- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 954315, 4 pages
PeristeenⒸ Transanal Irrigation System for Paediatric Faecal Incontinence: A Single Centre Experience
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham University Hospital NHS Trust, Derby Road, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Received 8 September 2013; Revised 4 February 2014; Accepted 6 February 2014; Published 6 May 2014
Academic Editor: Joseph M. Croffie
Copyright © 2014 Omar Nasher et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. M. van den Berg, M. A. Benninga, and C. di Lorenzo, “Epidemiology of childhood constipation: a systematic review,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 101, no. 10, pp. 2401–2409, 2006.
- American College of Gastroenterology Chronic Constipation Task Force, “An evidence-based approach to the management of chronic constipation in North America,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, supplement 1, pp. S1–S4, 2005.
- V. Loening-Baucke, “Chronic constipation in children,” Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 1557–1564, 1993.
- N. N. Youssef, A. L. Langseder, B. J. Verga, R. L. Mones, and J. R. Rosh, “Chronic childhood constipation is associated with impaired quality of life: a case-controlled study,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 56–60, 2005.
- E. P. Athanasakos, K. I. Kemal, R. S. Malliwal, et al., “Clinical and psychosocial functioning in adolescents and young adults with anorectal malformations and chronic idiopathic constipation,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 832–839, 2013.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence: Guidance, Constipation in Children and Young People: Diagnosis and Management of Idiopathic Childhood Constipation in Primary and Secondary Care, RCOG Press, London, UK, 2010.
- P. Christensen, G. Bazzocchi, M. Coggrave et al., “A randomized, controlled trial of transanal irrigation versus conservative bowel management in spinal cord-injured patients,” Gastroenterology, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 738–747, 2006.
- P. López Pereira, O. P. Salvador, J. A. Arcas, M. J. M. Urrutia, R. L. Romera, and E. J. Monereo, “Transanal irrigation for the treatment of neuropathic bowel dysfunction,” Journal of Pediatric Urology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 134–138, 2010.
- M. Trbay and K. Neel, “Management of neuropathic bowel dysfunction with transanal irrigation system,” Journal of Pediatric Urology, vol. 6, supplement 1, pp. S74–S75, 2010.
- R. J. Rintala and H. Lindahl, “Is normal bowel function possible after repair of intermediate and high anorectal malformations?” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 491–494, 1995.
- Bowel Management Patient Guide—Your Guide to using Peristeen, February 2014, http://www.coloplast.co.uk/.
- P. Corbett, A. Denny, K. Dick, P. S. Malone, S. Griffin, and M. Stanton, “Peristeen integrated transanal irrigation system successfully treats faecal incontinence in children,” Journal of Pediatric Urology, 2013.
- B. Shandling and R. F. Gilmour, “The enema continence catheter in spina bifida: successful bowel management,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 271–273, 1987.
- A. Marte and M. Borrelli, “Transanal irrigation and intestinal transit time in children with myelomeningocele,” Minerva Pediatrica, vol. 65, pp. 287–293, 2013.
- R. Rintala, L. Mildh, and H. Lindahl, “Fecal continence and quality of life for adult patients with an operated high or intermediate anorectal malformation,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 777–780, 1994.
- P. S. Malone, P. G. Ransley, and E. M. Kiely, “Preliminary report: the antegrade continence enema,” The Lancet, vol. 336, no. 8725, pp. 1217–1218, 1990.
- J. I. Curry, A. Osborne, and P. S. J. Malone, “The MACE procedure: experience in the United Kingdom,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 338–340, 1999.
- Medical Device Alert, Peristeen Anal Irrigation System manufactured by Coloplast Limited (MDA/2011/002), February 2014, http://www.mhra.gov.uk/.