- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 302029, 11 pages
Food Packaging Permeability Behaviour: A Report
Department of Industrial and Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Faculty, University of Catania, Viale A. Doria 6, 95125 Catania, Italy
Received 25 November 2011; Accepted 16 February 2012
Academic Editor: Sergey Lapshin
Copyright © 2012 Valentina Siracusa. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Mrkić, K. Galić, M. Ivanković, S. Hamin, and N. Ciković, “Gas transport and thermal characterization of mono- and Di-polyethylene films used for food packaging,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 1590–1599, 2006.
- J. Galić, K. Galić, M. Kurtanjek, and N. Ciković, “Gas permeability and DSC characteristics of polymers used in food packaging,” Polymer Testing, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 49–57, 2000.
- M. J. Galotto, P. A. Ulloa, D. Hernández, F. Fernández-Martín, R. Gavara, and A. Guarda, “Mechanical and thermal behaviour of flexible food packaging polymeric films materials under high pressure/temperature treatments,” Packaging Technology and Science, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 297–308, 2008.
- F. Johansson and A. Leufvén, “Food packaging polymer as barrier against aroma vapour and oxygen in fat or humid environments,” in Food and Packaging Materials: Chemical Interactions, P. Ackermann, M. Tagerstand, and T. Ohesson, Eds., The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambrige, UK, 1995.
- P. Calà and A. Sciullo, Materiali Destinati al Contatto con gli Alimenti, Chirotti, Pinerolo. Italy, 2006.
- AIM—Macromolecole Scienza e Tecnologia, vol. 1-2, Pacini, Pisa, Italy, 2003.
- D. S. Lee, K. L. Yam, and L. Piergiovanni, Food Packaging Science and Technology, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 2008.
- Y. Mi, S. Zhou, and S. A. Stern, “Representation of gas solubility in glassy polymers by a concentration-temperature superposition principle,” Macromolecules, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 2361–2367, 1991.
- L. E. Gerlowski, “Water transport through polymers: requirements and designs in food packaging,” in American Chemical Society, Polymer Preprints, Division of Polymer Chemistry, vol. 30, pp. 15–16, Dallas, Tex, USA, April 1989.
- A. S. Pauly, “Permeability and diffusion data,” in Polymer Handbook, J. Brandrup, E. H. Immergut, and E. A. Grulke, Eds., John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 1999.
- P. Kofinas, R. E. Cohen, and A. F. Halasa, “Gas permeability of polyethylene/poly(ethylene-propylene) semicrystalline diblock copolymers,” Polymer, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 1229–1235, 1994.
- G. L. Robertson, Food Packaging Principles and Practice, Taylor & Francis, CRC Press, 2006.
- A. Grüniger and P. R. Von Rohr, “Influence of defects in SiOx thin films on their barrier properties,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 459, no. 1-2, pp. 308–312, 2004.
- K. Galić and N. Ciković, “The effect of liquid absorption on gas barrier properties of triplex film coated with silicon oxide,” Food Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 247–251, 2003.
- A. Exama, J. Arul, R. W. Lencki, L. Z. Lee, and C. Toupin, “Suitability of plastic film for modified atmosphere packaging of fruit and vegetables,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1365–1370, 1993.
- M. B. Huglin and M. B. Zakaria, “Commenton expressing the permeability of polymers to gases,” Angewandte Makromolekulare Chemie, vol. 117, pp. 1–3, 1983.
- ASTM D1434: Standard Test Method for Determining Gas Permeability Characteristics of Plastic Film and Sheeting.
- Y. Germain, “Conception de films polymer à permeabilité contrôlée pour l’embalage alimentaire,” Industriée Alimentaire et Agricules, pp. 137–140, 1997.
- G. M. Russo, G. P. Simon, and L. Incarnato, “Correlation between rheological, mechanical, and barrier properties in new copolyamide-based nanocomposite films,” Macromolecules, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 3855–3864, 2006.
- V. Siracusa, P. Rocculi, S. Romani, and M. D. Rosa, “Biodegradable polymers for food packaging: a review,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 634–643, 2008.
- D. W. Van Krevelen, Polymer Properties, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1990.
- F. Guisheng, L. Incarnato, L. Di Maio, and D. Acierno, “Discussion about the use of relative values of permeabilities between two gases for high molecular weight polymers,” Polymer, vol. 36, no. 22, pp. 4345–4346, 1995.
- K. Galić and N. Ciković, “Permeability characterisation of solvent treated polymer materials,” Polymer Testing, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 599–606, 2001.
- P. Rocculi, S. Romani, and M. D. Rosa, “Effect of MAP with argon and nitrous oxide on quality maintenance of minimally processed kiwifruit,” Postharvest Biology and Technology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 319–328, 2005.
- P. Rocculi, E. Cocci, S. Romani, G. Sacchetti, and M. D. Rosa, “Effect of 1-MCP treatment and N2O MAP on physiological and quality changes of fresh-cut pineapple,” Postharvest Biology and Technology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 371–377, 2009.
- S. Mrkić, K. Galić, and M. Ivanković, “Effect of temperature and mechanical stress on barrier properties of polymeric films used for food packaging,” Journal of Plastic Film and Sheeting, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 239–256, 2007.
- A. A. Olkhov, S. V. Vlasov, A. L. Iordanskii, G. E. Zaikov, and V. M. M. Lobo, “Water transport, structure features and mechanical behavior of biodegradable PHB/PVA blends,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 1471–1476, 2003.
- D. H. Weinkauf and D. R. Paul, “The effects of structural order on barrier properties,” in Barrier Polymers and Structures, W. J. Koros, Ed., chapter 3, p. 60, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, USA, 1990.
- M. Cocca, M. L. D. Lorenzo, M. Malinconico, and V. Frezza, “Influence of crystal polymorphism on mechanical and barrier properties of poly(l-lactic acid),” European Polymer Journal, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1073–1080, 2011.
- S. Kanehashi, A. Kusakabe, S. Sato, and K. Nagai, “Analysis of permeability; solubility and diffusivity of carbon dioxide; oxygen; and nitrogen in crystalline and liquid crystalline polymers,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 365, no. 1-2, pp. 40–51, 2010.
- J. G. Kljusurić, “Changes in polymer foils used in food packaging tested by using differential scanning calorimetry,” Sādhanā, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 991–998.
- EEC, “Directive 85/572/EEC. Council Directive of 19 December 1985 laying down the list of simulants to be used for testing migration of constituents of plastics materials and articles intended to come into contact with foodstuffs (31.12.1985),” Official Journal of the European Communities, vol. L372, p. 14, 1985.
- J. P. De Leiris, “Water activity and permeability,” in Food Packaging and Preservation, M. Mathlouthi, Ed., pp. 213–233, Elsevier Applied Science, New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- C. E. Rogers, “Permeation of gases and vapours in polymers,” in Polymer Permeability, J. Comyn, Ed., p. 11, Elsevier Applied Science, London, UK, 1985.
- A. E. Woodward, J. M. Crissman, and J. A. Saver, “Investigations of the dynamic mechanical properties of same polyamides,” Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 44, no. 143, pp. 23–34, 1960.
- EEC, “Directive 90/128/EEC. Commision Directive of 23 February 1909 relating to plastics materials and articles intended to come into contact with foodstuff (13.12.1990),” Corrigendum Official Journal of the European Communities, vol. L349, p. 26, 1990.
- A. P. Roberts, B. M. Henry, A. P. Sutton et al., “Gas permeation in silicon-oxide/polymer (SiOx/PET) barrier films: role of the oxide lattice, nano-defects and macro-defects,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 208, no. 1-2, pp. 75–88, 2002.
- M. S. Hedenqvist and K. S. Johansson, “Barrier properties of SiOx-coated polymers: multi-layer modelling and effects of mechanical folding,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 172, no. 1, pp. 7–12, 2003.
- S. Plog, J. Schneider, M. Walker, A. Schulz, and U. Stroth, “Investigations of plasma polymerized SiOx barrier films for polymer food packaging,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 205, supplement 2, pp. S165–S170, 2011.
- U. Moosheimer and C. Bichler, “Plasma pretreatment of polymer films as a key issue for high barrier food packagings,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 116–119, pp. 812–819, 1999.
- G. Choudalakis and A. D. Gotsis, “Permeability of polymer/clay nanocomposites: a review,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 967–984, 2009.
- H. M. C. D. Azeredo, “Nanocomposites for food packaging applications,” Food Research International, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1240–1253, 2009.
- T. V. Duncan, “Applications of nanotechnology in food packaging and food safety: barrier materials, antimicrobials and sensors,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 363, no. 1, pp. 1–24, 2011.
- C. Silvestre, D. Duraccio, and S. Cimmino, “Food packaging based on polymer nanomaterials,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1766–1782, 2011.
- M. Avella, J. J. De Vlieger, M. E. Errico, S. Fischer, P. Vacca, and M. G. Volpe, “Biodegradable starch/clay nanocomposite films for food packaging applications,” Food Chemistry, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 467–474, 2005.
- E. Picard, E. Espuche, and R. Fulchiron, “Effect of an organo-modified montmorillonite on PLA crystallization and gas barrier properties,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 58–65, 2011.
- V. Bugatti, U. Costantino, G. Gorrasi, M. Nocchetti, L. Tammaro, and V. Vittoria, “Nano-hybrids incorporation into poly(ε-caprolactone) for multifunctional applications: mechanical and barrier properties,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 418–427, 2010.
- M. R. de Moura, F. A. Aouada, R. J. Avena-Bustillos, T. H. McHugh, J. M. Krochta, and L. H. C. Mattoso, “Improved barrier and mechanical properties of novel hydroxypropyl methylcellulose edible films with chitosan/tripolyphosphate nanoparticles,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 448–453, 2009.