- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Polymer Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 256161, 12 pages
Controlled Morphology and Mechanical Characterisation of Electrospun Cellulose Acetate Fibre Webs
Nonwovens Research Group, Centre for Technical Textiles, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Received 25 January 2013; Revised 13 March 2013; Accepted 14 March 2013
Academic Editor: Wen-Fu Lee
Copyright © 2013 B. Ghorani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Idris, K. Y. Lee, and H. K. Hing, “Preparation of cellulose acetate dialysis membrane for separation of bovine serum albumin,” Journal of Technology, vol. 42, pp. 35–46, 2005.
- Z.-M. Huang, Y. Z. Zhang, M. Kotaki, and S. Ramakrishna, “A review on polymer nanofibers by electrospinning and their applications in nanocomposites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 15, pp. 2223–2253, 2003.
- G. Eda, J. Liu, and S. Shivkumar, “Solvent effects on jet evolution during electrospinning of semi-dilute polystyrene solutions,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1154–1167, 2007.
- C. Lu, P. Chen, J. Li, and Y. Zhang, “Computer simulation of electrospinning. Part I. Effect of solvent in electrospinning,” Polymer, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 915–921, 2006.
- L. Wannatong, A. Sirivat, and P. Supaphol, “Effects of solvents on electrospun polymeric fibers: preliminary study on polystyrene,” Polymer International, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 1851–1859, 2004.
- T. Uyar and F. Besenbacher, “Electrospinning of uniform polystyrene fibers: the effect of solvent conductivity,” Polymer, vol. 49, no. 24, pp. 5336–5343, 2008.
- T. Jarusuwannapoom, W. Hongrojjanawiwat, S. Jitjaicham et al., “Effect of solvents on electro-spinnability of polystyrene solutions and morphological appearance of resulting electrospun polystyrene fibers,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 409–421, 2005.
- Q. Yang, Z. Li, Y. Hong et al., “Influence of solvents on the formation of ultrathin uniform poly(vinyl pyrrolidone) nanofibers with electrospinning,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 42, no. 20, pp. 3721–3726, 2004.
- L. Van der Schueren, B. De Schoenmaker, B. Kalaoglu, and K. De Clerck, “An alternative solvent system for the steady state electrospinning of polycaprolactone,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1256–1263, 2011.
- W. K. Son, J. H. Youk, T. S. Lee, and W. H. Park, “Electrospinning of ultrafine cellulose acetate fibers: studies of a new solvent system and deacetylation of ultrafine cellulose acetate fibers,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 5–11, 2004.
- S. O. Han, J. H. Youk, K. D. Min, Y. O. Kang, and W. H. Park, “Electrospinning of cellulose acetate nanofibers using a mixed solvent of acetic acid/water: effects of solvent composition on the fiber diameter,” Materials Letters, vol. 62, no. 4-5, pp. 759–762, 2008.
- S. Tungprapa, T. Puangparn, M. Weerasombut et al., “Electrospun cellulose acetate fibers: effect of solvent system on morphology and fiber diameter,” Cellulose, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 563–575, 2007.
- Z. Ma, M. Kotaki, and S. Ramakrishna, “Electrospun cellulose nanofiber as affinity membrane,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 265, no. 1-2, pp. 115–123, 2005.
- D. Haas, S. Heinrich, and P. Greil, “Solvent control of cellulose acetate nanofibre felt structure produced by electrospinning,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1299–1306, 2010.
- H. Liu and Y.-L. Hsieh, “Ultrafine fibrous cellulose membranes from electrospinning of cellulose acetate,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 40, no. 18, pp. 2119–2129, 2002.
- J. F. Kadla and R. Korehei, “Effect of hydrophilic and hydrophobic interactions on the rheological behavior and microstructure of a ternary cellulose acetate system,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1074–1081, 2010.
- J. Burke, Ed., Solubility Parameters: Theory and Application, vol. 3 of The Book and Paper Group Annual, 1984.
- C. Hansen, Hansen Solubility Parameters: A User's Handbook, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 2007.
- M. Karimi, W. Albrecht, M. Heuchel et al., “Determination of water/polymer interaction parameter for membrane-forming systems by sorption measurement and a fitting technique,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 265, no. 1-2, pp. 1–12, 2005.
- A. Vetere, “A simple modification of the Flory-Huggins theory for polymers in non-polar or slightly polar solvents,” Fluid Phase Equilibria, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 21–35, 1987.
- B. A. Miller-Chou and J. L. Koenig, “A review of polymer dissolution,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1223–1270, 2003.
- N. Olaru and L. Olaru, “Electrospinning of cellulose acetate phthalate from different solvent systems,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1953–1957, 2010.
- M. W. Frey, “Electrospinning cellulose and cellulose derivatives,” Polymer Reviews, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 378–391, 2008.
- S. Koombhongse, W. Liu, and D. H. Reneker, “Flat polymer ribbons and other shapes by electrospinning,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 39, no. 21, pp. 2598–2606, 2001.
- A. Celebioglu and T. Uyar, “Electrospun porous cellulose acetate fibers from volatile solvent mixture,” Materials Letters, vol. 65, no. 14, pp. 2291–2294, 2011.
- C. Appaw, Rheology and microstructure of cellulose acetate in mixed solvent systems [Ph.D. thesis], North Carolina State University, USA, North Carolina, NC, USA, 2004.
- G. C. Rutledge, Y. Li, and S. Fridrikh, “Electrostatic spinning and properties of ultrafine fibers,” National Textile Center Annual Report, 2000.
- O. Suwantong, P. Opanasopit, U. Ruktanonchai, and P. Supaphol, “Electrospun cellulose acetate fiber mats containing curcumin and release characteristic of the herbal substance,” Polymer, vol. 48, no. 26, pp. 7546–7557, 2007.
- P. Goswami, R. S. Blackburn, H. M. El-Dessouky, J. Taylor, and P. White, “Effect of sodium hydroxide pre-treatment on the optical and structural properties of lyocell,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 455–465, 2009.
- G. Salihu, P. Goswami, and S. Russell, “Hybrid electrospun nonwovens from chitosan/cellulose acetate,” Cellulose, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 739–749, 2012.
- M. Dabral, L. F. Francis, and L. E. Scriven, “Drying process paths of ternary polymer solution coating,” AIChE Journal, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 25–37, 2002.