- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 964193, 10 pages
A Study of Nanoclay Reinforcement of Biocomposites Made by Liquid Composite Molding
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chair on Composites of High Performance (CCHP), Research Centre on Plastics and Composites (CREPEC), Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal, P.O. Box 6079, Station Centre-Ville, Montreal, QC, Canada H3C 3A7
2Centre for Advanced Composite Materials, Department of Engineering, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Received 1 March 2011; Accepted 3 May 2011
Academic Editor: Susheel Kalia
Copyright © 2011 Farida Bensadoun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Abend and G. Lagaly, “Sol-gel transitions of sodium montmorillonite dispersions,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 16, no. 3-4, pp. 201–227, 2000.
- W.-F. Lee and Y.-T. Fu, “Effect of montmorillonite on the swelling behavior and drug-release behavior of nanocomposite hydrogels,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 89, no. 13, pp. 3652–3660, 2003.
- S. Sinha Ray and M. Okamoto, “Polymer/layered silicate nanocomposites: a review from preparation to processing,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1539–1641, 2003.
- F. Gao, “Clay/polymer composites: the story,” Materials Today, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 50–55, 2004.
- L. A. Utracki, M. Sepehr, and E. Boccaleri, “Synthetic, layered nanoparticles for polymeric nanocomposites (PNCs),” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–37, 2007.
- F. Laoutid, L. Bonnaud, M. Alexandre, J. M. Lopez-Cuesta, and P. Dubois, “New prospects in flame retardant polymer materials: from fundamentals to nanocomposites,” Materials Science and Engineering R, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 100–125, 2009.
- D. Dean, A. M. Obore, S. Richmond, and E. Nyairo, “Multiscale fiber-reinforced nanocomposites: synthesis, processing and properties,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 66, no. 13, pp. 2135–2142, 2006.
- J. Denault and B. Labrecque, “Groupe technologique sur les nanocomposites polymères—PNC-Tech,” 2002, http://ww2.imi.nrc.ca/francais/PDF/factsheets/pnc-tech.pdf.
- S. Nazare, B. K. Kandola, and A. R. Horrocks, “Flame-retardant unsaturated polyester resin incorporating nanoclays,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 294–303, 2006.
- M. Bartholmai and B. Schartel, “Layered silicate polymer nanocomposites: new approach or illusion for fire retardancy? Investigations of the potentials and the tasks using a model system,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 15, pp. 355–364, 2004.
- M. Alexandre and P. Dubois, “Polymer-layered silicate nanocomposites: preparation, properties and uses of a new class of materials,” Materials Science and Engineering R, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1–63, 2000.
- M. Haq, R. Burgueno, A. K. Mohanty, and M. Misra, “Processing techniques for bio-based unsaturated-polyester/clay nanocomposites: tensile properties, efficiency, and limits,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 394–403, 2009.
- T. J. Pinnavaia and G. W. Beall, Polymer—8 Clay Nanocomposites, vol. 51, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2000.
- D. Burgentzle, J. Duchet, J. F. Gerard, A. Jupin, and B. Fillon, “Solvent-based nanocomposite coatings: I. Dispersion of organophilic montmorillonite in organic solvents,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 278, no. 1, pp. 26–39, 2004.
- I. Ortega, “Fabrication et caracterisation de nanocomposites a matrice epoxy,” , M.S. dissertation, Mechnanical Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique, Montreal, Canda, 2008.
- F. Hussain, D. Dean, A. Haque, and A. M. Shamsuzzoha, “S2 glass/vinylester polymer nanocomposites: manufacturing, structures, thermal and mechanical properties,” Journal of Advanced Materials, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 16–27, 2005.
- L. Y. Lin, J. H. Lee, C. E. Hong, G. H. Yoo, and S. G. Advani, “Preparation and characterization of layered silicate/glass fiber/epoxy hybrid nanocomposites via vacuum-assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM),” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 66, no. 13, pp. 2116–2125, 2006.
- H. Miyagawa, A. K. Mohanty, R. Burgueno, L. T. Drzal, and M. Misra, “Novel biobased resins from blends of functionalized soybean oil and unsaturated polyester resin,” Journal of Polymer Science Part B, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 698–704, 2007.
- M. Haq, R. Burgueno, A. K. Mohanty, and M. Misra, “Bio-based unsaturated polyester/layered silicate nanocomposites: Characterization and thermo-physical properties,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 540–547, 2009.
- C. Weinong, S. Bo, L. Zengshe, and S. Erhan, “Compressive properties of epoxidized soybean oil/clay nanocomposites,” International Journal of Plasticity, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1549–1568, 2006.
- Z. Liu, S. Z. Erhan, and J. Xu, “Preparation, characterization and mechanical properties of epoxidized soybean oil/clay nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 23, pp. 10119–10127, 2005.
- H. Uyama, M. Kuwabara, T. Tsujimoto, M. Nakano, A. Usuki, and S. Kobayashi, “Green nanocomposites from renewable resources: plant oil-clay hybrid materials,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 15, no. 13, pp. 2492–2494, 2003.
- R. Kozowski and M. Wadyka-Przybylak, “Flammability and fire resistance of composites reinforced by natural fibers,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 446–453, 2008.
- N. R. C. o. Canada, “From fiber glass to biofibres,” 2010, http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/dimensions/issue3/flax.html.
- P. J. Roe and M. P. Ansell, “Jute-reinforced polyester composites,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 4015–4020, 1985.
- M. K. Sridhar, G. Basavarappa, S. G. Kasturi, and N. Balasubramanian, “Mechanical properties of jute-polyester composites,” Indian Journal of Technology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 213–215, 1984.
- A. N. Shah and S. C. Lakkad, “Mechanical properties of jute-reinforced plastics,” Fibre Science and Technology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 1981.
- E. T. N. Bisanda and M. P. Ansell, “The effect of silane treatment on the mechanical and physical properties of sisal-epoxy composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 165–178, 1991.
- S. V. Prasad, C. Pavithran, and P. K. Rohatgi, “Alkali treatment of coir fibres for coir-polyester composites,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 1443–1454, 1983.
- W. D. Brouwer, “Natural fibre composites in structural components: alternative applications for Sisal?” 2010, http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/y1873e/y1873e0a.htm.
- S. Horold, “Phosphorus flame retardants in thermoset resins,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 427–431, 1999.
- S. V. Levchik, “Halogen-free approach in fire retardancy of thermoplastic polyesters,” Recent Advances in Flame Retardancy of Polymers, vol. 13, pp. 296–314, 2002.
- A. H. B. Kandola and D. Price, “Nanocomposites,” in Fire Retardant Materials, chapter 6, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, UK, 2001.
- J. W. Gilman, C. L. Jackson, A. B. Morgan et al., “Flammability properties of polymer - Layered-silicate nanocomposites. Polypropylene and polystyrene nanocomposites,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1866–1873, 2000.
- J. W. Gilman, “Flammability and thermal stability studies of polymer layered-silicate (clay) nanocomposites,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 15, no. 1-2, pp. 31–49, 1999.
- J. Gilman, T. Kashiwagi, A. Morgan, et al., Flammability of polymer clay nanocomposites consortium: year one annual report, 2000.
- C. Wilkie, “Recent advanced in fire retardancy of polymerclay nanocomposite,” in Recent Advances in Flame Retardancy of Polymers, vol. 13, pp. 206–217, Business Communications Company, Norwalk, Calif, USA, 2002.
- Q. Govignon, S. Bickerton, J. Morris, and P. A. Kelly, “Full field monitoring of the resin flow and laminate properties during the resin infusion process,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1412–1426, 2008.
- J. S. Leclerc and E. Ruiz, “Porosity reduction using optimized flow velocity in Resin Transfer Molding,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 1859–1868, 2008.
- R. Wagener and T. J. G. Reisinger, “A rheological method to compare the degree of exfoliation of nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 24, pp. 7513–7518, 2003.
- R. Krishnamoorti, J. Ren, and A. S. Silva, “Shear response of layered silicate nanocomposites,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 114, no. 11, pp. 4968–4973, 2001.
- J. C. Pierre, C. R. D. K. Daniel, and P. C. Raj, Rheology of Polymeric Systems: Principles and Applications, Hanser Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 1997.
- T. Phillips, “The physics of whipped cream,” 2008, http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/25apr_cvx2.
- F. A. Morrison, Understanding Rheology, Oxford University Press, Nwe York, NY, USA, 2001.
- J. D. G. Durán, M. M. Ramos-Tejada, F. J. Arroyo, and F. González-Caballero, “Rheological and electrokinetic properties of sodium montmorillonite suspensions: I. Rheological properties and interparticle energy of interaction,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 229, pp. 107–117, 2000.