- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 369759, 7 pages
Chitin Fiber and Chitosan 3D Composite Rods
1Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, Key Laboratory of Macromolecule Synthesis and Functionalization, Zhejiang University, Ministry of Education, Hangzhou 310027, China
2Department of Materials Science and Engineering, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Received 15 March 2010; Accepted 21 April 2010
Academic Editor: Shanfeng Wang
Copyright © 2010 Zhengke Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Chen, Y. Du, H. Wu, and L. Xiao, “Relationship between molecular structure and moisture-retention ability of carboxymethyl chitin and chitosan,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 1233–1241, 2002.
- D. Suzuki, M. Takahashi, M. Abe et al., “Comparison of various mixtures of β-chitin and chitosan as a scaffold for three-dimensional culture of rabbit chondrocytes,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 1307–1315, 2008.
- K. Kurita, “Chitin and chitosan: functional biopolymers from marine crustaceans,” Marine Biotechnology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 203–226, 2006.
- E. Agulló, M. S. Rodríguez, V. Ramos, and L. Albertengo, “Present and future role of chitin and chitosan in food,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 521–530, 2003.
- B. Krajewska, “Membrane-based processes performed with use of chitin/chitosan materials,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 305–312, 2005.
- T. Honma, T. Senda, and Y. Inoue, “Thermal properties and crystallization behaviour of blends of poly(ε-caprolactone) with chitin and chitosan,” Polymer International, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 1839–1846, 2003.
- K. Van De Velde and P. Kiekens, “Structure analysis and degree of substitution of chitin, chitosan and dibutyrylchitin by FT-IR spectroscopy and solid state13C NMR,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 409–416, 2004.
- E. Khor and L. Y. Lim, “Implantable applications of chitin and chitosan,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 13, pp. 2339–2349, 2003.
- R. Jayakumar, N. Selvamurugan, S. V. Nair, S. Tokura, and H. Tamura, “Preparative methods of phosphorylated chitin and chitosan—an overview,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 221–225, 2008.
- T. Wu and S. Zivanovic, “Determination of the degree of acetylation (DA) of chitin and chitosan by an improved first derivative UV method,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 248–253, 2008.
- M. Rinaudo, “Chitin and chitosan: properties and applications,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 603–632, 2006.
- V. G. Mir, J. Heinämäki, O. Antikainen et al., “Direct compression properties of chitin and chitosan,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 964–968, 2008.
- Y.-C. Kuo and I.-N. Ku, “Cartilage regeneration by novel polyethylene oxide/chitin/chitosan scaffolds,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 2662–2669, 2008.
- J. Sriupayo, P. Supaphol, J. Blackwell, and R. Rujiravanit, “Preparation and characterization of α-chitin whisker-reinforced chitosan nanocomposite films with or without heat treatment,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 130–136, 2005.
- Q. L. Hu, X. Z. Qian, B. Q. Li, and J. C. Shen, “Studies on chitosan rods prepared by in situ precipitation method,” Chemical Journal of Chinese Universities-Chinese, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 528–531, 2003.
- Z. K. Wang, Q. L. Hu, X. G. Dai, H. Wu, Y. X. Wang, and J. C. Shen, “Preparation and characterization of cellulose fiber/chitosan composites,” Polymer Composites, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1517–1522, 2009.
- Z. K. Wang, Q. L. Hu, and L. Cai, “Chitosan and multi-walled carbon nanotube composite rods,” Chinese Journal of Polymer Science. In press.
- Z. K. Wang and Q. L. Hu, “Chitosan rods reinforced by N-carboxyl propionyl chitosan sodium,” Acta Physico-Chimica Sinica. In press.
- A. Yang and R. Wu, “Mechanical properties and interfacial interaction of a novel bioabsorbable chitin fiber reinforced poly (ε-caprolactone) composite,” Journal of Materials Science Letters, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 977–979, 2001.
- Q. Hu, B. Li, M. Wang, and J. Shen, “Preparation and characterization of biodegradable chitosan/hydroxyapatite nanocomposite rods via in situ hybridization: a potential material as internal fixation of bone fracture,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 779–785, 2004.
- B. Q. Li, D. C. Jia, Y. Zhou, Q. L. Hu, and W. Cai, “In situ hybridization to chitosan/magnetite nanocomposite induced by the magnetic field,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 306, no. 2, pp. 223–227, 2006.