- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Proteomics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 867141, 10 pages
Ethanol Exposure Alters Protein Expression in a Mouse Model of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
1Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
2Department of Cellular and Integrative Physiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
3Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
4Monarch LifeSciences, LLC., Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
5Stark Neuroscience Research Institute, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Received 17 January 2012; Revised 1 April 2012; Accepted 1 April 2012
Academic Editor: Vladimir Uversky
Copyright © 2012 Stephen Mason et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. L. Moore and T. V. N. Persaud, The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 1993.
- I. Autti-Rämö , Å. Fagerlund, N. Ervalahti, L. Loimu, M. Korkman, and H. E. Hoyme, “Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in Finland: clinical delineation of 77 older children and adolescents,” American Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 137–143, 2006.
- C. Guerri, A. Bazinet, and E. P. Riley, “Foetal alcohol spectrum disorders and alterations in brain and behaviour,” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 108–114, 2009.
- C. R. Goodlett and K. H. Horn, “Mechanisms of alcohol-induced damage to the developing nervous system,” Alcohol Research and Health, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 175–184, 2001.
- C. R. Goodlett, K. H. Horn, and F. C. Zhou, “Alcohol teratogenesis: mechanisms of damage and strategies for intervention,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 230, no. 6, pp. 394–406, 2005.
- E. P. Riley, J. D. Thomas, C. R. Goodlett et al., “Fetal alcohol effects: mechanisms and treatment,” Alcoholism, vol. 25, no. 5, supplement, pp. 110S–116S, 2001.
- P. Fattoretti, C. Bertoni-Freddari, T. Casoli, G. Di Stefano, G. Giorgetti, and M. Solazzi, “Ethanol-induced decrease of the expression of glucose transport protein (Glut3) in the central nervous system as a predisposing condition to apoptosis: the effect of age,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1010, pp. 500–503, 2003.
- A. K. Snyder, F. Jiang, and S. P. Singh, “Effects of ethanol on glucose utilization by cultured mammalian embryos,” Alcoholism, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 466–470, 1992.
- M. W. Miller and D. L. Dow-Edwards, “Structural and metabolic alterations in rat cerebral cortex induced by prenatal exposure to ethanol,” Brain Research, vol. 474, no. 2, pp. 316–326, 1988.
- I. A. Shibley Jr. and S. N. Pennington, “Metabolic and mitotic changes associated with the fetal alcohol syndrome,” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 423–434, 1997.
- C. Guerri, C. Montoliu, and J. Renau-Piqueras, “Involvement of free radical mechanism in the toxic effects of alcohol: implications for fetal alcohol syndrome,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 366, pp. 291–305, 1994.
- F. C. Zhou, Q. Zhao, Y. Liu et al., “Alteration of gene expression by alcohol exposure at early neurulation,” BMC Genomics, vol. 12, article 124, 2011.
- Y. Liu, Y. Balaraman, G. Wang, K. P. Nephew, and F. C. Zhou, “Alcohol exposure alters DNA methylation profiles in mouse embryos at early neurulation,” Epigenetics, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 500–511, 2009.
- J. B. Mason and S. W. Choi, “Effects of alcohol on folate metabolism: implications for carcinogenesis,” Alcohol, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 235–241, 2005.
- L. L. Wang, Z. Zhang, Q. Li et al., “Ethanol exposure induces differential microRNA and target gene expression and teratogenic effects which can be suppressed by folic acid supplementation,” Human Reproduction, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 562–579, 2009.
- Y. Xu, Y. Tang, and Y. Li, “Effect of folic acid on prenatal alcohol-induced modification of brain proteome in mice,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 455–461, 2008.
- N. El Banna, M. F. Picciano, and J. Simon, “Effects of chronic alcohol consumption and iron deficiency on maternal folate status and reproductive outcome in mice,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 113, no. 10, pp. 2059–2070, 1983.
- M. W. Miller, A. J. I. Roskams, and J. R. Connor, “Iron regulation in the developing rat brain: effect of in utero ethanol exposure,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 373–380, 1995.
- T. M. Donohue Jr., “The ubiquitin-proteasome system and its role in ethanol-induced disorders,” Addiction Biology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 15–28, 2002.
- J. Lowe, A. Blanchard, K. Morrell et al., “Ubiquitin is a common factor in intermediate filament inclusion bodies of diverse type in man, including those of Parkinson's disease, Pick's disease, and Alzheimer's disease, as well as Rosenthal fibres in cerebellar astrocytomas, cytoplasmic bodies in muscle, and Mallory bodies in alcoholic liver disease,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 155, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 1988.
- M. P. Bousquet-Dubouch, S. Nguen, D. Bouyssié et al., “Chronic ethanol feeding affects proteasome-interacting proteins,” Proteomics, vol. 9, no. 13, pp. 3609–3622, 2009.
- M. L. Green, A. V. Singh, Y. Zhang, K. A. Nemeth, K. K. Sulik, and T. B. Knudsen, “Reprogramming of genetic networks during initiation of the Fetal Alcohol Syndrome,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 236, no. 2, pp. 613–631, 2007.
- M. L. Hard, M. Abdolell, B. H. Robinson, and G. Koren, “Gene-expression analysis after alcohol exposure in the developing mouse,” Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2005.
- R. Gutala, J. Wang, S. Kadapakkam, Y. Hwang, M. Ticku, and M. D. Li, “Microarray analysis of ethanol-treated cortical neurons reveals disruption of genes related to the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway and protein synthesis,” Alcoholism, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1779–1788, 2004.
- M. Incerti, J. Vink, R. Roberson, I. Benassou, D. Abebe, and C. Y. Spong, “Prevention of the alcohol-induced changes in brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression using neuroprotective peptides in a model of fetal alcohol syndrome,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 202, no. 5, pp. 457.e1–457.e4, 2010.
- F. C. Zhou and L. N. Wei, “Expression of cellular retinoc acid-binding protein I is specific to neurons in adult transgenic mouse brain,” Gene Expression Patterns, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 67–72, 2001.
- B. Anthony, F. C. Zhou, T. Ogawa, C. R. Goodlett, and J. Ruiz, “Alcohol exposure alters cell cycle and apoptotic events during early neurulation,” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 261–273, 2008.
- N. D. E. Greene, K. Y. Leung, R. Wait, S. Begum, M. J. Dunn, and A. J. Copp, “Differential protein expression at the stage of neural tube closure in the mouse embryo,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 44, pp. 41645–41651, 2002.
- T. Ogawa, M. Kuwagata, J. Ruiz, and F. C. Zhou, “Differential teratogenic effect of alcohol on embryonic development between C57BL/6 and DBA/2 mice: a new view,” Alcoholism, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 855–863, 2005.
- D. A. New, “Whole-embryo culture and the study of mammalian embryos during organogenesis,” Biological reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 81–122, 1978.
- W. S. Webster, D. A. Walsh, S. E. McEwen, and A. H. Lipson, “Some teratogenic properties of ethanol and acetaldehyde in C57BL/6J mice: implications for the study of the fetal alcohol syndrome,” Teratology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 231–243, 1983.
- F. Hoffman, “Generalized depressants of the central nervous system,” in A Handbook of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, F. Hoffman and A. Hoffman, Eds., pp. 95–128, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1975.
- B. Lindblad and R. Olsson, “Unusually high levels of blood alcohol?” JAMA, vol. 236, no. 14, pp. 1600–1602, 1976.
- G. Candiano, M. Bruschi, L. Musante et al., “Blue silver: a very sensitive colloidal Coomassie G-250 staining for proteome analysis,” Electrophoresis, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1327–1333, 2004.
- R. E. Higgs, M. D. Knierman, V. Gelfanova, J. P. Butler, and J. E. Hale, “Comprehensive label-free method for the relative quantification of proteins from biological samples,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 1442–1450, 2005.
- B. Anthony, S. Vinci-Booher, L. Wetherill, R. Ward, C. Goodlett, and F. C. Zhou, “Alcohol-induced facial dysmorphology in C57BL/6 mouse models of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder,” Alcohol, vol. 44, no. 7-8, pp. 659–671, 2010.
- Y. Chen, N. C. Ozturk, L. Ni, C. Goodlett, and F. C. Zhou, “Strain differences in developmental vulnerability to Alcohol exposure via embryo culture in mice,” Alcoholism, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1293–1304, 2011.
- W. J. McBride, J. A. Schultz, M. W. Kimpel et al., “Differential effects of ethanol in the nucleus accumbens shell of alcohol-preferring (P), alcohol-non-preferring (NP) and Wistar rats: a proteomics study,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 304–313, 2009.
- “Reorganizing the protein space at the Universal Protein Resource (UniProt),” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 40, pp. D71–D75, 2012.
- Y. Peng, K. H. H. Kwok, P. H. Yang et al., “Ascorbic acid inhibits ROS production, NF-κB activation and prevents ethanol-induced growth retardation and microencephaly,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 426–434, 2005.
- B. M. Altura, A. Gebrewold, A. Zhang, and B. T. Altura, “Ethanol induces rapid lipid peroxidation and activation of nuclear factor-kappa B in cerebral vascular smooth muscle: relation to alcohol-induced brain injury in rats,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 325, no. 2, pp. 95–98, 2002.
- M. J. Druse, N. F. Tajuddin, R. A. Gillespie, and P. Le, “The effects of ethanol and the serotonin1A agonist ipsapirone on the expression of the serotonin1A receptor and several antiapoptotic proteins in fetal rhombencephalic neurons,” Brain Research, vol. 1092, no. 1, pp. 79–86, 2006.
- P. Mandrekar, D. Catalano, and G. Szabo, “Alcohol-induced regulation of nuclear regulatory factor-κβ in human monocytes,” Alcoholism, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 988–994, 1997.
- D. R. Armant and D. E. Saunders, “Exposure of embryonic cells to alcohol: contrasting effects during preimplantation and postimplantation development,” Seminars in Perinatology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 127–139, 1996.
- J. R. Connor, “Iron acquisition and expression of iron regulatory proteins in the developing brain: manipulation by ethanol exposure, iron deprivation and cellular dysfunction,” Developmental Neuroscience, vol. 16, no. 5-6, pp. 233–247, 1994.
- T. D. Tran, et al., “Maternal iron deficiency produces differential learning outcomes and cell loss in a rat model of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders,” Alcoholism, vol. 35, article 38A, 2011.
- R. L. Bell, M. W. Kimpel, Z. A. Rodd et al., “Protein expression changes in the nucleus accumbens and amygdala of inbred alcohol-preferring rats given either continuous or scheduled access to ethanol,” Alcohol, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 3–17, 2006.
- F. Orosz, G. Wágner, K. Liliom et al., “Enhanced association of mutant triosephosphate isomerase to red cell membranes and to brain microtubules,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 1026–1031, 2000.
- R. Hoffrogge, S. Mikkat, C. Scharf et al., “2-DE proteome analysis of a proliferating and differentiating human neuronal stem cell line (ReNcell VM),” Proteomics, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 1833–1847, 2006.
- K. Kultima, A. M. Nyström, B. Scholz, A. L. Gustafson, L. Dencker, and M. Stigson, “Valproic acid teratogenicity: a toxicogenomics approach,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 1225–1235, 2004.
- F. Ikeda and I. Dikic, “Atypical ubiquitin chains: new molecular signals. “Protein Modifications: Beyond the Usual Suspects” Review Series,” EMBO Reports, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 536–542, 2008.
- J. B. Tomas and R. J. Wyman, “Mutations altering synaptic connectivity between identified neurons in Drosophila,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 530–538, 1984.
- C. E. Oh, R. McMahon, S. Benzer, and M. A. Tanouye, “bendless, a Drosophila gene affecting neuronal connectivity, encodes a ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme homolog,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 3166–3179, 1994.
- M. G. Muralidhar and J. B. Thomas, “The Drosophila bendless gene encodes a neural protein related to ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes,” Neuron, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 253–266, 1993.
- M. Watanabe, H. Mizusawa, and H. Takahashi, “Developmental regulation of rat Ubc13 and Uev1B genes in the nervous system,” Gene Expression Patterns, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 614–619, 2007.
- Y. Zhu, Y. Sun, X. O. Mao, K. L. Jin, and D. A. Greenberg, “Expression of poly(C)-binding proteins is differentially regulated by hypoxia and ischemia in cortical neurons,” Neuroscience, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 191–198, 2002.
- M. Kiledjian, X. Wang, and S. A. Liebhaber, “Identification of two KH domain proteins in the α-globin mRNP stability complex,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 14, no. 17, pp. 4357–4364, 1995.
- J. Nio-Kobayashi, H. Takahashi-Iwanaga, and T. Iwanaga, “Immunohistochemical localization of six galectin subtypes in the mouse digestive tract,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 41–50, 2009.
- Y. Peng, P. H. Yang, S. S. M. Ng, C. T. Lum, H. F. Kung, and M. C. Lin, “Protection of Xenopus laevis embryos against alcohol-induced delayed gut maturation and growth retardation by peroxiredoxin 5 and catalase,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 340, no. 4, pp. 819–827, 2004.