- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Rheumatology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 268569, 10 pages
Ankylosing Spondylitis Patients Commencing Biologic Therapy Have High Baseline Levels of Comorbidity: A Report from the Australian Rheumatology Association Database
1Monash Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Cabrini Institute, 183 Wattletree Road, Malvern, VIC 3144, Australia
2Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, VIC 3004, Australia
3Austin Spondylitis Clinic, Austin Health, Studley Road, Heidelberg, VIC 3084, Australia
4Centre of Clinical Research Excellence in Therapeutics, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, VIC 3800, Australia
5School of Physiotherapy, Curtin University of Technology, WA 6000, Australia
6Department of Rheumatology, St George Hospital, NSW 2217, Australia
7Department of Rheumatology, Royal North Shore Hospital, NSW 2065, Australia
8Institute of Bone and Joint Research, University of Sydney, NSW 2065, Australia
Received 13 April 2009; Accepted 28 May 2009
Academic Editor: Malcolm D. Smith
Copyright © 2009 John Oldroyd et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- British Society for Rheumatology, “BSR guideline for prescribing TNF-alpha blockers in adults with ankylosing spondylitis,” December 2005, http://www.rheumatology.org.uk.
- J. C. Davis, D. van der Heijde, M. Dougados, and J. M. Woolley, “Reductions in health-related quality of life in patients with ankylosing spondylitis and improvements with etanercept therapy,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 494–501, 2005.
- M. M. Ward, “Health-related quality of life in ankylosing spondylitis: a survey of 175 patients,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 247–255, 1999.
- K. Lehtinen, “Mortality and causes of death in 398 patients admitted to hospital with ankylosing spondylitis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 174–176, 1993.
- H. Dagfinrud, K. B. Hagen, and T. K. Kvien, “Physiotherapy interventions for ankylosing spondylitis,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD002822, 2008.
- M. Dougados, R. Caporal, P. Doury, et al., “A double blind crossover placebo controlled trial of ximoprofen in as.,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 1167–1169, 1989.
- M. Dougados, A. Gueguen, J.-P. Nakache, et al., “Ankylosing spondylitis: what is the optimum duration of a clinical study? A one year versus a 6 weeks non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug trial,” Rheumatology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 235–244, 1999.
- R. G. W. Lambert, D. Salonen, P. Rahman, et al., “Adalimumab significantly reduces both spinal and sacroiliac joint inflammation in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 4005–4014, 2007.
- J. Braun, J. Brandt, J. Listing, et al., “Treatment of active ankylosing spondylitis with infliximab: a randomised controlled multicentre trial,” The Lancet, vol. 359, no. 9313, pp. 1187–1193, 2002.
- J. D. Gorman, K. E. Sack, and J. C. Davis Jr., “Treatment of ankylosing spondylitis by inhibition of tumor necrosis factor ,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 18, pp. 1349–1356, 2002.
- D. van der Heijde, A. Kivitz, M. H. Schiff, et al., “Efficacy and safety of adalimumab in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 2136–2146, 2006.
- J. Zochling, D. van der Heijde, M. Dougados, and J. Braun, “Current evidence for the management of ankylosing spondylitis: a systematic literature review for the ASAS/EULAR management recommendations in ankylosing spondylitis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 423–432, 2006.
- J. Brandt, A. Khariouzov, J. Listing, et al., “Six-month results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of etanercept treatment in patients with active ankylosing spondylitis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1667–1675, 2003.
- J. C. Davis Jr., D. van der Heijde, J. Braun, et al., “Recombinant human tumor necrosis factor receptor (etanercept) for treating ankylosing spondylitis: a randomised, controlled trial,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 3230–3236, 2003.
- D. van der Heijde, B. Dijkmans, P. Geusens, et al., “Efficacy and safety of infliximab in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: results of a randomized, placebo-controlled trial (ASSERT),” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 582–591, 2005.
- M. Breban, P. Ravaud, P. Claudepierre, et al., “Maintenance of infliximab treatment in ankylosing spondylitis: results of a one-year randomized controlled trial comparing systematic versus on-demand treatment,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 88–97, 2008.
- R. Buchbinder, L. March, M. Lassere, et al., “Effect of treatment with biological agents for arthritis in Australia: the Australian Rheumatology Association Database,” Internal Medicine Journal, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 591–600, 2007.
- A. Silman, D. Symmons, D. G. I. Scott, and I. Griffiths, “British society for rheumatology biologics register,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 62, supplement 2, pp. 28–29, 2003.
- L. Carmona and J. J. Gomez-Reino, “On behalf of the BIOBADASER Group. Survival of TNF antagonists in spondylarthritis is better than in rheumatoid arthritis. Data from the Spanish registry BIOBADASER,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 8, p. R72, 2006.
- M. L. Hetland, “DANBIO: a nationwide registry of biological therapies in Denmark,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 23, supplement 5, pp. S205–S207, 2005.
- L. Konttinen, R. Tuompo, T. Uusitalo, et al., “Anti-TNF therapy in the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis: the Finnish experience.,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1693–1700, 2007.
- T. K. Kvien, M. S. Heiberg, E. Lie, et al., “A Norwegian DMARD register: prescriptions of DMARDs and biological agents to patients with inflammatory rheumatic diseases,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 23, supplement 5, pp. S188–S194, 2005.
- I. Rupp, H. C. Boshuizen, C. E. Jacobi, H. J. Dinant, and G. A. M. van den Bos, “Comorbidity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: effect on health-related quality of life,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 58–65, 2004.
- L. Carmona, M. A. Descalzo, E. Perez-Pampin, et al., “All-cause and cause-specific mortality in rheumatoid arthritis are not greater than expected when treated with tumour necrosis factor antagonists,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 880–885, 2007.
- F. Wolfe, D. M. Mitchell, J. T. Sibley, et al., “The mortality of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 481–494, 1994.
- K. Hyrich, D. Symmons, K. Watson, and A. Silman, “Baseline comorbidity levels in biologic and standard DMARD treated patients with rheumatoid arthritis: results from a national patient register,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 895–898, 2006.
- A. M. Briggs, L. March, M. Lassere, et al., “Baseline comorbidities in an Australian population-based cohort of rheumatoid arthritis patients receiving biological therapy: data from the Australian Rheumatology Association Database (ARAD),” International Journal of Rheumatology, in press.
- S. van der Linden, H. A. Valkenburg, and A. Cats, “Evaluation of diagnostic criteria for ankylosing spondylitis. A proposal for modification of the New York criteria,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 361–368, 1984.
- PBS. Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, Australian Government Department of Health and Aging, January 2007, http://www.pbs.gov.au/html/home.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, “Adalimumab, etanercept and infliximab for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis,” June 2008, http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/TA143QuickRefGuide.pdf.
- National Institute for Clinical Excellence, Guidance on the Use of Etanercept and Infliximab for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis, NICE, London, UK, 2002.
- L. C. Perera, K. E. Tymms, B. J. Wilson, et al., “Etanercept in severe active rheumatoid arthritis: first Australian experience,” Internal Medicine Journal, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 625–631, 2006.
- M. P. Staples, M. Elwood, R. C. Burton, J. L. Williams, R. Marks, and G. G. Giles, “Non-melanoma skin cancer in Australia: the 2002 national survey and trends since 1985,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 184, no. 1, pp. 6–10, 2006.
- D. M. Parkin, S. L. Whelan, J. Ferlay, et al., Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, vol. 8, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, 2002.
- J. N. Bouwes Bavinck, D. R. Hardie, A. Green, et al., “The risk of skin cancer in renal transplant recipients in Queensland, Australia: a follow-up study,” Transplantation, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 715–721, 1996.
- R. Buchbinder, M. Barber, L. Heuzenroeder, et al., “Incidence of melanoma and other malignancies among rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with methotrexate,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 794–799, 2008.
- S. Garrett, T. Jenkinson, L. G. Kennedy, H. Whitelock, P. Gaisford, and A. Calin, “A new approach to defining disease status in ankylosing spondylitis: the bath ankylosing spondylitis disease activity index,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 2286–2291, 1994.
- J. Ware, M. Kosinski, and S. Keller, SF-36 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales: A User's Manual, New England Medical Centre, The Health Institute, Boston, Mass, USA, 1994.
- G. Hawthorne, J. Richardson, and R. Osborne, “The Assessment of Quality of Life (AQoL) Instrument: a psychometric measure of health-related quality of life,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 209–224, 1999.
- L. H. Daltroy, M. G. Larson, W. N. Roberts, and M. H. Liang, “A modification of the Health Assessment Questionnaire for the spondyloarthropathies,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 946–950, 1990.
- World Health Organization, International Classification of Disease, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1977.
- World Health Organization, International Classification of Diseases for Oncology, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1976.
- R. Cote, Ed., Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine, College of American Pathologists, Skokie, Ill, USA, 1980.
- M. Oppe, R. Rabin, and F. de Charro, “On behalf of the EuroQoL Group 2007. EQ-5D User Guide,” February 2008, http://www.euroqol.org.
- R. Ariza-Ariza, B. Hernandez-Cruz, and F. Navarro-Sarabia, “Physical function and health-related quality of life of Spanish patients with ankylosing spondylitis,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 483–487, 2003.
- W. Kievit, J. Fransen, A. J. M. Oerlemans, et al., “The efficacy of anti-TNF in rheumatoid arthritis, a comparison between randomised controlled trials and clinical practice,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 1473–1478, 2007.
- H. A. Weiss, S. C. Darby, and R. Doll, “Cancer mortality following X-ray treatment for ankylosing spondylitis,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 327–338, 1994.
- N. Feltelius, A. Ekbom, and P. Blomqvist, “Cancer incidence among patients with ankylosing spondylitis in Sweden 1965–1995: a population based cohort study,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 1185–1188, 2003.
- J. Askling, L. Klareskog, P. Blomqvist, M. Fored, and N. Feltelius, “Risk for malignant lymphoma in ankylosing spondylitis: a nationwide Swedish case-control study,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 1184–1187, 2006.