- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 736474, 7 pages
Kenaf Bast Fibers—Part II: Inorganic Nanoparticle Impregnation for Polymer Composites
1Forest Products Department (FPD), Mississippi State University (MSU), Box 9820, Starkville, MS 39762-9601, USA
2Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems (CAVS), Mississippi State University, Box 5405, Starkville, MS 39762-5405, USA
3International Center for Bamboo and Rattan, No. 8 Futong Dongdajie, Wangjing Area, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100102, China
Received 1 April 2011; Revised 18 June 2011; Accepted 5 July 2011
Academic Editor: Bibin Mathew Cherian
Copyright © 2011 Jinshu Shi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. G. Allan, J. P. Carroll, A. R. Negri, M. Raghuraman, P. Ritzenthaler, and A. Yahiaoui, “The microporosity of pulp: the precipitation of inorganic fillers within the micropores of the cell wall,” TAPPI Journal, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 175–178, 1992.
- S. Q. Shi, D. J. Gardner, and J. Z. Wang, “Surface properties of polymer automobile fluff particles characterized by inverse gas chromatography and contact angle analysis,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Wood Fiber-Plastics Composites, pp. 245–256, Forest Products Society, Madison, Wis, USA, May 1997.
- S. Y. Lee, Transcrystallization behavior and interfacial strength of a semicrystalline polymer combined with thermomechanical pulp (TMP) fiber, M.S. thesis, Moscow, Idaho, USA, University of Idaho, 2002.
- C. G. Ma, M. Z. Rong, M. Q. Zhang, and K. Friedrich, “Irradiation-induced surface graft polymerization onto calcium carbonate nanoparticles and its toughening effects on polypropylene composites,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 529–538, 2005.
- S. Lee, S. Q. Shi, and M. H. Barnes, “Multifunctional nanoparticles at the hydrophilic and hydrophobic interface,” in Proceedings of the Advanced Biomass Science and Technology for Bio-Based Products, pp. 173–181, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Beijing, China, May 2007.
- J. Shi, S. Q. Shi, H. M. Barnes, M. Horstemeyer, J. Wang, and E. B .M. Hassan, “Kenaf bast fibers—part I: hermetical alkali digestion,” International Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 2011, Article ID 212047, 8 pages, 2011.
- C. Clemons and A. R. Sanadi, “Instrumented impact testing of kenaf fiber reinforced polypropylene composites: effects of temperature and composition,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 26, no. 15, pp. 1587–1602, 2007.
- S. Y. Lee, T. F. Shupe, L. H. Groom, and C. Y. Hse, “Heterogeneous nucleation of a semicrystalline polymer on fiber surfaces,” in Recent Developments in the Particleboard, Fiberboard, and Molded Wood Products Industry, T. E. Shupe, Ed., pp. 99–105, Forest Products Society, 2006.
- J. M. Park, T. Q. Son, J. G. Jung, and B. S. Hwang, “Interfacial evaluation of single Ramie and Kenaf fiber/epoxy resin composites using micromechanical test and nondestructive acoustic emission,” Composite Interfaces, vol. 13, no. 2-3, pp. 105–129, 2006.
- J. Kuusipalo, M. Kaunisto, A. Laine, and M. Kellomäki, “Chitosan as a coating additive in paper and paperboard,” Tappi Journal, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 17–21, 2005.
- S. Y. Lee, Some factors affecting the interfacial interaction at thermomechanical fiber and polypropylene interphase, Ph.D. Dissertation, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La, USA, 2006.
- S. Q. Shi, S. Lee, and J. Shi, “Lamination process for chemical retted kenaf fiber/thermoplastic polymer composites,” in Proceedings of the 23rd Annual American Society for Composites Technical Conference, Memphis. Tenn, USA, September 2008.
- S. Q. Shi, S. Lee, and M. Horstemeyer, “Natural fiber retting and inorganic nanoparticle impregnation treatment for natural fiber/polymer composites,” in Proceedings of the American Society for Composites, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash, USA, September 2007.
- R. M. Rowell, R. Jacobson, and D. Caulfield, “Properties of kenaf/polypropylene composites,” in Kenaf Properties, Processing and Products, chapter 32, pp. 381–392, Mississippi State University, Ag & Bio Engineering, Starkville, Miss, USA, 1999.