- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 574878, 14 pages
Structure of Colloidal Flocs in relation to the Dynamic Properties of Unstable Suspension
Graduate School of Life and Environmental Science, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8572, Japan
Received 15 August 2011; Accepted 29 September 2011
Academic Editor: Eri Yoshida
Copyright © 2012 Yasuhisa Adachi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Adachi and S. Iwata, Eds., “Tsuchi no koroido genshou,” Gakkai-Shuppan Sentar, pp. 1–451, 2003 (Japanese).
- E. P. Odum, Basic Ecology, CBS College Publishing, 1988.
- K. A. Hunter and P. S. Liss, “The surface charge of suspended particles in estuarine and coastal waters,” Nature, vol. 282, no. 5741, pp. 823–825, 1979.
- L. M. Mosley, K. A. Hunter, and W. A. Ducker, “Forces between colloid particles in natural waters,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 37, no. 15, pp. 3303–3308, 2003.
- K. Aoki and Y. Adachi, “Flocculation mechanisms of colloidal particles with polyelectrolytes bridging vs. Charge neutralization,” Transactions of The Japanese Society of Irrigation, Drainage and Rural Engineering, vol. 245, pp. 65–71, 2006.
- M. J. Vold, “A numerical approach to the problem of sediment volume,” Journal of Colloid Science, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 168–174, 1959.
- M. J. Vold, “Computer simulation of floc formation in a colloidal suspension,” Journal of Colloid Science, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 684–695, 1963.
- D. N. Sutherland, “A theoretical model of floc structure,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 373–380, 1967.
- D. N. Sutherland and I. Goodarz-Nia, “Floc simulation: the effect of collision sequence,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 2071–2085, 1971.
- M. V. Smoluchowski, “Versuch einer mathematichen theorie der koagulations kinetik kollider losungen,” Zeitschrift fur Physikalische Chemie, vol. 92, pp. 129–168, 1917.
- N. Tambo and Y. Watanabe, “Physical characteristics of flocs - I. The floc density function and aluminium floc,” Water Research, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 409–419, 1979.
- Y. Adachi and S. Ooi, “Structure of a floc,” in Proceedings of the World Congress III of Chemical Engineering, vol. 3, pp. 156–159, 1986.
- Y. Adachi and S. Ooi, “Geometrical structure of a floc,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 374–384, 1990.
- P. Meakin and R. Jullien, “The effects of restructuring on the geometry of clusters formed by diffusion-limited, ballistic, and reaction-limited cluster-cluster aggregation,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 246–250, 1988.
- Y. Adachi and Y. Tanaka, “Settling velocity of an aluminium-kaolinite floc,” Water Research, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 449–454, 1997.
- R. C. Sonntag and W. B. Russel, “Structure and breakup of flocs subjected to fluid stresses. I. Shear experiments,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 399–413, 1986.
- M. Kobayashi, “Breakup of fractal floes in a turbulent flow,” Langmuir, vol. 15, no. 13, pp. 4351–4356, 1999.
- Y. Adachi, M. Kobayashi, and Y. Fukuhara, “Break-up strength of floes analyzed using orifice converging flow,” Nihon Reoroji Gakkaishi, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 69–72, 2007 (Japanese).
- M. Kobayashi, Y. Adachi, and S. Ooi, “On the steady shear viscosity of coagulated suspensions,” Nihon Reoroji Gakkaishi, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 143–144, 2000.
- M. Kobayashi, S. Ooi, and Y. Adachi, “On the yield stress of sheared coagulated suspensions,” Annual Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, vol. 46, pp. 637–640, 2002.
- M. Y. Lin, H. M. Lindsay, D. A. Weitz, R. C. Ball, R. Klein, and P. Meakin, “Universality in colloid aggregation,” Nature, vol. 339, no. 6223, pp. 360–362, 1989.
- T. Fukasawa and Y. Adachi, “Direct observation on the Brownian coagulation of PSL particles through optical microscope in the regime near critical coagulation concentration (CCC),” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 344, no. 2, pp. 343–347, 2010.
- Y. Kusaka, T. Fukasawa, and Y. Adachi, “Cluster-cluster aggregation simulation in a concentrated suspension,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 363, no. 1, pp. 34–41, 2011.
- Y. Adachi, M. Kobayashi, and T. Yanagibashi, “Densification of small flocs formed in the mixing flow under the condition of rapid coagulation,” Transactions of the Japanese Society of Irrigation, Drainage and Reclamation Engineering, vol. 233, pp. 49–56, 2004.
- K. Higashitani and T. Kubota, “Pelleting flocculation of colloidal latex particles,” Powder Technology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 61–69, 1987.
- D. H. Napper, Polymeric Stabilization of Colloidal Dispersions, Academic Press, 1983.
- R. A. Ruehrwein and D. W. Ward, “Mechanism and clay aggregation by polyelectrolytes,” Soil Science, vol. 73, pp. 485–492, 1952.
- R. H. Smellie Jr. and V. K. La Mer, “Flocculation, subsidence and filtration of phosphate slimes. VI. A quantitative theory of filtration of flocculated suspensions,” Journal of Colloid Science, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 589–599, 1958.
- G. J. Fleer and J. Lyklema, “Polymer adsorption and its effect on the stability of hydrophobic colloids. II. The flocculation process as studied with the silver iodide-polyvinyl alcohol system,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1974.
- J. Gregory, “Rates of flocculation of latex particles by cationic polymers,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 448–456, 1973.
- K. Higashitani, T. Shibata, and H. Kage, “Formation of pellet flocs from kaoline suspension and their properties,” Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 152–157, 1987.
- Y. Adachi, M. A. Stuart, and R. Fokkink, “Kinetics of turbulent coagulation studied by means of end-over-end rotation,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 165, no. 2, pp. 310–317, 1994.
- P. G. Saffman and J. S. Turner, “On the collision of drops in turbulent clouds,” The Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 1, pp. 16–30, 1956.
- T. G. M. van de Ven and S. G. Mason, “The microrheology of colloidal dispersions VII. Orthokinetic doublet formation of spheres,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 255, no. 5, pp. 468–479, 1977.
- Y. Adachi, M. A. Stuart, and R. Fokkink, “Dynamic aspects of bridging flocculation studied using standardized mixing,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 167, no. 2, pp. 346–351, 1994.
- Y. Adachi, “Dynamic aspects of coagulation and flocculation,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 56, pp. 1–31, 1995.
- Y. Adachi and T. Matsumoto, “Dynamics of initial stage flocculation of polystyrene latex spheres with polyelectrolytes,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 229–236, 1996.
- T. Matsumoto and Y. Adachi, “Effect of ionic strength on the initial dynamics of flocculation of polystyrene latex with polyelectrolyte,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 204, no. 2, pp. 328–335, 1998.
- K. Aoki, Koubunshi denkaishitsu niyoru koroid ryushi no gyoshukatei ni kansuru kenkyu, Ph.D. thesis, University of Tsukuba, 2007.
- K. Aoki and Y. Adachi, “Kinetics of polyelectrolyte adsorption onto polystyrene latex particle studied using electrophoresis: effects of molecular weight and ionic strength,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 300, no. 1, pp. 69–77, 2006.
- Y. Adachi and K. Aoki, “Restructuring of small flocs of polystyrene latex with polyelectrolyte,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 342, no. 1–3, pp. 24–29, 2009.
- J. Wei, B. Gao, Q. Yue, Y. Wang, W. Li, and X. Zhu, “Comparison of coagulation behavior and floc structure characteristic of different polyferric-cationic polymer dual-coagulants in humic acid solution,” Water Research, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 724–732, 2009.
- T. Fukasawa and Y. Adachi, “Effect of floc structure on the rate of Brownian coagulation,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 304, no. 1, pp. 115–118, 2006.
- D. Sato, M. Kobayashi, and Y. Adachi, “Effect of floc structure on the rate of shear coagulation,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 272, no. 2, pp. 345–351, 2004.
- Y. Adachi, Y. Kusaka, and A. Kobayashi, “Transient behavior of adsorbing/adsorbed polyelectrolytes on the surface of colloidal particles studied by means of trajectory analysis of Brownian motion,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 376, pp. 9–13, 2011.
- H. Ohshima, Biophysical Chemistry of Biointerfaces, John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
- Y. Adachi and T. Wada, “Initial stage dynamics of bridging flocculation of polystyrene latex spheres with polyethylene oxide,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 229, no. 1, pp. 148–154, 2000.