- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 937212, 5 pages
The Effect of Probiotics on Childhood Constipation: A Randomized Controlled Double Blind Clinical Trial
1Department of Pediatrics, Zanjan Metabolic Disease Research Center, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
2Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
3Department of Pediatrics, Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
4Department of Epidemiology, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
5Department of Pediatrics, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
Received 14 December 2013; Revised 19 February 2014; Accepted 25 February 2014; Published 9 April 2014
Academic Editor: Joel R. Rosh
Copyright © 2014 M. Sadeghzadeh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Saneian, K. Tavakkol, P. Adhamian, and A. Gholamrezaei, “Comparison of Lactobacillus sporogenes plus mineral oil and mineral oil alone in the treatment of childhood functional constipation,” Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 85–88, 2013.
- S. M. Mugie, C. di Lorenzo, and M. A. Benninga, “Constipation in childhood,” Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 502–511, 2011.
- N.-L. Bekkali, M. E. J. Bongers, M. M. van den Berg, O. Liem, and M. A. Benninga, “The role of a probiotics mixture in the treatment of childhood constipation: a pilot study,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 6, article 17, 2007.
- H. Saneian and N. Mostofizadeh, “Comparing the efficacy of polyethylene glycol (PEG), magnesium hydroxide and lactulose in treatment of functional constipation in children,” Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. S145–S149, 2012.
- A. Chmielewska and H. Szajewska, “Systematic review of randomised controlled trials: probiotics for functional constipation,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 69–75, 2010.
- Y. Vandenplas, E. de Greef, T. Devreker, G. Veereman-Wauters, and B. Hauser, “Probiotics and prebiotics in infants and children,” Current Infectious Disease Reports, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 251–262, 2013.
- A. Horvath and H. Szajewska, “Probiotics, prebiotics, and dietary fiber in the management of functional gastrointestinal disorders,” World Review of Nutrition & Dietetics, vol. 108, pp. 40–48, 2013.
- G. Álvarez-Calatayud, J. Pérez-Moreno, M. Tolín, and C. Sánchez, “Clinical applications of the use of probiotics in pediatrics,” Nutrición Hospitalaria, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 564–574, 2013.
- H. Szajewska, M. Setty, J. Mrukowicz, and S. Guandalini, “Probiotics in gastrointestinal diseases in children: hard and not-so-hard evidence of efficacy,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 454–475, 2006.
- Y. Vandenplas, G. Veereman-Wauters, E. de Greef et al., “Probiotics and prebiotics in prevention and treatment of diseases in infants and children,” Jornal de Pediatria, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 292–300, 2011.
- C. Koebnick, I. Wagner, P. Leitzmann, U. Stern, and H. J. F. Zunft, “Probiotic beverage containing Lactobacillus casei Shirota improves gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with chronic constipation,” Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 655–659, 2003.
- M. D. Ardatskaia and O. N. Minushkin, “Probiotics in the treatment of functional intestinal diseases,” Ėksperimental'nia i Klinicheskaia Gastroėnterologiia, no. 3, pp. 106–113, 2012.
- P. V. P. Guerra, L. N. Lima, T. C. Souza et al., “Pediatric functional constipation treatment with bifidobacterium-containing yogurt: a crossover, double-blind, controlled trial,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 34, pp. 3916–3921, 2011.
- S. Jayasimhan, N.-Y. Yap, Y. Roest, R. Rajandram, and K.-F. Chin, “Efficacy of microbial cell preparation in improving chronic constipation: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 928–934, 2013.
- A. Khodadad and M. Sabbaghian, “Role of synbiotics in the treatment of childhood constipation: a double-blind randomized placebo controlled trial,” Iranian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 387–392, 2010.
- L. E. Miller and A. C. Ouwehand, “Probiotic supplementation decreases intestinal transit time: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 19, no. 29, pp. 4718–4725, 2013.
- A. Banaszkiewicz and H. Szajewska, “Ineffectiveness of Lactobacillus GG as an adjunct to lactulose for the treatment of constipation in children: a double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized trial,” The Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 146, no. 3, pp. 364–369, 2005.
- M. M. Mazlyn, L. H. Nagarajah, A. Fatimah, A. K. Norimah, and K. L. Goh, “Effects of a probiotic fermented milk on functional constipation: a randomized,double-blind, placebo-controlled study,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1141–1147, 2013.
- M. M. Tabbers, A. Chmielewska, M. G. Roseboom et al., “Fermented milk containing Bifidobacterium lactis DN-173 010 in childhood constipation: a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial,” Pediatrics, vol. 127, no. 6, pp. e1392–e1399, 2011.