- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Peptides
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 537639, 10 pages
Brain Activation by Peptide Pro-Leu-Gly- (MIF-1)
1Blood-Brain Barrier Group, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
2The Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Received 26 October 2009; Revised 12 January 2010; Accepted 13 January 2010
Academic Editor: Yvette Taché
Copyright © 2010 Reas S. Khan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Pan and A. J. Kastin, “From MIF-1 to endomorphin: the Tyr-MIF-1 family of peptides,” Peptides, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 2411–2434, 2007.
- D. Xu, “Preliminary report on the effect of PLG (MIF-1) in the treatment of Parkinson's disease,” Acta Universitatis Medicinalis Secondae Shanghai, vol. 6, pp. 328–329, 1986.
- W. Pan and A. J. Kastin, “Evolution of neuropeptide concepts illustrated by MIF-1 and MSH,” in Transmitters and Modulators in Health and Disease, S. Shioda, I. Homma, and N. Kato, Eds., New Frontiers in Neuroscience, pp. 3–17, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- A. J. Kastin, K. Hahn, J. Erchegyi, et al., “Differential metabolism of Tyr-MIF-1 and MIF-1 in rat and human plasma,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 699–709, 1994.
- A. J. Kastin, R. D. Olson, R. H. Ehrensing, M. C. Berzas, A. V. Schally, and D. H. Coy, “MIF-I's differential actions as an opiate antagonist,” Pharmacology Biochemistry & Behavior, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 721–723, 1979.
- R. H. Ehrensing, A. J. Kastin, and G. F. Michell, “Antagonism of morphine analgesia by prolyl-leucyl-glycinamide (MIF-1) in humans,” Pharmacology Biochemistry & Behavior, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 975–978, 1984.
- N. P. Plotnikoff and A. J. Kastin, “Pharmacological studies with a tripeptide, prolyl leucyl glycine amide,” Archives Internationales de Pharmacodynamie et de Thérapie, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 211–224, 1974.
- A. Barbeau, “Potentiation of levodopa effect by intravenous L prolyl L leucyl glycine amide in man,” Lancet, vol. 2, no. 7937, pp. 683–684, 1975.
- L. K. Srivastava, S. B. Bajwa, R. L. Johnson, and R. K. Mishra, “Interaction of L-prolyl-L-leucyl glycinamide with dopamine D2 receptor: evidence for modulation of agonist affinity states in bovine striatal membranes,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 960–968, 1988.
- L. G. Miller and A. J. Kastin, “MIF-1 and Tyr-MIF-1 do not alter GABA binding on the receptor,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 917–918, 1990.
- A. Gulati and H. N. Bhargava, “Effect of melanotropin release inhibiting factor on changes by haloperidol and centbutindole in cerebral cortical 5-hydroxytryptamine receptors,” Pharmacology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 98–106, 1990.
- O. Pucilowski, A. Plaznik, and W. Kostowski, “MIF-1 facilitates passive avoidance retention,” Polish Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacy, vol. 34, no. 1–3, pp. 107–113, 1982.
- M. A. Spirtes, C. W. Christensen, C. T. Harston, and A. J. Kastin, “-MSH and MIF-I effects on cGMP levels in various rat brain regions,” Brain Research, vol. 144, no. 1, pp. 189–193, 1978.
- J. I. Morgan and T. Curran, “Stimulus-transcription coupling in the nervous system: involvement of the inducible proto-oncogenes fos and jun,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 14, pp. 421–451, 1991.
- R.-H. Chen, P. C.-H. Juo, T. Curran, and J. Blenis, “Phosphorylation of c-Fos at the C-terminus enhances its transforming activity,” Oncogene, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1493–1502, 1996.
- W. A. Banks and A. J. Kastin, “Opposite direction of transport across the blood-brain barrier for Tyr-MIF-1 and MIF-1: comparison with morphine,” Peptides, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 1994.
- K. J. Kovács, “Measurement of immediate-early gene activation- c-fos and beyond,” Journal of Neuroendocrinology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 665–672, 2008.
- K. J. Kovács, “c-Fos as a transcription factor: a stressful (re)view from a functional map,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 287–297, 1998.
- N. J. Abbott, “Cellular composition of the blood-brain barrier,” in The Blood-Brain Barrier: Understanding the Regulatory Gatekeeper between Brain and Body, A. J. Kastin and W. Pan, Eds., The Henry Stewart Talk Series, The Biomedical & Life Sciences Collection, London, UK, 2008.
- I. Szirmai and T. Kovács, “Parkinson syndrome and cognitive disorders,” Ideggyógyászati Szemle, vol. 55, no. 7-8, pp. 220–225, 2002.
- S. D. Vann, M. W. Brown, J. T. Erichsen, and J. P. Aggleton, “Using Fos imaging in the rat to reveal the anatomical extent of the disruptive effects of fornix lesions,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 20, no. 21, pp. 8144–8152, 2000.
- M. Vergnes, “Lesions of the cingular cortex, behavior in the open-field and interspecific aggression behavior in rats,” Comptes Rendus des Séances de la Société de Biologie et de Ses Filiales, vol. 166, no. 6, pp. 933–935, 1972.
- S. M. El-Shenawy, O. M. E. Abdel-Salam, A. R. Baiuomy, S. El-Batran, and M. S. Arbid, “Studies on the anti-inflammatory and anti-nociceptive effects of melatonin in the rat,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 235–243, 2002.
- Z. M. Weil, A. K. Hotchkiss, M. L. Gatien, S. Pieke-Dahl, and R. J. Nelson, “Melatonin receptor (MT1) knockout mice display depression-like behaviors and deficits in sensorimotor gating,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 425–429, 2006.
- A. J. Kastin, S. Viosca, R. M. Nair, A. V. Shally, and M. C. Miller, “Interactions between pineal, hypothalamus, and pituitary involving melatonin, MSH release-inhibiting factor and MSH,” Endocrinology, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1323–1328, 1972.
- D. H. O'Connor, M. M. Fukui, M. A. Pinsk, and S. Kastner, “Attention modulates responses in the human lateral geniculate nucleus,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 1203–1209, 2002.
- B. E. Beckwith, C. A. Sandman, and A. J. Kastin, “Influence of three short-chain peptides (-MSH, MSH/ACTH 4-10, MIF-I on) dimensional attention,” Pharmacology, Biochemistry & Behavior, vol. 5, supplement 1, pp. 11–16, 1976.
- I. Vidal-Gonzalez, B. Vidal-Gonzalez, S. L. Rauch, and G. J. Quirk, “Microstimulation reveals opposing influences of prelimbic and infralimbic cortex on the expression of conditioned fear,” Learning and Memory, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 728–733, 2006.
- G. J. Quirk and D. Mueller, “Neural mechanisms of extinction learning and retrieval,” Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 56–72, 2008.
- K. Hefner, N. Whittle, J. Juhasz, et al., “Impaired fear extinction learning and cortico-amygdala circuit abnormalities in a common genetic mouse strain,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 28, no. 32, pp. 8074–8085, 2008.
- L. O. Stratton and A. J. Kastin, “Increased acquisition of a complex appetitive task after MSH and MIF,” Pharmacology Biochemistry & Behavior, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 901–904, 1975.
- G. S. Robertson and H. C. Fibiger, “Neuroleptics increase c-fos expression in the forebrain: contrasting effects of haloperidol and clozapine,” Neuroscience, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 315–328, 1992.
- R. H. Ehrensing and A. J. Kastin, “Melanocyte-stimulating hormone-release inhibiting hormone as a antidepressant. A pilot study,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 63–65, 1974.
- R. H. Ehrensing and A. J. Kastin, “Dose-related biphasic effect of prolyl-leucyl-glycinamide (MIF-I) in depression,” The American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 135, no. 5, pp. 562–566, 1978.
- C. D. van der Velde, “Rapid clinical effectiveness of MIF-I in the treatment of major depressive illness,” Peptides, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 297–300, 1983.
- B. Moghaddam and B. S. Bunney, “Acute effects of typical and atypical antipsychotic drugs on the release of dopamine from prefrontal cortex, nucleus accumbens, and striatum of the rat: an in vivo microdialysis study,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 1755–1760, 1990.
- T. Zornoza, M. J. Cano-Cebrián, F. Martínez-García, A. Polache, and L. Granero, “Hippocampal dopamine receptors modulate cFos expression in the rat nucleus accumbens evoked by chemical stimulation of the ventral hippocampus,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 1067–1076, 2005.
- S. Ceccatelli, M. J. Villar, M. Goldstein, and T. Hokfelt, “Expression of c-Fos immunoreactivity in transmitter-characterized neurons after stress,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 86, no. 23, pp. 9569–9573, 1989.
- S. Rivest, G. Torres, and C. Rivier, “Differential effects of central and peripheral injection of interleukin-1 on brain c-fos expression and neuroendocrine functions,” Brain Research, vol. 587, no. 1, pp. 13–23, 1992.
- M. M. Hagan and D. E. Moss, “Differential effects of Tyr-MIF-1, MIF-1, and naloxone on peptide YY-induced hyperphagia,” Peptides, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 243–245, 1994.
- M. Fendt and M. S. Fanselow, “The neuroanatomical and neurochemical basis of conditioned fear,” Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 743–760, 1999.
- C. H. M. Beck and H. C. Fibiger, “Conditioned fear-induced changes in behavior and in the expression of the immediate early gene c-fos: with and without diazepam pretreatment,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 709–720, 1995.
- H. Fukunaga, M. Takahashi, H. Kaneto, and M. Yoshikawa, “Effects of Tyr-MIF-1 on stress-induced analgesia and the blockade of development of morphine tolerance by stress in mice,” Japanese Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 231–235, 1999.
- A. Hichami, F. Datiche, S. Ullah, et al., “Olfactory discrimination ability and brain expression of c-fos, Gir and Glut1 mRNA are altered in fatty acid-depleted rats,” Behavioural Brain Research, vol. 184, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2007.
- Z. Hlinak and I. Krejci, “Social recognition in male rats: age differences and modulation by MIF-I and alaptide,” Physiological Research, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 59–67, 1991.