- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Population Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 329050, 11 pages
Internal Migration and Fertility in Turkey: Kaplan-Meier Survival Analysis
Institute of Population Studies, Hacettepe University, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Received 28 December 2011; Revised 17 April 2012; Accepted 14 May 2012
Academic Editor: Shirlena Huang
Copyright © 2012 Mehmet Ali Eryurt and İsmet KOÇ. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Hacettepe University Institute of Population Studies (HUIPS), 2003 Turkey Demographic and Health Survey, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, 2004.
- D. Goldberg, “The fertility of two generation urbanites,” Population Studies, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 214–222, 1959.
- D. Goldberg, “Another look at the Indianapolis fertility data,” Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly, vol. 38, pp. 23–36, 1960.
- O. D. Duncan, “Farm background and differential fertility,” Demography, vol. 2, pp. 240–249, 1965.
- R. Freedman and D. P. Slesinger, “Fertility differentials for the indigenous non-farm population of the United States,” Population Studies, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 161–173, 1961.
- N. J. McGirr and C. Hirschman, “The two generation urbanite hypothesis revisited,” Demography, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 27–35, 1979.
- I. Rosenwaike, “Two generations of Italian in America: their fertility experience,” International Migration Review, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 271–280, 1973.
- E. H. Stephen and F. D. Bean, “Assimilation, disruption and the fertility of Mexican-origin women in the United States,” International Migration Review, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 67–88, 1992.
- J. R. Kahn, “Immigrant selectivity and fertility adaptation in the United States,” Social Forces, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 108–128, 1988.
- G. C. Myers and E. W. Morris, “Migration and fertility in Puerto Rico,” Population Studies, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 85–96, 1966.
- S. Goldstein, “Interrelations between migration and fertility in Thailand,” Demography, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 225–241, 1973.
- V. A. Hiday, “Migration, urbanization, and fertility in the Philippines,” International Migration Review, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 370–385, 1978.
- S. C. Farber and B. S. Lee, “Fertility adaptation of rural-to-urban migrant women: a method of estimation applied to Korean women,” Demography, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 339–345, 1984.
- B. S. Lee and L. G. Pol, “The influence of rural-urban migration on migrants' fertility in Korea, Mexico and Cameroon,” Population Research and Policy Review, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 3–26, 1993.
- H. Kulu, “Migration and fertility: competing hypotheses re-examined,” European Journal of Population, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 51–87, 2005.
- State Institute of Statistics (SIS), The Population of Turkey, 1923–1994 Demographic Structure and Development, State Institute of Statistics Prime Ministry Republic of Turkey, Ankara, Turkey, 1995.
- State Institute of Statistics (SIS), 2000 Census of Population Social and Economic Characteristics of Population, State Institute of Statistics, Ankara, Turkey, 2000.
- İ. Koç, M. A. Eryurt, T. Adalı, and P. Çağatay, Türkiye’nin Demografik Dönüşümü: Doğurganlık, Aile Planlaması, Anne-Çocuk Sağlığı ve Beş Yaş Altı Ölümlerdeki Değişimler: 1968–2008, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, 2010.
- Turkish Statistical Institute (TURKSTAT) (Download date: 29.03.2012) Population Projections and Estimations—Demographic Indicators, http://www.tuik.gov.tr/VeriBilgi.do?tb_id=39&ust_id=11.
- N. Levine and S. Uner, Population Policy Formation and Implementation in Turkey, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, 1978.
- S. Üner, Türkiye Nüfusu: Boyutlar Sorunlar Yorumlar, HUIPS, Ankara, Turkey, 1984.
- TÜSİAD, Türkiye’nin Fırsat Penceresi Demografik Geçiş ve İzdüşümleri, Türk Sanayicileri ve İşadamları Derneği, İstanbul, Turkey, 1999.
- E. Franz, Population Policy in Turkey, Deutches Orient-lnstitut, Hamburg, Germany, 1994.
- A. Gedik, “Internal migration in Turkey, 1965–1985: test of some conflicting findings in the literature,” Working Paper, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, 1996.
- T. Kocaman, “Türkiye’de İç göçler—İller arası kır-kent göçleri ve göç edenlerin nitelikleri (1965–1990),” in Türkiye’de Tarımsal Yapı ve İstihdam, T. Bulutay, Ed., DPT, Ankara, Turkey, 1998.
- A. İçduygu and İ. Sirkeci, “Cumhuriyet dönemi Türkiye’sinde Göç hareketleri,” in 75 Yılda Köylerden Şehirlere, O. Baydar, Ed., Türk Tarih Vakfı, İstanbul, Turkey, 1999.
- Turkish Statistical Institute (TURKSTAT), Census of Population, Migration Statistics, Ankara, Turkey, 2000.
- Hacettepe University Institute of Population Studies (HUIPS), Survey on Migration and Internally Displaced Persons in Turkey, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, 2006.
- F. Özbay and B. Yücel, “Türkiye’de göç hareketleri, devlet politikaları ve demografik yapı,” in Nüfus ve Kalkınma: Göç, Eğitim, Demokrasi, Yaşam Kalitesi, F. Özbay, B. Yücel, and İ. Sezai, Eds., Hacettepe University Institute of Population Studies, Ankara, Turkey, 2001.
- G. Rodriguez and J. N. Hobcraft, “Illustrative analysis: life table analysis of birth intervals in Colombia,” The Haugue Netherlands, World Fertility Survey Scientific Reports 369, 1980.
- G. Feeney and Jingyuan Yu, “Period parity progression measures of fertility in China,” Population Studies, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 77–102, 1987.
- United Nations, Family-Building and Family Planning Evaluation, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. United Nations, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- H. P. Blossfeld, K. Golsch, and G. Rohwer, Techniques of Event History Modeling Using Stata. New Approaches to Causal Analysis, Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 2007.
- E. L. Kaplan and P. Meier, “Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 53, pp. 457–481, 1958.
- N. Mantel, “Evaluation of survival data and two new rank order statistics arising in its consideration,” Cancer Chemotherapy Reports. Part 1, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 163–170, 1966.
- D. Schoenfeld, “The asymptotic properties of nonparametric tests for comparing survival distributions,” Biometrika, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 316–319, 1981.
- D. Harrington, Linear Rank Tests in Survival Analysis Standard Article, Encyclopedia of Biostatistics, Wiley Interscience, 2005.
- Y. Hong, “Marital decision-making and the timing of first birth in rural China before the 1990s,” Population Studies, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 329–341, 2006.
- G. Feeney and Wang Feng, “Parity progression and birth intervals in China: the influence of policy in hastening fertility decline,” Population & Development Review, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 61–101, 1993.
- S. Yavuz, “Completing the fertility transition: third birth developments by language groups in Turkey,” Demographic Research, vol. 15, article 15, pp. 435–460, 2006.