- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 985137, 10 pages
Investigation of Genipin Cross-Linked Microcapsule for Oral Delivery of Live Bacterial Cells and Other Biotherapeutics: Preparation and In Vitro Analysis in Simulated Human Gastrointestinal Model
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Physiology, Biomedical Technology and Cell Therapy Research Laboratory, Artificial Cells and Organs Research Centre, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Qc, Canada H3A 2B4
Received 15 March 2010; Accepted 31 May 2010
Academic Editor: Shanfeng Wang
Copyright © 2010 Hongmei Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Prakash and J. Bhathena, “Live bacterial cells as orally delivered therapeutics,” Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 1281–1301, 2005.
- L. Steidler, “Genetically engineered probiotics,” Bailliere's Best Practice and Research in Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 861–876, 2003.
- M. Goldberg and I. Gomez-Orellana, “Challenges for the oral delivery of macromolecules,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 289–295, 2003.
- G. Orive, R. M. Hernández, A. Rodríguez Gascón et al., “History, challenges and perspectives of cell microencapsulation,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 87–92, 2004.
- G. Bergers and D. Hanahan, “Cell factories for fighting cancer,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 20–21, 2001.
- J. Bloch, A. C. Bachoud-Lévi, N. Déglon et al., “Neuroprotective gene therapy for Huntington's disease, using polymer-encapsulated cells engineered to secrete human ciliary neurotrophic factor: results of a phase I study,” Human Gene Therapy, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 968–975, 2004.
- T. M. S. Chang, “Therapeutic applications of polymeric artificial cells,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 221–235, 2005.
- M. L. Jones, H. Chen, W. Ouyang, T. Metz, and S. Prakash, “Microencapsulated genetically engineered Lactobacillus plantarum 80 (pCBH1) for bile acid deconjugation and its implication in lowering cholesterol,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2004, no. 1, pp. 61–69, 2004.
- S. Prakash and T. M. S. Chang, “Microencapsulated genetically engineered live E. coli DH5 cells administered orally to maintain normal plasma urea level in uremic rats,” Nature Medicine, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 883–887, 1996.
- T.-A. Read, D. R. Sorensen, R. Mahesparan et al., “Local endostatin treatment of gliomas administered by microencapsulated producer cells,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2001.
- C. J. D. Ross, L. Bastedo, S. A. Maier, M. S. Sands, and P. L. Chang, “Treatment of a lysosomal storage disease, mucopolysaccharidosis VII, with microencapsulated recombinant cells,” Human Gene Therapy, vol. 11, no. 15, pp. 2117–2127, 2000.
- A. D. Tagalakis, I. A. Diakonov, I. R. Graham et al., “Apolipoprotein E delivery by peritoneal implantation of encapsulated recombinant cells improves the hyperlipidaemic profile in apoE-deficient mice,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1686, no. 3, pp. 190–199, 2005.
- J. M. Van Raamsdonk, C. J. D. Ross, M. A. Potter et al., “Treatment of hemophilia B in mice with nonautologous somatic gene therapeutics,” Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2002.
- L. R. Johnson, Physiology of the Gastrointestinal Tract, Elsevier Academic Press, Burlington, Mass, USA, 2006.
- J. Chin, B. Turner, I. Barchia, and A. Mullbacher, “Immune response to orally consumed antigens and probiotic bacteria,” Immunology and Cell Biology, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 55–66, 2000.
- N. Ishibashi and S. Yamazaki, “Probiotics and safety,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 465S–470S, 2001.
- C. P. Champagne, N. J. Gardner, and D. Roy, “Challenges in the addition of probiotic cultures to foods,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 61–84, 2005.
- S. Salminen, A. von Wright, L. Morelli et al., “Demonstration of safety of probiotics—a review,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 1-2, pp. 93–106, 1998.
- S. Freiberg and X. X. Zhu, “Polymer microspheres for controlled drug release,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 282, no. 1-2, pp. 1–18, 2004.
- L. R. Moses, K. J. Dileep, and C. P. Sharma, “Beta cyclodextrin-insulin-encapsulated chitosan/alginate matrix: oral delivery system,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 1089–1096, 2000.
- E. Nechaeva, “Development of oral microencapsulated forms for delivering viral vaccines,” Expert Review of Vaccines, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 385–397, 2002.
- G. Orive, A. R. Gascón, R. M. Hernández, A. Domínguez-Gil, and J. L. Pedraz, “Techniques: new approaches to the delivery of biopharmaceuticals,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 382–387, 2004.
- V. R. Sinha and A. Trehan, “Biodegradable microspheres for protein delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 261–280, 2003.
- A. Bartkowiak, “Optimal conditions of transplantable binary polyelectrolyte microcapsules,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 944, pp. 120–134, 2001.
- D. W. Green, I. Leveque, D. Walsh et al., “Biomineralized polysaccharide capsules for encapsulation, organization, and delivery of human cell types and growth factors,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 917–923, 2005.
- T. Haque, H. Chen, W. Ouyang et al., “In vitro study of alginate-chitosan microcapsules: an alternative to liver cell transplants for the treatment of liver failure,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 317–322, 2005.
- D. Maysinger, O. Berezovskaya, and S. Fedoroff, “The hematopoietic cytokine colony stimulating factor 1 is also a growth factor in the CNS.2. Microencapsulated CSF-1 and LM-10 cells as delivery systems,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 47–56, 1996.
- D. Maysinger, K. Krieglstein, J. Filipovic-Grcic, M. Sendtner, K. Unsicker, and P. Richardson, “Microencapsulated ciliary neurotrophic factor: physical properties and biological activities,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 177–188, 1996.
- T. Chandy, D. L. Mooradian, and G. H. R. Rao, “Evaluation of modified alginate-chitosan-polyethylene glycol microcapsules for cell encapsulation,” Artificial Organs, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 894–903, 1999.
- G. Klinkenberg, K. Q. Lystad, D. W. Levine, and N. Dyrset, “Cell release from alginate immobilized Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis in chitosan and alginate coated beads,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 1118–1127, 2001.
- W. Krasaekoopt, B. Bhandari, and H. Deeth, “The influence of coating materials on some properties of alginate beads and survivability of microencapsulated probiotic bacteria,” International Dairy Journal, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 737–743, 2004.
- G. Orive, A. Bartkowiak, S. Lisiecki et al., “Biocompatible oligochitosans as cationic modifiers of alginate/Ca microcapsules,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research—Part B, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 429–439, 2005.
- A. Zanina, A. Vilesov, and T. Budtova, “Shear-induced solvent release from gel particles: application to drug-delivery systems,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 242, no. 1-2, pp. 137–146, 2002.
- C. Djerassi, J. D. Gray, and F. A. Kincl, “Naturally occurring oxygen heterocyclics. 9. Isolation and characterization of genipin,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2174–2177, 1960.
- J.-E. Park, J.-Y. Lee, H.-G. Kim, T.-R. Hahn, and Y.-S. Paik, “Isolation and characterization of water-soluble intermediates of blue pigments transformed from geniposide of Gardenia jasminoides,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 22, pp. 6511–6514, 2002.
- H. Chen, W. Ouyang, M. Jones et al., “Preparation and characterization of novel polymeric microcapsules for live cell encapsulation and therapy,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 159–167, 2007.
- J. Jin, M. Song, and D. J. Hourston, “Novel chitosan-based films cross-linked by genipin with improved physical properties,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 162–168, 2004.
- F.-L. Mi, Y.-C. Tan, H.-F. Liang, and H.-W. Sung, “In vivo biocompatibility and degradability of a novel injectable-chitosan-based implant,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 181–191, 2002.
- H. Chen, W. Ouyang, B. Lawuyi, and S. Prakash, “Genipin cross-linked alginate-chitosan microcapsules: membrane characterization and optimization of cross-linking reaction,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 2091–2098, 2006.
- H. Chen, W. Ouyang, C. Martoni, and S. Prakash, “Genipin cross-linked polymeric alginate-chitosan microcapsules for oral delivery: in-vitro analysis,” International Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 2009, Article ID 617184, 16 pages, 2009.
- K. Molly, M. V. Woestyne, and W. Verstraete, “Development of a 5-step multi-chamber reactor as a simulation of the human intestinal microbial ecosystem,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 254–258, 1993.
- N. Berrada, J. F. Lemeland, G. Laroche, P. Thouvenot, and M. Piaia, “Bifidobacterium from fermented milks: survival during gastric transit,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 409–413, 1991.
- J. O. Berg, C. E. Nord, and T. Wadstrom, “Formation of glycosidases in batch and continuous culture of Bacteroides fragilis,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 269–273, 1978.
- H. Chen, W. Ouyang, M. Jones, T. Haque, B. Lawuyi, and S. Prakash, “In-vitro analysis of APA microcapsules for oral delivery of live bacterial cells,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 539–547, 2005.
- F. A. Leblond, J. Tessier, and J.-P. Hallé, “Quantitative method for the evaluation of biomicrocapsule resistance to mechanical stress,” Biomaterials, vol. 17, no. 21, pp. 2097–2102, 1996.
- J. Kovacs-Nolan and Y. Mine, “Microencapsulation for the gastric passage and controlled intestinal release of immunoglobulin Y,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 296, no. 1-2, pp. 199–209, 2005.
- R. Narayani and K. P. Rao, “Polymer-coated gelatin capsules as oral delivery devices and their gastrointestinal tract behaviour in humans,” Journal of Biomaterials Science. Polymer Edition, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 39–48, 1995.
- Y. Sato, Y. Kawashima, H. Takeuchi, H. Yamamoto, and Y. Fujibayashi, “Pharmacoscintigraphic evaluation of riboflavin-containing microballoons for a floating controlled drug delivery system in healthy humans,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 75–85, 2004.
- I. R. Wilding, D. Clark, H. Wray, J. Alderman, N. Muirhead, and C. R. Sikes, “In vivo disintegration profile of encapsulated and nonencapsulated sumatriptan: gamma scintigraphy in healthy volunteers,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 101–105, 2005.
- A. Lamprecht, H. Yamamoto, H. Takeuchi, and Y. Kawashima, “Design of pH-sensitive microspheres for the colonic delivery of the immunosuppressive drug tacrolimus,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 2004.
- T. Reddy and S. Tammishetti, “Gastric resistant microbeads of metal ion cross-linked carboxymethyl guar gum for oral drug delivery,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 311–318, 2002.
- F. Delie, “Evaluation of nano- and microparticle uptake by the gastrointestinal tract,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 34, no. 2-3, pp. 221–233, 1998.
- S. R. Bhatia, S. F. Khattak, and S. C. Roberts, “Polyelectrolytes for cell encapsulation,” Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 10, no. 1-2, pp. 45–51, 2005.
- B. R. S. Hsu, S. H. Fu, J. S. Tsai, Y. Y. Huang, H. S. Huang, and K. S. S. Chang, “The plasminogen-plasmin fibrinolytic system accelerates degradation of alginate-poly-L-lysine-alginate microcapsules in vitro,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 1877–1880, 1997.
- H. Zimmermann, D. Zimmermann, R. Reuss et al., “Towards a medically approved technology for alginate-based microcapsules allowing long-term immunoisolated transplantation,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 491–501, 2005.
- K. Hirayama and J. Rafter, “The role of lactic acid bacteria in colon cancer prevention: mechanistic considerations,” Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek, International Journal of General and Molecular Microbiology, vol. 76, no. 1–4, pp. 391–394, 1999.
- G. L. Simon and S. L. Gorbach, “Intestinal flora in health and disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 174–193, 1984.