- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Peptides
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 708710, 3 pages
Activity of Cathelicidin Peptides against Simkania negevensis
1Section of Microbiology DESOS, Policlinico S. Orsola, University of Bologna, 40138 Bologna, Italy
2Department of Veterinary Medical Sciences, University of Bologna, 40064 Ozzano dell'Emilia, Italy
3Department of Life Sciences, University of Trieste, 34127, Trieste, Italy
Received 10 December 2010; Accepted 30 January 2011
Academic Editor: Peter Bergman
Copyright © 2011 Manuela Donati et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. D. E. Everett, R. M. Bush, and A. A. Andersen, “Emended description of the order Chlamydiales, proposal of Parachlamydiaceae fam. nov. and Simkaniaceae fam. nov., each containing one monotypic genus, revised taxonomy of the family Chlamydiaceae, including a new genus and five new species, and standards for the identification of organisms,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 415–440, 1999.
- S. Kahane, R. Gonen, C. Sayada, J. Elion, and M. G. Friedman, “Description and partial characterization of a new chlamydia-like microorganism,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 109, no. 2-3, pp. 329–334, 1993.
- S. Kahane, B. Dvosktn, M. Mathias, and M. G. Friedman, “Infection of Acanthamoeba polyphaga with Simkania negevensis and S. negevensis survival within amoebal cysts,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 67, no. 10, pp. 4789–4795, 2001.
- S. Kahane, D. Greenberg, D. Lieberman, et al., “The novel microorganism “Z” is capable of infecting humans,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Meeting of the European Society for Chlamydial Research, A. Stary, Ed., p. 18, Vienna, Austria, 1996.
- M. G. Friedman, A. Galil, S. Greenberg, and S. Kahane, “Seroprevalence of IgG antibodies to the chlamydia-like microorganism ‘Simkania Z’ by ELISA,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 117–123, 1999.
- D. Lieberman, S. Kahane, D. Lieberman, and M. G. Friedman, “Pneumonia with serological evidence of acute infection with the chlamydia-like microorganism ‘Z’,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 578–582, 1997.
- S. Kahane, D. Greenberg, M. G. Friedman, H. Haikin, and R. Dagan, “High prevalence of ‘Simkania Z’ a novel chlamydia-like bacterium, in infants with acute bronchiolitis,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 177, no. 5, pp. 1425–1429, 1998.
- D. Lieberman, B. Dvoskin, D. V. Lieberman, S. Kahane, and M. G. Friedman, “Serological evidence of acute infection with the chlamydia-like microorganism Simkania negevensis (Z) in acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 307–309, 2002.
- L. Fasoli, M. Paldanius, M. Don et al., “Simkania negevensis in community-acquired pneumonia in Italian children,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 269–272, 2008.
- T. Heiskanen-Kosma, M. Paldanius, and M. Korppi, “Simkania negevensis may be a true cause of community acquired pneumonia in children,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 127–130, 2008.
- D. Greenberg, A. Banerji, M. G. Friedman, C. H. Chiu, and S. Kahane, “High rate of Simkania negevensis among Canadian inuit infants hospitalized with lower respiratory tract infections,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 506–508, 2003.
- S. Husain, S. Kahane, M. G. Friedman et al., “Simkania negevensis in bronchoalveolar lavage of lung transplant recipients: a possible association with acute rejection,” Transplantation, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 138–143, 2007.
- J. M. Ossewaarde and A. Meijer, “Molecular evidence for the existence of additional members of the order Chlamydiales,” Microbiology, vol. 145, no. 2, pp. 411–417, 1999.
- M. G. Friedman, B. Dvoskin, and S. Kahane, “Infections with the chlamydia-like microorganism Simkania negevensis, a possible emerging pathogen,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 1013–1021, 2003.
- S. Kahane and M. G. Friedman, “Antibiotic sensitivities in vitro of Simkania negevensis,” in Proceedings of the 4th Meeting of the European Society for Chlamydial Research, P. Saikku, Ed., p. 397, Bologna, Italy, 2000.
- N. Casson and G. Greub, “Resistance of different Chlamydia-like organisms to quinolones and mutations in the quinoline resistance-determining region of the DNA gyrase A- and topoisomerase-encoding genes,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 541–544, 2006.
- B. Yasin, S. S. L. Harwig, R. I. Lehrer, and E. A. Wagar, “Susceptibility of Chlamydia trachomatis to protegrins and defensins,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 709–713, 1996.
- C. Chong-Cerrillo, M. E. Selsted, E. M. Peterson, and L. M. De La Maza, “Susceptibility of human and murine Chlamydia trachomatis serovars to granulocyte- and epithelium-derived antimicrobial peptides,” Journal of Peptide Research, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 237–242, 2003.
- M. Donati, K. Di Leo, M. Benincasa et al., “Activity of cathelicidin peptides against Chlamydia spp,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 1201–1202, 2005.
- M. Donati, A. Di Francesco, R. Gennaro et al., “Sensitivity of Chlamydia suis to cathelicidin peptides,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 123, no. 1-3, pp. 269–273, 2007.
- R. I. Lehrer, C. L. Bevins, and T. Ganz, “Defensins and other antimicrobial peptides,” in Mucosal Immunology, P. L. Ogra, J. Mestecky, M. E. Lamm, W. M. Strober, and J. Bienstock, Eds., pp. 89–99, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- B. Yasin, R. I. Lehrer, S. S. L. Harwig, and E. A. Wagar, “Protegrins: structural requirements for inactivating elementary bodies of Chlamydia trachomatis,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 4863–4866, 1996.
- M. Donati, V. Sambri, M. Comanducci et al., “DNA immunization with pgp3 gene of Chlamydia trachomatis inhibits the spread of chlamydial infection from the lower to the upper genital tract in C3H/HeN mice,” Vaccine, vol. 21, no. 11-12, pp. 1089–1093, 2003.
- H. Fukushi and K. Hirai, “Immunochemical diversity of the major outer membrane protein of avian and mammalian Chlamydia psittaci,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 675–680, 1988.
- S. Kahane, K. D. E. Everett, N. Kimmel, and M. G. Friedman, “Simkania negevensis strain : growth, antigenic and genome characteristics,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 815–820, 1999.
- S. Kahane, B. Dvoskin, G. Lustig, P. Dilbeck, and M. G. Friedman, “Partial characterization of Simkania negevensis isolates and comparison with Chlamydiales type strains,” in Proceedings of the 4th Meeting of the European Society for Chlamydial Research, P. Saikku, Ed., p. 8, Bologna, Italy, 2000.