- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Proteomics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 726869, 7 pages
Lung Cancer Proteomics: Recent Advances in Biomarker Discovery
1Department of Human Pathology and Oncology, University of Siena, 53100 Siena, Italy
2Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine and Center for Biotechnology, College of Science and Technology, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
3Terni Human Health Bioscience Institute, Human Health Foundation, 05100 Terni, Italy
4Unit of Virology, “D. Cotugno” Hospital, 80123 Naples, Italy
5Committee on Biotechnologies and VirusSphere, World Academy of Biomedical Technologies, UNESCO, 75732 Paris, France
Received 14 March 2011; Accepted 16 July 2011
Academic Editor: Michael R. Emmert-Buck
Copyright © 2011 Paola Indovina et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. A. Granville and P. A. Dennis, “An overview of lung cancer genomics and proteomics,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 169–176, 2005.
- J. Lehtiö and L. De Petris, “Lung cancer proteomics, clinical and technological considerations,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 73, no. 10, pp. 1851–1863, 2010.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, E. Ward, Y. Hao, J. Xu, and M. J. Thun, “Cancer statistics, 2009,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 225–249, 2009.
- H. J. Sung and J. Y. Cho, “Biomarkers for the lung cancer diagnosis and their advances in proteomics,” BMB Reports, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 615–625, 2008.
- G. Tarro, A. Perna, and C. Esposito, “Early diagnosis of lung cancer by detection of tumor liberated protein,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 203, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2005.
- G. Tarro, “Tumor liberated protein from lung cancer and perspectives for immunotherapy,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 221, no. 1, pp. 26–30, 2009.
- J. Hirsch, K. C. Hansen, A. L. Burlingame, and M. A. Matthay, “Proteomics: current techniques and potential applications to lung disease,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 287, no. 1, pp. L1–L23, 2004.
- T. Kikuchi and D. P. Carbone, “Proteomics analysis in lung cancer: challenges and opportunities,” Respirology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 22–28, 2007.
- D. F. Stroncek, C. Burns, B. M. Martin, L. Rossi, F. M. Marincola, and M. C. Panelli, “Advancing cancer biotherapy with proteomics,” Journal of Immunotherapy, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 183–192, 2005.
- W. W. Pang, P. S. Abdul-Rahman, W. I. Wan-Ibrahim, and O. H. Hashim, “Can the acute-phase reactant proteins be used as cancer biomarkers?” International Journal of Biological Markers, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2010.
- S.-M. Kang, H.-J. Sung, J.-M. Ahn et al., “The Haptoglobin β chain as a supportive biomarker for human lung cancers,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1167–1175, 2011.
- H.-J. Sung, J.-M. Ahn, Y.-H. Yoon et al., “Identification and validation of SAA as a potential lung cancer biomarker and its involvement in metastatic pathogenesis of lung cancer,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1383–1395, 2011.
- C. M. Maciel, M. Junqueira, M. E. M. Paschoal et al., “Differential proteomic serum pattern of low molecular weight proteins expressed by adenocarcinoma lung cancer patients,” Journal of Experimental Therapeutics and Oncology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 31–38, 2005.
- B. Hamrita, K. Chahed, M. Trimeche et al., “Proteomics-based identification of α1-antitrypsin and haptoglobin precursors as novel serum markers in infiltrating ductal breast carcinomas,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 404, no. 2, pp. 111–118, 2009.
- C. Zhao, L. Annamalai, C. Guo et al., “Circulating haptoglobin is an independent prognostic factor in the sera of patients with epithelial ovarian cancer,” Neoplasia, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2007.
- M. A. Firpo, D. Z. Gay, S. R. Granger et al., “Improved diagnosis of pancreatic adenocarcinoma using haptoglobin and serum amyloid a in a panel screen,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 716–722, 2009.
- R. Epelbaum, C. Shalitin, R. Segal et al., “Haptoglobin-related protein as a serum marker in malignant lymphoma,” Pathology and Oncology Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 271–276, 1998.
- U. Dunzendorfer, K. Jung, and G. Ohlenschläger, “Transferrin, C3 complement, haptoglobin, plasminogen and alpha 2-microglobulin in patients with urogenital tumors,” European Urology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 232–236, 1980.
- H. G. Benkmann, H. P. Hanssen, R. Ovenbeck, and H. Werner Goedde, “Distribution of alpha-1-antitrypsin and haptoglobin phenotypes in bladder cancer patients,” Human Heredity, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 290–293, 1987.
- S. Oshiro, Y. Yajima, K. Kawamura et al., “Catabolism of hemoglobin-haptoglobin complex in microsome subfractions,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 1847–1851, 1992.
- M. C. Cid, D. S. Grant, G. S. Hoffman, R. Auerbach, A. S. Fauci, and H. K. Kleinman, “Identification of haptoglobin as an angiogenic factor in sera from patients with systemic vasculitis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 977–985, 1993.
- D. P. de Kleijn, M. B. Smeets, P. P. Kemmeren et al., “Acute-phase protein haptoglobin is a cell migration factor involved in arterial restructuring,” FASEB Journal, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1123–1125, 2002.
- C. M. Uhlar and A. S. Whitehead, “Serum amyloid A, the major vertebrate acute-phase reactant,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 265, no. 2, pp. 501–523, 1999.
- H. Biran, N. Friedman, L. Neumann, M. Pras, and R. Shainkin-Kestenbaum, “Serum amyloid A (SAA) variations in patients with cancer: correlation with disease activity, stage, primary site, and prognosis,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 794–797, 1986.
- L. E. Jensen and A. S. Whitehead, “Regulation of serum amyloid A protein expression during the acute-phase response,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 334, no. 3, pp. 489–503, 1998.
- A. M. Rodríguez-Piñeiro, S. Blanco-Prieto, N. Sánchez-Otero, F. J. Rodríguez-Berrocal, and M. P. de la Cadena, “On the identification of biomarkers for non-small cell lung cancer in serum and pleural effusion,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 1511–1522, 2010.
- M. Pernemalm, L. De Petris, H. Eriksson et al., “Use of narrow-range peptide IEF to improve detection of lung adenocarcinoma markers in plasma and pleural effusion,” Proteomics, vol. 9, no. 13, pp. 3414–3424, 2009.
- Z. Yang, W. S. Hancock, T. R. Chew, and L. Bonilla, “A study of glycoproteins in human serum and plasma reference standards (HUPO) using multilectin affinity chromatography coupled with RPLC-MS/MS,” Proteomics, vol. 5, no. 13, pp. 3353–3366, 2005.
- S. H. Heo, S. J. Lee, H. M. Ryoo, J. Y. Park, and J. Y. Cho, “Identification of putative serum glycoprotein biomarkers for human lung adenocarcinoma by multilectin affinity chromatography and LC-MS/MS,” Proteomics, vol. 7, no. 23, pp. 4292–4302, 2007.
- A. Soltermann, R. Ossola, S. Kilgus-Hawelski et al., “N-glycoprotein profiling of lung adenocarcinoma pleural effusions by shotgun proteomics,” Cancer, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 124–133, 2008.
- N. L. Anderson and N. G. Anderson, “The human plasma proteome: history, character, and diagnostic prospects,” Molecular & Cellular Proteomics, vol. 1, no. 11, pp. 845–867, 2002.
- E. F. Patz Jr., M. J. Campa, E. B. Gottlin, I. Kusmartseva, R. G. Xiang, and J. E. Herndon, “Panel of serum biomarkers for the diagnosis of lung cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 35, pp. 5578–5583, 2007.
- G. Chen, T. G. Gharib, H. Wang et al., “Protein profiles associated with survival in lung adenocarcinoma,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 23, pp. 13537–13542, 2003.
- S. J. Tang, M. Y. Ho, H. C. Cho et al., “Phosphoglycerate kinase 1-overexpressing lung cancer cells reduce cyclooxygenase 2 expression and promote anti-tumor immunity in vivo,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 123, no. 12, pp. 2840–2848, 2008.
- M. Paesmans, J. P. Sculier, P. Libert et al., “Prognostic factors for survival in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: univariate and multivariate analyses including recursive partitioning and amalgamation algorithms in 1,052 patients,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 1221–1230, 1995.
- J. Varani, Y. Hattori, Y. Chi et al., “Collagenolytic and gelatinolytic matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in basal cell carcinoma of skin: comparison with normal skin,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 657–665, 2000.
- E. D. Emberley, L. C. Murphy, and P. H. Watson, “S100 proteins and their influence on pro-survival pathways in cancer,” Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 508–515, 2004.
- T. Tian, J. Hao, A. Xu et al., “Determination of metastasis-associated proteins in non-small cell lung cancer by comparative proteomic analysis,” Cancer Science, vol. 98, no. 8, pp. 1265–1274, 2007.
- L. De Petris, L. M. Orre, L. Kanter et al., “Tumor expression of S100A6 correlates with survival of patients with stage I non-small-cell lung cancer,” Lung Cancer, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 410–417, 2009.
- J. H. Joo, S. Y. Yoon, J. H. Kim et al., “S100A6 (calcyclin) enhances the sensitivity to apoptosis via the upregulation of caspase-3 activity in Hep3B cells,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 1183–1197, 2008.
- T. G. Gharib, G. Chen, H. Wang et al., “Proteomic analysis of cytokeratin isoforms uncovers association with survival in lung adenocarcinoma,” Neoplasia, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 440–448, 2002.
- L. De Petris, E. Brandén, R. Herrmann et al., “Diagnostic and prognostic role of plasma levels of two forms of cytokeratin 18 in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 131–137, 2011.
- J. Maeda, T. Hirano, A. Ogiwara et al., “Proteomic analysis of stage I primary lung adenocarcinoma aimed at individualisation of postoperative therapy,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 596–603, 2008.
- A. Xu, J. Hao, Z. Zhang et al., “14-kDa phosphohistidine phosphatase and its role in human lung cancer cell migration and invasion,” Lung Cancer, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 48–56, 2010.
- B. J. Xu, A. L. Gonzalez, T. Kikuchi et al., “MALDI-MS derived prognostic protein markers for resected non-small cell lung cancer,” Proteomics, vol. 2, no. 10-11, pp. 1508–1517, 2008.
- J. Voortman, T. V. Pham, J. C. Knol, G. Giaccone, and C. R. Jimenez, “Prediction of outcome of non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with chemotherapy and bortezomib by time-course MALDI-TOF-MS serum peptide profiling,” Proteome Science, vol. 7, article 34, 2009.
- J. Villanueva, D. R. Shaffer, J. Philip et al., “Differential exoprotease activities confer tumor-specific serum peptidome patterns,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 271–284, 2006.
- C. Gridelli, F. De Marinis, M. Di Maio, D. Cortinovis, F. Cappuzzo, and T. Mok, “Gefitinib as first-line treatment for patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer with activating epidermal growth factor receptor mutation: review of the evidence,” Lung Cancer, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 249–257, 2011.
- N. Reguart, A. F. Cardona, and R. Rosell, “Role of erlotinib in first-line and maintenance treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer,” Cancer Management and Research, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 143–156, 2010.
- F. Taguchi, B. Solomon, V. Gregorc et al., “Mass spectrometry to classify non-small-cell lung cancer patients for clinical outcome after treatment with epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors: a multicohort cross-institutional study,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 99, no. 11, pp. 838–846, 2007.
- T. Okano, T. Kondo, K. Fujii et al., “Proteomic signature corresponding to the response to gefitinib (Iressa, ZD1839), an epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor in lung adenocarcinoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 799–805, 2007.
- S. Salmon, H. Chen, S. Chen et al., “Classification by mass spectrometry can accurately and reliably predict outcome in patients with non-small cell lung cancer treated with erlotinib-containing regimen,” Journal of Thoracic Oncology, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 689–696, 2009.
- A. Toyama, H. Nakagawa, K. Matsuda et al., “Deglycosylation and label-free quantitative LC-MALDI MS applied to efficient serum biomarker discovery of lung cancer,” Proteome Science, vol. 9, article 18, 2011.
- P. Waloszczyk, T. Janus, J. Alchimowicz, T. Grodzki, and K. Borowiak, “Proteomic patterns analysis with multivariate calculations as a promising tool for prompt differentiation of early stage lung tissue with cancer and unchanged tissue material,” Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 6, no. 1, article 22, 2011.
- T. Wiedl, S. Arni, B. Roschitzki, et al., “Activity-based proteomics: identification of ABHD11 and ESD activities as potential biomarkers for human lung adenocarcinoma,” Journal of Proteomics. In press.