- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 645820, 7 pages
In Vitro Evaluation of a Biomedical-Grade Bilayer Chitosan Porous Skin Regenerating Template as a Potential Dermal Scaffold in Skin Tissue Engineering
1Reconstructive Sciences Unit, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kelantan, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Malaysia
2Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science and Mathematics, Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia
3Advanced Materials Research Centre (AMREC) SIRIM Berhad, Lot 34, Jalan Hi-Tech 2/3, Kulim Hi-Tech Park, Kedah, 09000 Kulim, Malaysia
Received 18 May 2011; Revised 10 July 2011; Accepted 10 July 2011
Academic Editor: Shanfeng Wang
Copyright © 2011 Chin Keong Lim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. G. Peter, “Applications and environmental aspects of chitin and chitosan,” Journal of Macromolecular Science: Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. A32, pp. 629–640, 1995.
- M. N. V. Ravi Kumar, “A review of chitin and chitosan applications,” Reactive and Functional Polymers, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 2000.
- M. Prabaharan, “Chitosan derivatives as promising materials for controlled drug delivery,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 5–36, 2008.
- M. Morimoto, H. Saimoto, and Y. Shigemasa, “Control of functions of chitin and chitosan by chemical modification,” Trends in Glycoscience and Glycotechnology, vol. 14, no. 78, pp. 205–222, 2002.
- C. K. Lim, A. S. Halim, H. Y. Lau, Z. Ujang, and A. Hazri, “In vitro cytocology model of oligo-chitosan and N, O-carboxymethyl chitosan using primary normal human epidermal keratinocyte cultures,” Journal of Applied Biomaterials & Biomechanics, vol. 5, pp. 82–87, 2007.
- L. C. Keong and A. S. Halim, “In Vitro models in biocompatibility assessment for biomedical-grade chitosan derivatives in wound management,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1300–1313, 2009.
- C. K. Lim, N. S. Yaacob, Z. Ismail, and A. S. Halim, “In vitro biocompatibility of chitosan porous skin regenerating templates (PSRTs) using primary human skin keratinocytes,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 721–727, 2010.
- M. S. B. Abdull Rasad, A. S. Halim, K. Hashim, A. H. A. Rashid, N. Yusof, and S. Shamsuddin, “In vitro evaluation of novel chitosan derivatives sheet and paste cytocompatibility on human dermal fibroblasts,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 1094–1100, 2010.
- D. K. Singh and A. R. Ray, “Biomedical applications of chitin, chitosan, and their derivatives,” Reviews in Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, vol. 40, pp. 69–83, 2000.
- I. Zainol, S. M. Ghani, A. Mastor, M. A. Derman, and M. F. Yahya, “Enzymatic degradation study of porous chitosan membrane,” Materials Research Innovations, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 316–319, 2009.
- M. Coufal, M. M. Maxwell, D. E. Russel et al., “Discovery of a novel small-molecule targeting selective clearance of mutant huntingtin fragments,” Journal of Biomolecular Screening, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 351–360, 2007.
- H. Liu, H. Fan, Y. Cui, Y. Chen, K. Yao, and J. C. H. Goh, “Effects of the controlled-released basic fibroblast growth factor from chitosan-gelatin microspheres on human fibroblasts cultured on a chitosan-gelatin scaffold,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1446–1455, 2007.
- H. Liu, Y. Yin, and K. Yao, “Construction of chitosan-gelatin-hyaluronic acid artificial skin in vitro,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 413–430, 2007.
- H. R. Lin, K. S. Chen, S. C. Chen et al., “Attachment of stem cells on porous chitosan scaffold crosslinked by Na5P3O10,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 280–284, 2007.
- X. Ponsoda, C. Núñez, J. V. Castell, and M. J. Gómez-Lechón, “Evaluation of the cytotoxic effects of MEIC chemicals 31-50 on primary culture of rat hepatocytes and hepatic and non-hepatic cell lines,” ATLA Alternatives to Laboratory Animals, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 423–436, 1997.
- A. Yang, D. L. Cardona, and F. A. Barile, “Subacute cytotoxicity testing with cultured human lung cells,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 2002.
- C. Clemedson, F. A. Barile, C. Chesné et al., “MEIC evaluation of acute systemic toxicity. Part VII. Prediction of human toxicity by results from testing of the first 30 reference chemicals with 27 further in vitro assays,” ATLA Alternatives to Laboratory Animals, vol. 28, supplement 1, pp. 161–200, 2000.
- G. R. Sharpe and C. Fisher, “Time-dependent inhibition of growth of human keratinocytes and fibroblasts by cyclosporin A: effect on keratinocytes at therapeutic blood levels,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 207–213, 1990.
- C. Baba, K. Yanagida, T. Kanzaki, and M. Baba, “Colorimetric lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) assay for evaluation of antiviral activity against bovine viral diarrhoea virus (BVDV) in vitro,” Antiviral Chemistry and Chemotherapy, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 2005.
- Y. W. Cho, Y. N. Cho, S. H. Chung, G. Yoo, and S. W. Ko, “Water-soluble chitin as a wound healing accelerator,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 22, pp. 2139–2145, 1999.
- D. W. Lee, S. A. Shirley, R. F. Lockey, and S. S. Mohapatra, “Thiolated chitosan nanoparticles enhance anti-inflammatory effects of intranasally delivered theophylline,” Respiratory Research, vol. 7, article no. 112, 2006.
- I. Setnikar, R. Cereda, M. A. Pacini, and L. Revel, “Antireactive properties of glucosamine sulfate,” Arzneimittel-Forschung, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 157–161, 1991.
- T. Mammone, D. Gan, C. Fthenakis, and K. Marenus, “The effect of N-acetyl-glucosamine on stratum corneum desquamation and water content in human skin,” Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 423–428, 2009.
- D. N. Sauder, “The role of epidermal cytokines in inflammatory skin diseases,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 27–28, 1990.
- A. Oxholm, M. Diamant, P. Oxholm, and K. Bendtzen, “Interleukin-6 and tumour necrosis factor alpha are expressed by keratinocytes but not by Langerhans cells,” APMIS, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 58–64, 1991.
- D. Daliani, R. A. Ulmer, C. Jackow et al., “Tumor necrosis factor-α and interferon-γ, but not HTLV-I tax, are likely factors in the epidermotropism of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma via induction of interferon-inducible protein-10,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 29, no. 3-4, pp. 315–328, 1998.
- A. P. Zhu, S. Q. Wang, D. M. Cheng et al., “Attachment and growth of cultured fibroblast cells on chitosan/PHEA-blended hydrogels,” Chinese Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 109–111, 2002.
- A. Fakhry, G. B. Schneider, R. Zaharias, and S. Şenel, “Chitosan supports the initial attachment and spreading of osteoblasts preferentially over fibroblasts,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2075–2079, 2004.
- Y. Okamoto, A. Inoue, K. Miyatake, K. Ogihara, Y. Shigemasa, and S. Minami, “Effects of chitin/chitosan and their oligomers/ monomers on migrations of macrophages,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 587–590, 2003.