Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Children of Middle Eastern Descent
1School of Women’s and Children’s Health, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
2Department of Gastroenterology, Sydney Children’s Hospital, High Street, Randwick, Sydney, NSW 2031, Australia
3Department of Pediatrics, University of Otago (Christchurch), Christchurch 8140, New Zealand
Received 30 October 2013; Revised 16 January 2014; Accepted 12 May 2014; Published 2 June 2014
Academic Editor: Sandeep Gupta
Copyright © 2014 Christina Mai Ying Naidoo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Cosgrove, R. F. Al-Atia, and H. R. Jenkins, “The epidemiology of paediatric inflammatory bowel disease,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 460–461, 1996.
- V. Ahuja and R. K. Tandon, “Inflammatory bowel disease in the Asia-Pacific area: a comparison with developed countries and regional differences,” Journal of Digestive Diseases, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 134–147, 2010.
- E. I. Benchimol, K. J. Fortinsky, P. Gozdyra, M. Van Den Heuvel, J. Van Limbergen, and A. M. Griffiths, “Epidemiology of pediatric inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic review of international trends,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 423–439, 2011.
- M. I. El Mouzan, A. M. Abdullah, and M. T. Al Habbal, “Epidemiology of juvenile-onset inflammatory bowel disease in Central Saudi Arabia,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 69–71, 2006.
- E. I. Benchimol, A. Guttmann, A. M. Griffiths et al., “Increasing incidence of paediatric inflammatory bowel disease in Ontario, Canada: evidence from health administrative data,” Gut, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 1490–1497, 2009.
- J. A. Walker-Smith, E. Lebenthal, and D. Branski, Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Perspective and Consequences, Karger, London, UK, 2009.
- H. Yang, C. McElree, M.-P. Roth, F. Shanahan, S. R. Targan, and J. I. Rotter, “Familial empirical risks for inflammatory bowel disease: differences between Jews and non-Jews,” Gut, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 517–524, 1993.
- J. I. Rotter, H. Yang, and T. Shohat, “Genteic complexitites of inflammatory bowel disease and its distribution among the Jewish people,” in Genetic Diversity Among Jews: Disease and Markers at the DNA Level, pp. 395–411, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1992.
- V. Pinsk, D. A. Lemberg, K. Grewal, C. C. Barker, R. A. Schreiber, and K. Jacobson, “Inflammatory bowel disease in the South Asian pediatric population of British Columbia,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 1077–1083, 2007.
- I. Carr and J. F. Mayberry, “The effects of migration on ulcerative colitis: a three-year prospective study among Europeans and first- and second-generation South Asians in Leicester (1991–1994),” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 94, no. 10, pp. 2918–2922, 1999.
- C. S. J. Probert, V. Jayanthi, D. Pinder, A. C. Wicks, and J. F. Mayberry, “Epidemiological study of ulcerative proctocolitis in Indian migrants and the indigenous population of Leicestershire,” Gut, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 687–693, 1992.
- J. Wilson, C. Hair, R. Knight et al., “High incidence of inflammatory bowel disease in Australia: a prospective population-based Australian incidence study,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1550–1556, 2010.
- N. Phavichitr, D. J. S. Cameron, and A. G. Catto-Smith, “Increasing incidence of Crohn's disease in Victorian children,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 329–332, 2003.
- M. S. Silverberg, J. Satsangi, T. Ahmad et al., “Toward an integrated clinical, molecular and serological classification of inflammatory bowel disease: report of a Working Party of the 2005 Montreal World Congress of Gastroenterology,” Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 19, supplement A, pp. 5–36.
- S. Danese, M. Sans, and C. Fiocchi, “Inflammatory bowel disease: the role of environmental factors,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 394–400, 2004.
- N. A. Koloski, L. Bret, and G. Radford-Smith, “Hygiene hypothesis in inflammatory bowel disease: a critical review of the literature,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 165–173, 2008.
- M. Barreiro-de Acosta, A. Alvarez Castro, R. Souto, M. Iglesias, A. Lorenzo, and J. E. Dominguez-Muñoz, “Emigration to western industrialized countries: a risk factor for developing inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Crohn's and Colitis, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 566–569, 2011.
- M. I. El Mouzan, M. A. Al Mofarreh, A. M. Assiri, Y. H. Hamid, A. M. Al Jebreen, and N. A. Azzam, “Presenting features of childhood-onset inflammatory bowel disease in the central region of Saudi Arabia,” Saudi Medical Journal, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 423–428, 2012.
- C. N. Bernstein, J. F. Blanchard, P. Rawsthorne, and A. Wajda, “Epidemiology of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis in a central Canadian province: a population-based study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 149, no. 10, pp. 916–924, 1999.
- S. Kugathasan, R. H. Judd, R. G. Hoffmann et al., “Epidemiologic and clinical characteristics of children with newly diagnosed inflammatory bowel disease in Wisconsin: a statewide population-based study,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 143, no. 4, pp. 525–531, 2003.
- A. Sawczenko, B. K. Sandhu, R. F. A. Logan et al., “Prospective survey of childhood inflammatory bowel disease in the British Isles,” The Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9262, pp. 1093–1094, 2001.
- W. Al-Qabandi, E. Buhamrah, K. Hamadi, S. Al-Osaimi, A. Al-Ruwayeh, and J. Madda, “Inflammatory bowel disease in children, an evolving problem in Kuwait,” Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 323–327, 2011.
- D. A. Lemberg, C. M. Clarkson, T. D. Bohane, and A. S. Day, “Role of esophagogastroduodenoscopy in the initial assessment of children with inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1696–1700, 2005.
- T. Ruuska, P. Vaajalahti, P. Arajarvi, and M. Maki, “Prospective evaluation of upper gastrointestinal mucosal lesions in children with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 181–186, 1994.
- E. Schmidt-Sommerfeld, B. S. Kirschner, and J. K. Stephens, “Endoscopic and histologic findings in the upper gastrointestinal tract of children with Crohn's disease,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 448–454, 1990.
- J. Van Limbergen, R. K. Russell, H. E. Drummond et al., “Definition of phenotypic characteristics of childhood-onset inflammatory bowel disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 135, no. 4, pp. 1114–1122, 2008.
- J. Markowitz, K. Grancher, N. Kohn, M. Lesser, and F. Daum, “A multicenter trial of 6-mercaptopurine and prednisone in children with newly diagnosed Crohn's disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 895–902, 2000.
- O. I. Saadah, “Childhood onset of Crohn disease: experience from a university teaching hospital in Saudi Arabia,” Annals of Saudi Medicine, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 596–602, 2012.
- R. Heuschkel, C. Salvestrini, R. M. Beattie, H. Hildebrand, T. Walters, and A. Griffiths, “Guidelines for the management of growth failure in childhood inflammatory bowel disease,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 839–849, 2008.
- A. Levine, A. Griffiths, J. Markowitz et al., “Pediatric modification of the Montreal classification for inflammatory bowel disease: the Paris classification,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1314–1321, 2011.
- A. B. Ballinger, M. O. Savage, and I. R. Sanderson, “Delayed puberty associated with inflammatory bowel disease,” Pediatric Research, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 205–210, 2003.