- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 592906, 10 pages
Effect of Different Parameters on Mechanical and Erosion Wear Behavior of Bamboo Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Composites
1School of Engineering and Technology, IGNOU, New Delhi 110068, India
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, N I T, Hamirpur 177005, India
3Department of Mechanical Engineering, N I T, Orissa, Rourkela 769008, India
Received 30 March 2011; Revised 15 May 2011; Accepted 14 June 2011
Academic Editor: Bibin Mathew Cherian
Copyright © 2011 Anu Gupta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Öztürk, “Effect of fiber loading on the mechanical properties of kenaf and fiberfrax fiber-reinforced phenol-formaldehyde composites,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 44, no. 19, pp. 2265–2288, 2010.
- S. Biswas, S. Kindo, and A. Patnaik, “Effect of fiber length on mechanical behavior of coir fiber reinforced epoxy composites,” Fibers and Polymers, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 73–78, 2011.
- J. W. Kim, J. J. Lee, and D. G. Lee, “Effect of fiber orientation on the tensile strength in fiber-reinforced polymeric composite materials,” Key Engineering Materials, vol. 297–300, pp. 2897–2902, 2005.
- E. S. AL-Hassani and S. R. Areef, “The effect of fiber orientation on creep behavior and flextural strength in epoxy composites,” Engineering & Technology Journal, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1281–1289, 2010.
- H. M. Clark, “Particle velocity and size effects in laboratory slurry erosion measurements OR... do you know what your particles are doing?” Tribology International, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 617–624, 2002.
- A. P. Harsha and A. A. Thakre, “Investigation on solid particle erosion behaviour of polyetherimide and its composites,” Wear, vol. 262, no. 7-8, pp. 807–818, 2007.
- N. M. Barkoula and J. Karger-Kocsis, “Effects of fibre content and relative fibre-orientation on the solid particle erosion of GF/PP composites,” Wear, vol. 252, no. 1-2, pp. 80–87, 2002.
- V. K. Srivastava, “Effects of wheat starch on erosive wear of E-glass fibre reinforced epoxy resin composite materials,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 435-436, pp. 282–287, 2006.
- R. Zhou, D. H. Lu, Y. H. Jiang, and Q. N. Li, “Mechanical properties and erosion wear resistance of polyurethane matrix composites,” Wear, vol. 259, no. 1–6, pp. 676–683, 2005.
- R. Rattan and J. Bijwe, “Influence of impingement angle on solid particle erosion of carbon fabric reinforced polyetherimide composite,” Wear, vol. 262, no. 5-6, pp. 568–574, 2007.
- J. Bijwe and R. Rattan, “Influence of weave of carbon fabric in polyetherimide composites in various wear situations,” Wear, vol. 263, no. 7-12, pp. 984–991, 2007.
- V. K. Srivastava and A. G. Pawar, “Solid particle erosion of glass fibre reinforced flyash filled epoxy resin composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 66, no. 15, pp. 3021–3028, 2006.
- U. S. Tewari, A. P. Harsha, A. M. Häger, and K. Friedrich, “Solid particle erosion of unidirectional carbon fibre reinforced polyetheretherketone composites,” Wear, vol. 252, no. 11-12, pp. 992–1000, 2002.
- U. S. Tewari, A. P. Harsha, A. M. Häger, and K. Friedrich, “Solid particle erosion of carbon fibre- and glass fibre-epoxy composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 3-4, pp. 549–557, 2003.
- H. Zhang, Z. Zhang, and K. Friedrich, “Effect of fiber length on the wear resistance of short carbon fiber reinforced epoxy composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 222–230, 2007.
- A. Patnaik, A. Satapathy, M. Dwivedy, and S. Biswas, “Wear behavior of plant fiber (Pine-Bark) and cement kiln dust-reinforced polyester composites using Taguchi experimental model,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 559–574, 2010.
- B. D. Agarwal and L. J. Broutman, Analysis and Performance of Fiber Composites, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1990.
- A. W. Ruff and L. K. Ives, “Measurement of solid particle velocity in erosive wear,” Wear, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 195–199, 1975.
- J. A. E. Månson, M. D. Wakeman, and N. Bernet, “Composite processing and manufacturing—an overview,” in Comprehensive Composite Materials, A. Kelly and C. Zweben, Eds., vol. 2, chapter 2, pp. 577–607, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2000.
- H. Lilholt and A. B. Bjerre, “Composites based on jute-fibres and polypropylene matrix, their fabrication and characterization,” in Proceedings of the 18th Risø International Symposium on Materials Science, Polymeric Composites – Expanding the Limits, pp. 411–423, Risø National Laboratory, Roskilde, Denmark, 1997.
- B. Madsen, Properties of plant fibre yarn polymer composites–an experimental study, Ph.D. thesis, Technical University of Denmark, Department of Civil Engineering, 2004.
- A. Thygesen, Properties of hemp fibre polymer composites–an optimisation of fibre properties using novel defibration methods and detailed fibre characterization, Ph.D. thesis, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Danish Centre for Forest, Landscape and Planning, 2005.
- B. Madsen and H. Lilholt, “Compaction of plant fibre assemblies,” in Proceedings of the 23rd Risø International Symposium on Materials Science, Sustainable Natural and Polymeric Composites–Science and Technology, pp. 239–250, Risø National Laboratory, Roskilde, Denmark, 2002.
- K. Oksman, “Mechanical properties of natural fibre mat reinforced thermoplastic,” Applied Composite Materials, vol. 7, no. 5-6, pp. 403–414, 2000.
- T. H. Ferrigno, Handbook of Fillers and Reinforcements for Plastics, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- L. Y. Mwaikambo and E. T. N. Bisanda, “Performance of cotton-kapok fabric-polyester composites,” Polymer Testing, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 181–198, 1999.
- L. W. H. Leonard, K. J. Wong, K. O. Low, and B. F. Yousif, “Fracture behaviour of glass fibre-reinforced polyester composite,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part L, vol. 223, no. 2, pp. 83–89, 2009.
- K. J. Wong, B. F. Yousif, K. O. Low, Y. Ng, and S. L. Tan, “Effects of fillers on the fracture behaviour of particulate polyester composites,” Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 67–78, 2010.
- H. Ismail, M. R. Edyham, and B. Wirjosentono, “Bamboo fibre filled natural rubber composites: the effects of filler loading and bonding agent,” Polymer Testing, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 139–144, 2002.
- W. Yao and Z. Li, “Flexural behavior of bamboo-fiber-reinforced mortar laminates,” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 2003.
- M. Bagueri, “The Three-points Bending Test,” in Critical Review Proceedings of the 8th Japan-US Conference on Composite Materials, pp. 683–692, Technomic Publ., Baltimore, Md, USA, 1998.
- Q. Zhao, J. Tao, R. C. M. Yam, A. C. K. Mok, R. K. Y. Li, and C. Song, “Biodegradation behavior of polycaprolactone/rice husk ecocomposites in simulated soil medium,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 93, no. 8, pp. 1571–1576, 2008.
- H. S. Yang, H. J. Kim, J. Son, H. J. Park, B. J. Lee, and T. S. Hwang, “Rice-husk flour filled polypropylene composites; mechanical and morphological study,” Composite Structures, vol. 63, no. 3-4, pp. 305–312, 2004.
- M. S. Huda, L. T. Drzal, A. K. Mohanty, and M. Misra, “Effect of fiber surface-treatments on the properties of laminated biocomposites from poly(lactic acid) (PLA) and kenaf fibers,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 424–432, 2008.
- H. G. B. Premalal, H. Ismail, and A. Baharin, “Comparison of the mechanical properties of rice husk powder filled polypropylene composites with talc filled polypropylene composites,” Polymer Testing, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 833–839, 2002.
- J. C. Arnold and I. M. Hutchings, “Erosive wear of rubber by solid particles at normal incidence,” Wear, vol. 161, no. 1-2, pp. 213–221, 1993.
- J. C. Arnold and I. M. Hutchings, “Model for the erosive wear of rubber at oblique impact angles,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 25, no. 1A, pp. A222–A229, 1992.
- S. Biswas and A. Satapathy, “Erosion wear analysis of SiC filled glass-epoxy composites using Taguchi technique,” International Polymer Processing, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 23–33, 2009.
- S. Biswas and A. Satapathy, “An assessment of erosion wear response of SiC filled epoxy composites reinforced with glass and bamboo fibers,” International Polymer Processing, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 205–222, 2010.
- A. Patnaik, A. Satapathy, S. S. Mahapatra, and R. R. Dash, “Erosive wear assesment of glass reinforced polyester-flyash composites using taguchi method,” International Polymer Processing, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 192–199, 2008.