- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 841812, 7 pages
Mechanical and Thermal Behaviour of Ecofriendly Composites Reinforced by Kenaf and Caroà Fibers
1Institute of Chemistry and Technology of Polymers, National Research Council of Italy, Via Campi Flegrei, 34 80078 Pozzuoli (Na), Italy
2Department of Materials and Production Engineering, University of Napoli “Federico II”, p.le Tecchio, 80 80125 Napoli, Italy
Received 31 March 2011; Accepted 12 May 2011
Academic Editor: Susheel Kalia
Copyright © 2011 P. Persico et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. K. Mohanty, M. Misra, and L. T. Drzal, “Sustainable bio-composites from renewable resources: opportunities and challenges in the green materials world,” Journal of Polymers and the Environment, vol. 10, no. 1-2, pp. 19–26, 2002.
- V. K. Mathur, “Composite materials from local resources,” Construction and Building Materials, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 470–477, 2006.
- H. Y. Cheung, M. P. Ho, K. T. Lau, F. Cardona, and D. Hui, “Natural fibre-reinforced composites for bioengineering and environmental engineering applications,” Composites Part B, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 655–663, 2009.
- S. Chabba and A. N. Netravali, “‘Green’ composites part 1: characterization of flax fabric and glutaraldehyde modified soy protein concentrate composites,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 40, no. 23, pp. 6263–6273, 2005.
- S. Chabba and A. N. Netravali, “‘Green’ composites part 2: characterization of flax yarn and glutaraldehyde/poly(vinyl alcohol) modified soy protein concentrate composites,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 40, no. 23, pp. 6275–6282, 2005.
- S. Chabba, G. F. Matthews, and A. N. Netravali, “‘Green’ composites using cross-linked soy flour and flax yarns,” Green Chemistry, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 576–581, 2005.
- P. Lodha and A. N. Netravali, “Characterization of phytagel® modified soy protein isolate resin and unidirectional flax yarn reinforced “Green” composites,” Polymer Composites, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 647–659, 2005.
- A. K. Mohanty, P. Tummala, W. Liu, M. Misra, P. V. Mulukutla, and L. T. Drzal, “Injection molded biocomposites from soy protein based bioplastic and short industrial hemp fiber,” Journal of Polymers and the Environment, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 279–285, 2005.
- S. Philip, T. Keshavarz, and I. Roy, “Polyhydroxyalkanoates: biodegradable polymers with a range of applications,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 233–247, 2007.
- L. Yu, K. Dean, and L. Li, “Polymer blends and composites from renewable resources,” Progress in Polymer Science (Oxford), vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 576–602, 2006.
- R. A. Shanks, A. Hodzic, and S. Wong, “Thermoplastic biopolyester natural fiber composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 2114–2121, 2004.
- M. Shibata, S. Oyamada, S. I. Kobayashi, and D. Yaginuma, “Mechanical properties and biodegradability of green composites based on biodegradable polyesters and lyocell fabric,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 3857–3863, 2004.
- D. G. Silveira, F. Vidigal Duarte Souza, C. R. Pelacani, A. Silva Souza, C. A. Silva Ledo, and J. R. Ferreira de Santana, “Micropropagation and in vitro conservation of Neoglaziovia variegata (Arr. Cam.) mez, a fiber producing bromeliad from Brazil,” Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 923–932, 2009.
- A. M. Mohd Edeerozey, H. M. Akil, A. B. Azhar, and M. I. Z. Ariffin, “Chemical modification of kenaf fibers,” Materials Letters, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 2023–2025, 2007.
- M. Z. Rong, M. Q. Zhang, Y. Liu, G. C. Yang, and H. M. Zeng, “The effect of fiber treatment on the mechanical properties of unidirectional sisal-reinforced epoxy composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 1437–1447, 2001.
- G. Bogoeva-Gaceva, M. Avella, M. Malinconico et al., “Natural fiber eco-composites,” Polymer Composites, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 98–107, 2007.
- J. E. G. van Dam, “Environmental benefits of natural fibre production and use,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on Natural Fibres, 2009.
- V. V. Tyagi and D. Buddhi, “PCM thermal storage in buildings: a state of art,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 1146–1166, 2007.
- A. Izzo Renzi, C. Carfagna, and P. Persico, “Thermoregulated natural leather using phase change materials: an example of bioinspiration,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 30, no. 11-12, pp. 1369–1376, 2010.
- H. J. Kim and D. W. Seo, “Effect of water absorption fatigue on mechanical properties of sisal textile-reinforced composites,” International Journal of Fatigue, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1307–1314, 2006.
- R. Bhardwaj, A. K. Mohanty, L. T. Drzal, F. Pourboghrat, and M. Misra, “Renewable resource-based green composites from recycled cellulose fiber and poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) bioplastic,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 2044–2051, 2006.
- P. Chen and L. Zhang, “New evidences of glass transitions and microstructures of soy protein plasticized with glycerol,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 237–245, 2005.
- P. Tummala, W. Liu, L. T. Drzal, A. K. Mohanty, and M. Misra, “Influence of plasticizers on thermal and mechanical properties and morphology of soy-based bioplastics,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 45, no. 22, pp. 7491–7496, 2006.
- S. Singh and A. K. Mohanty, “Wood fiber reinforced bacterial bioplastic composites: fabrication and performance evaluation,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 67, no. 9, pp. 1753–1763, 2007.
- G. Canché-Escamilla, J. Rodriguez-Laviada, J. I. Cauich-Cupul, E. Mendizábal, J. E. Puig, and P. J. Herrera-Franco, “Flexural, impact and compressive properties of a rigid-thermoplastic matrix/cellulose fiber reinforced composites,” Composites—Part A, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 539–549, 2002.
- A. Keller, “Compounding and mechanical properties of biodegradable hemp fibre composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1307–1316, 2003.