- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 684278, 14 pages
Preparation of Ionic Silsesquioxanes with Regular Structures and Their Hybridization
1Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Kagoshima University, 1-21-40 Korimoto, Kagoshima 890-0065, Japan
2Functional Geomaterials Group, National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), 1-1 Namiki, Tsukuba 305-0044, Japan
Received 19 June 2012; Accepted 22 August 2012
Academic Editor: Maki Itoh
Copyright © 2012 Yoshiro Kaneko et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. H. Baney, M. Itoh, A. Sakakibara, and T. Suzuki, “Silsesquioxanes,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 1409–1430, 1995.
- D. A. Loy, B. M. Baugher, C. R. Baugher, D. A. Schneider, and K. Rahimian, “Substituent effects on the sol-gel chemistry of organotrialkoxysilanes,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 3624–3632, 2000.
- J. Choi, J. Harcup, A. F. Yee, Q. Zhu, and R. M. Laine, “Organic/inorganic hybrid composites from cubic silsesquioxanes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 123, no. 46, pp. 11420–11430, 2001.
- K. M. Kim and Y. Chujo, “Organic-inorganic hybrid gels having functionalized silsesquioxanes,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 13, pp. 1384–1391, 2003.
- X. Yu, S. Zhong, X. Li et al., “A giant surfactant of polystyrene-(carboxylic acid-functionalized polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane) amphiphile with highly stretched polystyrene tails in micellar assemblies,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 132, no. 47, pp. 16741–16744, 2010.
- F. Wang, X. Lu, and C. He, “Some recent developments of polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS)-based polymeric materials,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 2775–2782, 2011.
- F. J. Feher and K. D. Wyndham, “Amine and ester-substituted silsesquioxanes: synthesis, characterization and use as a core for starburst dendrimers,” Chemical Communications, no. 3, pp. 323–324, 1998.
- R. M. Laine, C. Zhang, A. Sellinger, and L. Viculis, “Polyfunctional cubic silsesquioxanes as building blocks for organic/inorganic hybrids,” Applied Organometallic Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 10-11, pp. 715–723, 1998.
- Z. Zhang, G. Liang, and T. Lu, “Synthesis and characterization of cage octa(aminopropylsilsesquioxane),” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 2608–2614, 2007.
- D. B. Cordes, P. D. Lickiss, and F. Rataboul, “Recent developments in the chemistry of cubic polyhedral oligosilsesquioxanes,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 2081–2173, 2010.
- K. Tanaka, F. Ishiguro, and Y. Chujo, “POSS ionic liquid,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 132, no. 50, pp. 17649–17651, 2010.
- K. Tanaka and Y. Chujo, “Advanced functional materials based on polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS),” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 1733–1746, 2012.
- J. F. Brown Jr., L. H. Vogt Jr., and P. I. Prescott, “Double chain polymers of phenylsilsesquioxane,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 82, no. 23, pp. 6194–6195, 1960.
- J. F. Brown Jr., L. H. Vogt Jr., and P. I. Prescott, “Preparation and characterization of the lower equilibrated phenylsilsesquioxanes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 1120–1125, 1964.
- M. Unno, S. Chang, and H. Matsumoto, “cis-trans-cis-tetrabromotetramethylcyclotetrasiloxane: a versatile precursor of ladder silsesquioxanes,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 1105–1109, 2005.
- X. Zhang, P. Xie, Z. Shen et al., “Confined synthesis of a cis-isotactic ladder polysilsesquioxane by using a π-stacking and h-bonding superstructure,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition, vol. 45, no. 19, pp. 3112–3116, 2006.
- H. Seki, T. Kajiwara, Y. Abe, and T. Gunji, “Synthesis and structure of ladder polymethylsilsesquioxanes from sila-functionalized cyclotetrasiloxanes,” Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, vol. 695, no. 9, pp. 1363–1369, 2010.
- Y. Abe and T. Gunji, “Oligo- and polysiloxanes,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 149–182, 2004.
- M. Unno, A. Suto, and H. Matsumoto, “Pentacyclic laddersiloxane,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 8, pp. 1574–1575, 2002.
- A. N. Parikh, M. A. Schivley, E. Koo et al., “n-Alkylsiloxanes: from single monolayers to layered crystals. The formation of crystalline polymers from the hydrolysis of n-octadecyltrichlorosilane,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 119, no. 13, pp. 3135–3143, 1997.
- A. Shimojima, Y. Sugahara, and K. Kuroda, “Inorganic-organic layered materials derived via the hydrolysis and polycondensation of trialkoxy(alkyl)silanes,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 70, no. 11, pp. 2847–2853, 1997.
- S. Inagaki, S. Guan, T. Ohsuna, and O. Terasaki, “An ordered mesoporous organosilica hybrid material with a crystal-like wall structure,” Nature, vol. 416, no. 6878, pp. 304–307, 2002.
- Y. Kaneko, N. Iyi, K. Kurashima, T. Matsumoto, T. Fujita, and K. Kitamura, “Hexagonal-structured polysiloxane material prepared by sol-gel reaction of aminoalkyltrialkoxysilane without using surfactants,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 16, no. 18, pp. 3417–3423, 2004.
- Y. Kaneko, N. Iyi, T. Matsumoto, and K. Kitamura, “Synthesis of rodlike polysiloxane with hexagonal phase by sol-gel reaction of organotrialkoxysilane monomer containing two amino groups,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1828–1833, 2005.
- Y. Kaneko and N. Iyi, “Sol-gel synthesis of rodlike polysilsesquioxanes forming regular higher-ordered nanostructure,” Zeitschrift für Kristallographie, vol. 222, no. 11, pp. 656–662, 2007.
- Y. Kaneko and N. Iyi, “Sol-gel synthesis of water-soluble polysilsesquloxanes with regular structures,” Kobunshi Ronbunshu, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 280–287, 2010.
- E. S. Park, H. W. Ro, C. V. Nguyen, R. L. Jaffe, and D. Y. Yoon, “Infrared spectroscopy study of microstructures of poly(silsesquioxane)s,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1548–1554, 2008.
- Y. Kaneko and N. Iyi, “Sol-gel synthesis of ladder polysilsesquioxanes forming chiral conformations and hexagonal stacking structures,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 38, pp. 7106–7111, 2009.
- Y. Kaneko, H. Toyodome, and H. Sato, “Preparation of chiral ladder-like polysilsesquioxanes and their chiral induction to anionic dye compound,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 41, pp. 16638–16641, 2011.
- H. Zhao, F. Sanda, and T. Masuda, “Transformation of helical sense of poly(N-propargylamides) controlled by competition between structurally different enantiomeric amino acids,” Macromolecules, vol. 37, no. 24, pp. 8888–8892, 2004.
- D. Franke, M. Vos, M. Antonietti, N. A. J. M. Sommerdijk, and C. F. J. Faul, “Induced supramolecular chirality in nanostructured materials: ionic self-assembly of perylene-chiral surfactant complexes,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1839–1847, 2006.
- M. Uchimura, Y. Watanabe, F. Araoka, J. Watanabe, H. Takezoe, and G. I. Konishi, “Development of laser dyes to realize low threshold in dye-doped cholesteric liquid crystal lasers,” Advanced Materials, vol. 22, no. 40, pp. 4473–4478, 2010.
- K. Kano, H. Matsumoto, Y. Yoshimura, and S. Hashimoto, “Binding sites of pyrene and related compounds and chiral excimer formation in the cavities of cyclodextrins and branched cyclodextrins,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 204–209, 1988.
- H. Onouchi, T. Miyagawa, K. Morino, and E. Yashima, “Assisted formation of chiral porphyrin homoaggregates by an induced helical poly(phenylacetylene) template and their chiral memory,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition, vol. 45, no. 15, pp. 2381–2384, 2006.
- M. Ikeda, Y. Furusho, K. Okoshi et al., “A luminescent poly(phenylenevinylene)-amylose composite with supramolecular liquid crystallinity,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition, vol. 45, no. 39, pp. 6491–6495, 2006.
- C. Li, M. Numata, A. H. Bae, K. Sakurai, and S. Shinkai, “Self-assembly of supramolecular chiral insulated molecular wire,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 13, pp. 4548–4549, 2005.
- Y. Kaneko, M. Shoiriki, and T. Mizumo, “Preparation of cage-like octa(3-aminopropyl)silsesquioxane trifluoromethanesulfonate in higher yield with a shorter reaction time,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 29, pp. 14475–14478, 2012.
- A. Usuki, Y. Kojima, M. Kawasumi et al., “Synthesis of nylon 6-clay hybrid,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1179–1184, 1993.
- Y. Chujo, “Organic-inorganic hybrid materials,” Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 806–811, 1996.
- Y. Kaneko, N. Iyi, T. Matsumoto, and K. Kitamura, “Preparation of higher-ordered inorganic-organic nanocomposite composed of rodlike cationic polysiloxane and polyacrylate,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 15, pp. 1572–1575, 2005.
- K. Ohtsuka, “Preparation and properties of two-dimensional microporous pillared interlayered solids,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 2039–2050, 1997.
- J. T. Kloprogge, “Synthesis of smectites and porous pillared clay catalysts: a review,” Journal of Porous Materials, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 5–41, 1998.
- Z. Ding, J. T. Kloprogge, R. L. Frost, G. Q. Lu, and H. Y. Zhu, “Porous clays and pillared clays-based catalysts. part 2: a review of the catalytic and molecular sieve applications,” Journal of Porous Materials, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 273–293, 2001.
- M. Ogawa, M. Takahashi, C. Kato, and K. Kuroda, “Oriented microporous film of tetramethylammonium pillared saponite,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 519–523, 1994.
- M. Pichowicz and R. Mokaya, “Stability of Pillared Clays: effect of compaction on the physicochemical properties of al-pillared clays,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 263–269, 2004.
- S. Yamanaka, Y. Inoue, M. Hattori, F. Okumura, and M. Yoshikawa, “Preparation and properties of clays pillared with SiO2–TiO2 sol particles,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 2494–2500, 1992.
- T. J. Pinnavaia and G. W. Beall, Polymer-Clay Nanocomposites, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK, 2000.
- Y. Kaneko, N. Iyi, T. Matsumoto, and K. Kitamura, “Preparation of a clay pillared with rodlike cationic polysiloxane,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1486–1487, 2004.