- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 651549, 8 pages
Manipulation of Polyhydroxybutyrate Properties through Blending with Ethyl-Cellulose for a Composite Biomaterial
1Bio/Polymer Research Group, Centre for Advanced Macromolecular Design, School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Science, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
2Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, Lucas Heights, NSW 2234, Australia
Received 6 May 2011; Accepted 30 May 2011
Academic Editor: Shanfeng Wang
Copyright © 2011 Rodman T. H. Chan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. M. Kapritchkoff, A. P. Viotti, R. C. P. Alli et al., “Enzymatic recovery and purification of polyhydroxybutyrate produced by Ralstonia eutropha,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 453–462, 2006.
- T. Freier, “Biopolyesters in tissue engineering applications,” Advances in Polymer Science, vol. 203, no. 1, pp. 1–61, 2006.
- C. A. Woolnough, T. Charlton, L. H. Yee, M. Sarris, and L. J. R. Foster, “Surface changes in polyhydroxyalkanoate films during biodegradation and biofouling,” Polymer International, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 1042–1051, 2008.
- L. J. Chen and M. Wang, “Production and evaluation of biodegradable composites based on PHB-PHV copolymer,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 13, pp. 2631–2639, 2002.
- L. J. R. Foster and B. J. Tighe, “Enzymatic assay of hydroxybutyric acid monomer formation in poly(β-hydroxybutyrate) degradation studies,” Biomaterials, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 341–343, 1995.
- L. J. R. Foster and B. J. Tighe, “In vitro hydrolytic degradation of centrifugally spun polyhydroxybutyrate-pectin composite fibres,” Polymer International, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 1442–1451, 2009.
- S. Philip, T. Keshavarz, and I. Roy, “Polyhydroxyalkanoates: biodegradable polymers with a range of applications,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 233–247, 2007.
- Z. W. Dai, X. H. Zou, and G. Q. Chen, “Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyhexanoate) as an injectable implant system for prevention of post-surgical tissue adhesion,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 17, pp. 3075–3083, 2009.
- J. W. You, H. J. Chiu, and T. M. Don, “Spherulitic morphology and crystallization kinetics of melt-miscible blends of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) with low molecular weight poly(ethylene oxide),” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 15, pp. 4355–4362, 2003.
- K. Zhao, Y. Deng, J. C. Chen, and G. Q. Chen, “Polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) scaffolds with good mechanical properties and biocompatibility,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1041–1045, 2003.
- C. Chen, C. H. Yu, Y. C. Cheng, P. H. F. Yu, and M. K. Cheung, “Biodegradable nanoparticles of amphiphilic triblock copolymers based on poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) and poly(ethylene glycol) as drug carriers,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 27, pp. 4804–4814, 2006.
- M. M. Crowley, B. Schroeder, A. Fredersdorf et al., “Physicochemical properties and mechanism of drug release from ethyl cellulose matrix tablets prepared by direct compression and hot-melt extrusion,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 269, no. 2, pp. 509–522, 2004.
- H. Dong, Q. Xu, Y. Li, S. Mo, S. Cai, and L. Liu, “The synthesis of biodegradable graft copolymer cellulose-graft-poly(l-lactide) and the study of its controlled drug release,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 26–33, 2008.
- J. Chen, S. Jo, and K. Park, “Polysaccharide hydrogels for protein drug delivery,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 1995.
- D. S. Rosa, N. T. Lotto, D. R. Lopes, and C. G. F. Guedes, “The use of roughness for evaluating the biodegradation of poly-β-(hydroxybutyrate) and poly-β-(hydroxybutyrate-co-β-valerate),” Polymer Testing, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 3–8, 2004.
- Y. Kumagai, Y. Kanesawa, and Y. Doi, “Enzymatic degradation of microbial poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) films,” Makromolekular Chemie, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 1992.
- X. J. Loh, K. K. Tan, X. Li, and J. Li, “The in vitro hydrolysis of poly(ester urethane)s consisting of poly[(R)-3-hydroxybutyrate] and poly(ethylene glycol),” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1841–1850, 2006.
- L. Zhang, X. Deng, and Z. Huang, “Miscibility, thermal behaviour and morphological structure of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) and ethyl cellulose binary blends,” Polymer, vol. 38, no. 21, pp. 5379–5387, 1997.
- P. J. Barham, A. Keller, E. L. Otun, and P. A. Holmes, “Crystallization and morphology of a bacterial thermoplastic: poly-3-hydroxybutyrate,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 2781–2794, 1984.
- H. Marçal, N. S. Wanandy, V. Sanguanchaipaiwong et al., “BioPEGylation of polyhydroxyalkanoates: influence on properties and satellite-stem cell cycle,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 2719–2726, 2008.
- R. S. Chung, A. Woodhouse, S. Fung et al., “Olfactory ensheathing cells promote neurite sprouting of injured axons in vitro by direct cellular contact and secretion of soluble factors,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 1238–1245, 2004.
- C. Vogel, E. Wessel, and H. W. Siesler, “FT-IR imaging spectroscopy of phase separation in blends of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) with poly(L-lactic acid) and poly(ε-caprolactone),” Biomacromolecules, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 523–527, 2008.
- T. Furukawa, H. Sato, R. Murakami et al., “Structure, dispersibility, and crystallinity of poly(hydroxybutyrate)/ poly(L-lactic acid) blends studied by FT-IR microspectroscopy and differential scanning calorimetry,” Macromolecules, vol. 38, no. 15, pp. 6445–6454, 2005.
- L. J. R. Foster, V. Sanguanchaipaiwong, C. L. Gabelish, J. Hook, and M. Stenzel, “A natural-synthetic hybrid copolymer of polyhydroxyoctanoate-diethylene glycol: biosynthesis and properties,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 17, pp. 6587–6594, 2005.
- B. L. Hurrell and R. E. Cameron, “A wide-angle X-ray scattering study of the ageing of poly(hydroxybutyrate),” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1709–1713, 1998.
- T. Wang, G. Cheng, S. Ma, Z. Cai, and L. Zhang, “Crystallization behavior, mechanical properties, and environmental biodegradability of poly(β-hydroxybutyrate)/cellulose acetate butyrate blends,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 2116–2122, 2003.
- M. Scandola, “Polymer blends based on bacterial poly(3-hydroxybutyrate),” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 41, supplement 1, pp. 310–315, 1995.
- C. J. Garvey, R. A. Russell, V. M. Garamus, F. Boue, L. J. R. Foster, and P. J. Holden, Small Angle Neutron Scattering Study of the Interface between Ethylcellulose and Polyhydroxyalkanoate Blends during Annealing, Abstract, SAS2009, ANSTO, Oxford, UK, 2009.
- I. I. Muhamad, L. K. Joon, and M. Noor, “Comparing the degradation of poly-β-(hydroxybutyrate), 39-46 poly-β-(hydroxybutyrate-co-β-valerate)(PHBV) and PHBV/cellulose triacetate blend,” Malaysian Polymer Journal, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2006.
- Z. Kai, D. Ying, and C. Guo-Qiang, “Effects of surface morphology on the biocompatibility of polyhydroxyalkanoates,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 115–123, 2003.
- L. J. R. Foster, “Biosynthesis, properties and potential of natural-synthetic hybrids of polyhydroxyalkanoates and polyethylene glycols,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 1241–1247, 2007.
- B. Hazer, “Amphiphilic poly(3-hydroxyalkanoate)s: potential candidates for medical applications,” Energy and Power Engineering, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 31–38, 2010.