- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Rheumatology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 854167, 5 pages
Surgical Management of Temporomandibular Joint Ankylosis in Ankylosing Spondylitis
Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Frenchay Hospital, Beckspool Road, Bristol BS16 1LE, UK
Received 19 November 2010; Accepted 26 January 2011
Academic Editor: Shinichi Kawai
Copyright © 2011 Andrew M. Felstead and Peter J. Revington. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. K. Chow, W. L. Ng, C. K. Tam, and N. Kung, “Bilateral ankylosis of temporomandibular joint secondary to ankylosing spondylitis in a male Chinese,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 133–134, 1997.
- C. Davidson, J. A. Wojtulewski, P. A. Bacon, and D. Winstock, “Temporo mandibular joint disease in ankylosing spondylitis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 87–91, 1975.
- A. Roychoudhury, H. Parkash, and A. Trikha, “Functional restoration by gap arthroplasty in temporomandibular joint ankylosis a report of 50 cases,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 166–169, 1999.
- A. J. Sidebottom, “Guidelines for the replacement of temporomandibular joints in the United Kingdom,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 146–147, 2008.
- P. K. Nayak, S. C. Nair, D. G. Krishnan, and V. J. Perciaccante, “Ankylosis of the temporomandibular joint,” in Maxillofacial Surgery, P. Ward Booth, S. Schendel, and J. E. Hausamen, Eds., pp. 1521–1539, Churchill Levingstone, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- R. Abbe, “An operation for the relief of anchylosis of the temporo-maxillary joint, by exsection of the neck of the condyle of the lower jaw; with remarks,” New York Medical Journal, vol. 31, pp. 362–366, 1880.
- A. Punnia Moorthy and L. D. Finch, “Interpositional arthroplasty for ankylosis of the temporomandibular joint,” Oral Surgery Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 545–552, 1983.
- S. E. Feinberg and P. E. Larsen, “The use of a pedicled temporalis muscle-pericranial flap for replacement of the TMJ disc: preliminary report,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 142–146, 1989.
- E. Erdem and A. Alkan, “The use of acrylic marbles for interposition arthroplasty in the treatment of temporomandibular joint ankylosis: follow-up of 47 cases,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 32–36, 2001.
- J. N. Kent and D. J. Misiek, “Controversies in disc and condyle replacement for partial and total temporomandibular joint reconstruction,” in Controversies in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, P. Worthington and J. R. Evans, Eds., pp. 397–435, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1994.
- M. R. Cope, K. F. Moos, and N. Hammersley, “The compressible silicone rubber prosthesis in temporomandibular joint disease,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 376–384, 1993.
- N. R. Saeed, N. M. H. McLeod, and R. Hensher, “Temporomandibular joint replacement in rheumatoid-induced disease,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 71–75, 2001.
- K. Ohara, K. Nakamura, and E. Ohta, “Chest wall deformities and thoracic scoliosis after costal cartilage graft harvesting,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 1030–1036, 1997.
- L. G. Mercuri, N. R. Edibam, and A. Giobbie-Hurder, “Fourteen-year follow-up of a patient-fitted total temporomandibular joint reconstruction system,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 1140–1148, 2007.
- R. V. Manemi, A. Fasanmade, and P. J. Revington, “Bilateral ankylosis of the jaw treated with total alloplastic replacement using the TMJ concepts system in a patient with ankylosing spondylitis,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 159–161, 2009.
- A. Agarwal, “Preankylosing spondylitis,” in Ankylosing Spondylitis, J. M. H. Moll, Ed., pp. 69–75, Churchill Levingstone, Edinburgh, UK, 1980.
- C. T. Chou, L. Pei, D. M. Chang, C. F. Lee, H. R. Schumacher, and M. H. Liang, “Prevalence of rheumatic diseases in Taiwan: a population study of urban, suburban, rural differences,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 302–306, 1994.
- R. J. Crum and R. J. Loiselle, “Temporomandibular joint symptoms and ankylosing spondylitis,” The Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 630–633, 1971.
- H. J. Maes and W. Dihlmann, “Affection of the temporomandibular joints in spondylitis ankylopoeiticaBefall der Temporomandibulargelenke bei der Spondylitis ankylopoetica,” Fortschritte auf dem Gebiete der Rontgenstrahlen und der Nuklearmedizin, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 513–516, 1968.
- D. Resnick, “Temporomandibular joint involvement in ankylosing spondylitis. Comparison with rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis,” Radiology, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 587–591, 1974.
- M. C. Locher, M. Felder, and H. F. Sailer, “Involvement of the temporomandibular joints in ankylosing spondylitis (Bechterew's disease),” Journal of Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 205–213, 1996.
- L. M. Wolford, M. C. Pitta, O. Reiche-Fischel, and P. F. Franco, “TMJ concepts/techmedia custom-made TMJ total joint prosthesis: 5-year follow-up study,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 268–274, 2003.
- A. J. Sidebottom, B. Speculand, and R. Hensher, “Foreign body response around total prosthetic metal-on-metal replacements of the temporomandibular joint in the UK,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 288–292, 2008.