- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 503940, 11 pages
Role of Polysaccharides on Mechanical and Adhesion Properties of Flax Fibres in Flax/PLA Biocomposite
LIMATB (Laboratoire d'Ingénierie des MATériaux de Bretagne), Centre de Recherche, Université de Bretagne Sud (UBS-Ueb), Rue de Saint Maudé, 56321 Lorient Cedex, France
Received 10 January 2011; Accepted 2 March 2011
Academic Editor: Susheel Kalia
Copyright © 2011 Gijo Raj et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Bodros, I. Pillin, N. Montrelay, and C. Baley, “Could biopolymers reinforced by randomly scattered flax fibre be used in structural applications?” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 67, no. 3-4, pp. 462–470, 2007.
- D. Plackett, T. L. Andersen, W. B. Pedersen, and L. Nielsen, “Biodegradable composites based on L-polylactide and jute fibres,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1287–1296, 2003.
- K. Oksman, M. Skrifvars, and J. F. Selin, “Natural fibres as reinforcement in polylactic acid (PLA) composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1317–1324, 2003.
- C. Baley, “Analysis of the flax fibres tensile behaviour and analysis of the tensile stiffness increase,” Composites A, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 939–948, 2002.
- C. Morvan, C. Andème-Onzighi, R. Girault, D. S. Himmelsbach, A. Driouich, and D. E. Akin, “Building flax fibres: more than one brick in the walls,” Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 41, no. 11-12, pp. 935–944, 2003.
- H. L. Bos, J. Müssig, and M. J. A. van den Oever, “Mechanical properties of short-flax-fibre reinforced compounds,” Composites A, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1591–1604, 2006.
- K. Charlet, J. P. Jernot, M. Gomina, J. Bréard, C. Morvan, and C. Baley, “Influence of an Agatha flax fibre location in a stem on its mechanical, chemical and morphological properties,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 1399–1403, 2009.
- A. Šturcová, G. R. Davies, and S. J. Eichhorn, “Elastic modulus and stress-transfer properties of tunicate cellulose whiskers,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 1055–1061, 2005.
- A. K. Mohanty, M. Misra, and L. T. Drzal, “Surface modifications of natural fibers and performance of the resulting biocomposites: an overview,” Composite Interfaces, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 313–343, 2001.
- S. Kalia, B. S. Kaith, and I. Kaur, “Pretreatments of natural fibers and their application as reinforcing material in polymer composites-a review,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 1253–1272, 2009.
- A. Arbelaiz, G. Cantero, B. Fernández, I. Mondragon, P. Gañán, and J. M. Kenny, “Flax fiber surface modifications: effects on fiber physico mechanical and flax/polypropylene interface properties,” Polymer Composites, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 324–332, 2005.
- I. Van de Weyenberg, T. Chi Truong, B. Vangrimde, and I. Verpoest, “Improving the properties of UD flax fibre reinforced composites by applying an alkaline fibre treatment,” Composites A, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 1368–1376, 2006.
- J. Gassan and A. K. Bledzki, “Alkali treatment of jute fibers: relationship between structure and mechanical properties,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 623–629, 1999.
- L. Y. Mwaikambo and M. P. Ansell, “Chemical modification of hemp, sisal, jute, and kapok fibers by alkalization,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 84, no. 12, pp. 2222–2234, 2002.
- H. S. S. Sharma, L. Whiteside, and K. Kernaghan, “Enzymatic treatment of flax fibre at the roving stage for production of wet-spun yarn,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 386–394, 2005.
- D. E. Akin, J. A. Foulk, R. B. Dodd, and D. D. McAlister, “Enzyme-retting of flax and characterization of processed fibers,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 89, no. 2-3, pp. 193–203, 2001.
- P. A. Penttilä, A. Várnai, K. Leppänen et al., “Changes in submicrometer structure of enzymatically hydrolyzed microcrystalline cellulose,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1111–1117, 2010.
- M. Z. Rong, M. Q. Zhang, Y. Liu, G. C. Yang, and H. M. Zeng, “The effect of fiber treatment on the mechanical properties of unidirectional sisal-reinforced epoxy composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 1437–1447, 2001.
- S. Marais, F. Gouanvé, A. Bonnesoeur et al., “Unsaturated polyester composites reinforced with flax fibers: effect of cold plasma and autoclave treatments on mechanical and permeation properties,” Composites A, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 975–986, 2005.
- A. Jähn, M. W. Schröder, M. Füting, K. Schenzel, and W. Diepenbrock, “Characterization of alkali treated flax fibres by means of FT Raman spectroscopy and environmental scanning electron microscopy,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 2271–2279, 2002.
- C. Baley, F. Busnel, Y. Grohens, and O. Sire, “Influence of chemical treatments on surface properties and adhesion of flax fibre-polyester resin,” Composites A, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1626–1637, 2006.
- A. Pietak, S. Korte, E. Tan, A. Downard, and M. P. Staiger, “Atomic force microscopy characterization of the surface wettability of natural fibres,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 253, no. 7, pp. 3627–3635, 2007.
- E. Balnois, F. Busnel, C. Baley, and Y. Grohens, “An AFM study of the effect of chemical treatments on the surface microstructure and adhesion properties of flax fibres,” Composite Interfaces, vol. 14, no. 7–10, pp. 715–731, 2007.
- K. Joseph, L. H. C. Mattoso, R. D. Toledo, et al., “Natural fiber reinforced thermoplastic composites,” in Natural Polymers and Agrofibers Composites, E. Frollini, A. L. Leao, and L. H. C. Mattoso, Eds., pp. 159–202, Embrapa, USP/ UNESP, San Carlos, Brazil, 2000.
- C. H. Chen, C. Y. Chen, Y. W. Lo, C. F. Mao, and W. T. Liao, “Characterization of alkali-treated jute fibers for physical and mechanical properties,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 80, no. 7, pp. 1013–1020, 2001.
- J. T. Kim and A. N. Netravali, “Mercerization of sisal fibers: effect of tension on mechanical properties of sisal fiber and fiber-reinforced composites,” Composites A, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 1245–1252, 2010.
- K. Charlet, C. Baley, C. Morvan, J. P. Jernot, M. Gomina, and J. Bréard, “Characteristics of Hermès flax fibres as a function of their location in the stem and properties of the derived unidirectional composites,” Composites A, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 1912–1921, 2007.
- P. Fratzl, I. Burgert, and H. S. Gupta, “On the role of interface polymers for the mechanics of natural polymeric composites,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 6, no. 24, pp. 5575–5579, 2004.
- J. Keckes, I. Burgert, K. Frühmann et al., “Cell-wall recovery after irreversible deformation of wood,” Nature Materials, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 810–814, 2003.
- C. M. Altaner and M. C. Jarvis, “Modelling polymer interactions of the 'molecular Velcro' type in wood under mechanical stress,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 253, no. 3, pp. 434–445, 2008.
- E. Zini, M. Scandola, and P. Getenholm, “Heterogeneous acylation of flax fibers. Reaction kinetics and surface properties,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 821–827, 2003.
- S. Borysiak and J. Garbarczyk, “Applying the WAXS method to estimate the supermolecular structure of cellulose fibres after mercerisation,” Fibres and Textiles in Eastern Europe, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 104–106, 2003.
- C. Baley, “Influence of kink bands on the tensile strength of flax fibers,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 331–334, 2004.
- A. Straub, M. Slivka, and P. Schwartz, “A study of the effects of time and temperature on the fiber/matrix interface strength using the microbond test,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 991–994, 1997.
- A. Kelly and W. R. Tyson, “Tensile properties of fibre-reinforced metals: copper/tungsten and copper/molybdenum,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 329–338, 1965.
- M. Pommet, J. Juntaro, J. Y. Y. Heng et al., “Surface modification of natural fibers using bacteria: depositing bacterial cellulose onto natural fibers to create hierarchical fiber reinforced nanocomposites,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1643–1651, 2008.
- G. Raj, E. Balnois, C. Baley, and Y. Grohens, “Probing cellulose/polylactic acid interactions in model biocomposite by colloidal force microscopy,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 352, no. 1-3, pp. 47–55, 2009.
- G. Raj, E. Balnoiso, C. Baley, and Y. Grohens, “Adhesion force mapping of raw and treated flax fibres using afm force-volume,” Journal of Scanning Probe Microscopy, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 66–72, 2009.
- H. J. Butt, B. Cappella, and M. Kappl, “Force measurements with the atomic force microscope: technique, interpretation and applications,” Surface Science Reports, vol. 59, no. 1–6, pp. 1–152, 2005.
- D. L. Sedin and K. L. Rowlen, “Adhesion forces measured by atomic force microscopy in humid air,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 72, no. 10, pp. 2183–2189, 2000.
- R. Jones, H. M. Pollock, J. A. S. Cleaver, and C. S. Hodges, “Adhesion forces between glass and silicon surfaces in air studied by AFM: effects of relative humidity, particle size, roughness, and surface treatment,” Langmuir, vol. 18, no. 21, pp. 8045–8055, 2002.
- R. Sun, J. M. Fang, and J. Tomkinson, “Characterization and esterification of hemicelluloses from rye straw,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 1247–1252, 2000.
- O. Biermann, E. Hädicke, S. Koltzenburg, and F. Müller-Plathe, “Hydrophilicity and lipophilicity of cellulose crystal surfaces,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition, vol. 40, no. 20, pp. 3822–3825, 2001.
- A. Zykwinska, J. F. Thibault, and M. C. Ralet, “Modelling of xyloglucan, pectins and pectic side chains binding onto cellulose microfibrils,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2008.
- A. J. Michell and H. G. Higgins, “The absence of free hydroxyl groups in cellulose,” Cellulose, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 89–91, 1999.