- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 921823, 5 pages
Prevalence of Dental Caries in relation to Body Mass Index, Daily Sugar Intake, and Oral Hygiene Status in 12-Year-Old School Children in Mathura City: A Pilot Study
1Department of Public Health Dentistry, Dasmesh Institute of Research and Dental Sciences, Faridkot, Punjab 151203, India
2Department of Prosthodontics, Dasmesh Institute of Research and Dental Sciences, Faridkot, Punjab 151203, India
3Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, Dasmesh Institute of Research and Dental Sciences, Faridkot, Punjab 151203, India
Received 20 August 2013; Revised 31 December 2013; Accepted 2 January 2014; Published 12 February 2014
Academic Editor: Alessandro Mussa
Copyright © 2014 Prahlad Gupta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Reich, A. Lussi, and E. Newbrun, “Caries-risk assessment,” International Dental Journal, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 15–26, 1999.
- B. L. Edelstein, “The dental caries pandemic and disparities problem,” BMC Oral Health, vol. 6, no. 1, article no. S2, 2006.
- P. C. Baehni and B. Guggenheim, “Potential of diagnostic microbiology for treatment and prognosis of dental caries and periodontal diseases,” Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 259–277, 1996.
- Caries for 12-Year-Olds by Country/Area, 2010, http://www.whocollab.od.mah.se/countriesalphab.html.
- J. K. Dash, P. K. Sahoo, S. K. Bhuyan, and S. K. Sahoo, “Prevalence of dental caries and treatment needs among children of Cuttack (Orissa),” Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 139–143, 2002.
- A. Pinto, S. Kim, R. Wadenya, and H. Rosenberg, “Is there an association between weight and dental caries among pediatric patients in an urban dental school? A correlation study,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 71, no. 11, pp. 1435–1440, 2007.
- Obesity in India, 2010, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_India.
- M. Sadeghi and F. Alizadeh, “Association between dental caries and body mass index-for-age among 6-11-year-old children in Isfahan in 2007,” Journal of Dental Research, Dental Clinics, Dental Prospects, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 119–124, 2007.
- D. T. Kopycka-Kedzierawski, P. Auinger, R. J. Billings, and M. Weitzman, “Caries status and overweight in 2- to 18-year-old US children: Findings from national surveys,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 157–167, 2008.
- E. W. Gerdin, M. Angbratt, K. Aronsson, E. Eriksson, and I. Johansson, “Dental caries and body mass index by socio-economic status in Swedish children,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 459–465, 2008.
- B. A. Burt and S. Pai, “Sugar consumption and caries risk: a systematic review,” Journal of dental education, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 1017–1023, 2001.
- S. Petti, G. Tarsitani, P. Panfili, and A. S. D'Arca, “Oral hygiene, sucrose consumption and dental caries prevalence in adolescent systemic fluoride non-users,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 334–336, 1997.
- R. J. Kuczmarski, C. L. Ogden, S. S. Guo et al., “2000 CDC Growth Charts for the United States: methods and development,” National Center for Health Statistics, vol. 11, no. 246, pp. 1–201, 2002.
- World Health Organization, Oral Health Surveys—Basic Methods, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 4 edition, 1997.
- J. C. Greene and J. R. Vermillion, “The simplified oral hygiene index,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 68, pp. 7–13, 1964.
- M. L. Darby and M. M. Walsh, “Nutritional counseling,” in Dental Hygiene Theory and Practice, pp. 567–568, Saunders, 2nd edition, 2003.
- J. David, N. J. Wang, A. N. Åstrøm, and S. Kuriakose, “Dental caries and associated factors in 12-year-old schoolchildren in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India,” International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 420–428, 2005.
- P. Tramini, N. Molinari, M. Tentscher, C. Demattei, and A. G. Schulte, “Association between caries experience and body mass index in 12-year-old French children,” Caries Research, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 468–473, 2009.
- K. R. Kantovitz, F. M. Pascon, R. M. P. Rontani, and M. B. D. Gavião, “Obesity and dental caries—a systematic review,” Oral Health & Preventive Dentistry, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 137–144, 2006.
- C. Hayedn, J. O. Bowler, S. Chambers et al., “Obesity and Dental caries in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 289–308, 2013.
- D. S. Ludwig, K. E. Peterson, and S. L. Gortmaker, “Relation between consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks and childhood obesity: a prospective, observational analysis,” The Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9255, pp. 505–508, 2001.
- C. Loveren, “Diet and dental caries: cariogenicity may depend more on oral hygiene using fluorides than on diet or type of carbohydrates,” European Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 1, pp. 55–62, 2000.
- Oral Hygiene Indices. Introduction, 2010, http://www.whocollab.od.mah.se/expl/ohiintrod.html.
- G. Sogi and D. J. Bhaskar, “Dental caries and oral hygiene status of 13-14 year old school children of Davangere,” Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 113–117, 2001.