- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Rheumatology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 585497, 6 pages
Randomised Double-Blind Trial of Combination Antibiotic Therapy in Rheumatoid Arthritis
1Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology, 1 Aspenlea Road, London W6 8LH, UK
2MRC Clinical Trials Unit, 222 Euston Road, London NW1 2DA, UK
3Charing Cross Hospital, Fulham Palace Road, London W6 8RF, UK
Received 30 March 2011; Accepted 4 May 2011
Academic Editor: Ronald F. van Vollenhoven
Copyright © 2011 Angela Smith et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. J. Olsen and C. M. Stein, “New drugs for rheumatoid arthritis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 21, pp. 2167–2179, 2004.
- J. R. O'Dell, “Therapeutic strategies for rheumatoid arthritis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 25, pp. 2591–2602, 2004.
- M. Stone, P. R. Fortin, C. Pacheco-Tena, and R. D. Inman, “Should tetracycline treatment be used more extensively for rheumatoid arthritis? Meta-analysis demonstrates clinical benefit with reduction in disease activity,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 2112–2122, 2003.
- TM Brown, SW Bush, and WR Felts, “Management of the chronically ill patient,” in Long Term Illness, M. G. Wohe, Ed., WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1959.
- D. K. Ford, “The microbiological causes of rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1441–1442, 1991.
- A. N. Sapadin and R. Fleischmajer, “Tetracyclines: nonantibiotic properties and their clinical implications,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 258–265, 2006.
- M. Kloppenburg, F. C. Breedveld, J. P. Terwiel, C. Mallée, and B. A. C. Dijkmans, “Minocycline in active rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 629–636, 1994.
- B. C. Tilley, G. S. Alarcon, S. P. Heyse et al., “Minocycline in rheumatoid arthritis. A 48-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 81–89, 1995.
- J. R. O'Dell, K. M. Blakely, W. Palmer et al., “Treatment of early rheumatoid arthritis with minocycline or placebo: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 842–848, 1997.
- J. R. O'Dell, K. M. Blakely, J. A. Mallek, P. J. Eckhoff, R. D. Leff, et al., “Treatment of early seropositive rheumatoid arthritis: a two-year, double-blind comparison of minocycline and hydroxychloroquine,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 2235–2241, 2001.
- J. R. O'Dell, J. Elliott, J. A. Mallek et al., “Treatment of early seropositive rheumatoid arthritis: doxycycline plus methotrexate versus methotrexate alone,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 621–627, 2006.
- L. L. Gompels, A. Smith, W. Rogers et al., “Single-blind randomized trial of combination antibiotic therapy in rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 224–227, 2006.
- F. C. Arnett, S. M. Edworthy, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 315–324, 1988.
- M. Prevoo, M. A. van 't Hof, H. H. Kuper, M. A. Van Leeuwen, L. B. A. Van De Putte, and P. L. C. M. Van Riel, “Modified disease activity scores that include twenty-eight-joint counts,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 44–48, 1995.
- O. Steinbrocker, C. H. Traeger, and R. Batterman, “Therapeutic criteria in rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 140, no. 8, pp. 659–662, 1949.
- D. T. Felson, J. J. Anderson, M. Boers et al., “American College of Rheumatology preliminary definition of improvement in rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 727–735, 1995.
- G. Kallerup, M. Hansuren, and K. Horsleu-Peterson, “Urinary hydroxypyridinium cross-links of collagen in rheumatoid arthritis: relation to disease activity and effects of methyl prednisolone,” British Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 816–820, 1994.