- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 168924, 11 pages
Bisphenyl-Polymer/Carbon-Fiber-Reinforced Composite Compared to Titanium Alloy Bone Implant
Department of Biomaterials, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294-0007, USA
Received 21 March 2011; Revised 22 April 2011; Accepted 3 May 2011
Academic Editor: Shanfeng Wang
Copyright © 2011 Richard C. Petersen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. K. Chawla, Composite Materials, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1998.
- S. T. Peters, Handbook of Composites, Chapman and Hall, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1998.
- E. C. Dodds and W. Lawson, “Synthetic estrogenic agents without the phenanthrene nucleus ,” Nature, vol. 137, no. 3476, p. 996, 1936.
- J. B. Lewis, F. A. Rueggeberg, C. A. Lapp, J. W. Ergle, and G. S. Schuster, “Identification and characterization of estrogen-like components in commercial resin-based dental restorative materials,” Clinical Oral Investigations, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 107–113, 1999.
- L. Gennari, R. Nuti, and J. P. Bilezikian, “Aromatase activity and bone homeostasis in men,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 12, pp. 5898–5907, 2004.
- R. Okazaki, D. Inoue, M. Shibata et al., “Estrogen promotes early osteoblast differentiation and inhibits adipocyte differentiation in mouse bone marrow stromal cell lines that express estrogen receptor (ER) α or β,” Endocrinology, vol. 143, no. 6, pp. 2349–2356, 2002.
- M. N. Weitzmann and R. Pacifici, “Estrogen deficiency and bone loss: an inflammatory tale,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 5, pp. 1186–1194, 2006.
- B. D. Ratner, A. S. Hoffman, F. J. Schoen, and J. E. Lemons, Biomaterials Science, Elsevier, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.
- B. J. Park and R. S. Lakes, Biomaterials, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1992.
- R. C. Petersen, J. E. Lemons, and M. S. Reddy, “Triclosan antimicrobial for medical/dental devices,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Annual South East Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials Workshop, p. 52, Birmingham, Ala, USA, February 2005.
- D. Sudhin and D. J. Lobse, Polymeric Compatibilizers, Hanser, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- A. S. Brown, “Revolution in thermoset composites,” Aerospace America, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 18–23, 1989.
- R. C. Petersen, J. E. Lemons, and M. S. McCracken, “Micromechanics for fiber volume percent with a photocure vinyl ester composite,” Polymer Composites, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 294–310, 2007.
- J. V. Milewski, “A study of the packing of milled fibreglass and glass beads,” Composites, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 258–265, 1973.
- L. Sherwood, Human Physiology, Thompson, Belmont, Calif, USA, 5th edition, 2004.
- B. Alberts, D. Bray, J. Lewis, M. Raff, K. Roberts, and J. D. Watson, Molecular Biology of the Cell, Garland Publishing, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1994.
- R. Petersen, Micromechanics & Fiber-Reinforced Composites in Biomedical Research, VDH, Saarbrücken, Germany, 2008.
- W. D. Callister, Materials Science and Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- Y. Ramadin, S. A. Jawad, S. M. Musameh et al., “Electrical and electromagnetic shielding behavior of laminated epoxy-carbon fiber composite,” Polymer International, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 145–150, 1994.
- G. Ryan, A. Pandit, and D. P. Apatsidis, “Fabrication methods of porous metals for use in orthopaedic applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 13, pp. 2651–2670, 2006.
- M. McCracken, J. E. Lemons, F. Rahemtulla, C. W. Prince, and D. Feldman, “Bone response to titanium alloy implants placed in diabetic rats,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 345–354, 2000.
- A. J. Friedenstein, R. K. Chailakhyan, and U. V. Gerasimov, “Bone marrow osteogenic stem cells: in vitro cultivation and transplantation in diffusion chambers,” Cell and Tissue Kinetics, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 263–272, 1987.
- J. J. Minguell, A. Erices, and P. Conget, “Mesenchymal stem cells,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 226, no. 6, pp. 507–520, 2001.
- S. A. Redey, M. Nardin, D. Bernache-Assolant et al., “Behavior of human osteoblastic cells on stoichiometric hydroxyapatite and type A carbonate apatite: role of surface energy,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 353–364, 2000.
- P. Zanchetta and J. Guezennec, “Surface thermodynamics of osteoblasts: relation between hydrophobicity and bone active biomaterials,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 301–307, 2001.
- D. Halliday, R. Resnick, and J. Walker, Fundamentals of Physics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 1993.
- B. S. Avset, “Evaluation of silicon diodes made on a variety of high-resistivity phosphorus-doped substrates,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, vol. 385, no. 1, pp. 137–144, 1997.
- G. L. Jendrasiak and R. L. Smith, “The interaction of water with the phospholipid head group and its relationship to the lipid electrical conductivity,” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 183–195, 2004.
- 29. Kossuth, Quartzel Fused Quartz Textiles, Saint Gobain, Advanced Ceramic Division, Quartz Technology Department, 77793 Nemours Cedex, France. Paris, April 2/1/002E, 1998.
- E. Fukada, “History and recent progress in piezoelectric polymers,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1277–1290, 2000.
- D. Youxian, W. Dianxun, and S. Mujin, “A study of the surface of carbon fiber by means of X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy-III,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 119–126, 1987.
- J. A. Bornmann and C. J. Wolf, “Reaction of nitric acid with a solid epoxy resin,” Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 851–856, 1984.
- H. Burkhard and H. Schroder, “Nitrate tolerance is specific for nitric acid esters and its recovery requires an intact protein synthesis,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 1998, no. 1, pp. 232–235, 1998.
- S. S. Zumdahl, Chemistry, D. C. Heath and Company, Lexington, Mass, USA, 1993.
- A. G. Gilman, L. S. Goodman, T. W. Rall, and F. Murad, The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, Macmillan Publishing Company, New York, NY, USA, 7th edition, 1985.
- S. Christoph and F.-J. Meyer-Almes, “Novel fluorescence based receptor binding assay method for receptors lacking ligand conjugates with preserved affinity: study on estrogen receptor α,” Biopolymers, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 256–263, 2003.
- R. Kasher, B. Gayer, T. Kulik et al., “Design, synthesis, and evaluation of peptides with estrogen-like activity,” Biopolymers, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 404–420, 2004.