- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Rheumatology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 139608, 7 pages
Health Care Costs Associated with Ankylosing Spondylitis in Turkey: An Analysis from Nationwide Real-World Data
1Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
2STATinMED Research, Istanbul, Turkey
3Social Security Institution, Ankara, Turkey
4Central Bank of Turkey, Ankara, Turkey
5Gastroenterology Clinic, Dıskapı Yıldırım Beyazıt Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Received 9 November 2012; Revised 31 December 2012; Accepted 10 January 2013
Academic Editor: Ruben Burgos-Vargas
Copyright © 2013 Onur Baser et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Braun and J. Sieper, “Ankylosing spondylitis,” The Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9570, pp. 1379–1390, 2007.
- A. Boonen, D. van der Heijde, R. Landewé et al., “Direct costs of ankylosing spondylitis and its determinants: an analysis among three European countries,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 732–740, 2003.
- A. Russell, Ankylosing Spondylitis: History. Rheumatology, vol. 1, Mosby, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1998.
- J. Braun, M. Bollow, and G. Remlinger, “9. Literaturliste,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 33, pp. 1763–1769, 1990.
- A. Saraux, C. Guedes, J. Allain et al., “Prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis and spondyloarthropathy in Brittany, France,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 2622–2627, 1999.
- G. Bakland, H. C. Nossent, and J. T. Gran, “Incidence and prevalence of ankylosing spondylitis in northern Norway,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 850–855, 2005.
- O. Yenal, O. N. Usman, and K. Yassa, “Epidemiology of rheumatic syndromes in Turkey. III. Appearance of rheumatic sacroiliitis in men of 20-22 years,” Zeitschrift für Rheumatologie, vol. 36, no. 9-10, pp. 294–298, 1977.
- F. Onen, S. Akar, M. Birlik et al., “Prevalence of ankylosing spondylitis and related spondyloarthritides in an urban area of Izmir, Turkey,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 305–309, 2008.
- N. Çakir, Ö. N. Pamuk, E. Derviş et al., “The prevalences of some rheumatic diseases in western Turkey: Havsa study,” Rheumatology International, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 895–908, 2012.
- E. Feldtkeller, M. A. Khan, D. van der Heijde, S. van der Linden, and J. Braun, “Age at disease onset and diagnosis delay in HLA-B27 negative vs. positive patients with ankylosing spondylitis,” Rheumatology International, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 61–66, 2003.
- M. M. Ward, “Functional disability predicts total costs in patients with ankylosing spondylitis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 46, pp. 223–231, 2002.
- G. Kobelt, P. Sobocki, J. Mulero, J. Gratacos, A. Pocovi, and E. Collantes-Estevez, “The burden of ankylosing spondylitis in Spain,” Value in Health, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 408–415, 2008.
- D. Huscher, S. Merkesdal, K. Thiele, H. Zeidler, M. Schneider, and A. Zink, “Cost of illness in rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus in Germany,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 1175–1183, 2006.
- J. Mould-Quevedo, I. Peláez-Ballestas, J. Vázquez-Mellado et al., “Social costs of the most common inflammatory rheumatic diseases in Mexico from the patient's perspective,” Gaceta Médica de México, vol. 144, no. 3, pp. 225–231, 2008.
- G. Kobelt, P. Andlin-Sobocki, and W. P. Maksymowych, “Costs and quality of life of patients with ankylosing spondylitis in Canada,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 289–295, 2006.
- C. H. MacLean, R. Louie, B. Leake et al., “Quality of care for patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 284, no. 8, pp. 984–992, 2000.
- A. Elixhauser, C. Steiner, D. R. Harris, and R. M. Coffey, “Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data,” Medical Care, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 8–27, 1998.
- O. Baser, L. Palmer, and J. Stephenson, “The estimation power of alternative comorbidity indices,” Value in Health, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 946–955, 2008.
- D. A. Southern, H. Quan, and W. A. Ghali, “Comparison of the elixhauser and charlson/deyo methods of comorbidity measurement in administrative data,” Medical Care, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 355–360, 2004.
- O. Baser, “Modeling transformed health care costs with unknown heteroskedasticity,” Applied Economic Research Bulletin, vol. 1, pp. 1–6, 2007.
- W. G. Manning and J. Mullahy, “Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform?” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 461–494, 2001.
- J. M. Wooldridge, Introductory Econometrics: A Modern Approach, Thomson/South-Western, Mason, Ohio, USA, 3rd edition, 2006.
- S. Malhan, S. Pay, S. Ataman et al., “The cost of care of rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis patients in tertiary care rheumatology units in Turkey,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 202–207, 2012.
- A. Beslek, F. Onen, M. Birlik et al., “Prevalence of spondyloarthritis in Turkish patients with inflammatory bowel disease,” Rheumatology International, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 955–957, 2009.
- N. Akkoc, “Are spondyloarthropathies as common as rheumatoid arthritis worldwide? A review,” Current Rheumatology Reports, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 371–378, 2008.
- D. Durmuş, G. Alayli, O. Uzun et al., “Effects of two exercise interventions on pulmonary functions in the patients with ankylosing spondylitis,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 150–155, 2009.
- A. Boonen, D. Van der Heijde, R. Landewé et al., “Work status and productivity costs due to ankylosing spondylitis: comparison of three European countries,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 429–437, 2002.
- G. Kobelt, P. Andlin-Sobocki, S. Brophy, L. Jönsson, A. Calin, and J. Braun, “The burden of ankylosing spondylitis and the cost-effectiveness of treatment with infliximab (Remicade),” Rheumatology, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1158–1166, 2004.
- K. Benson and A. J. Hartz, “A comparison of observational studies and randomized, controlled trials,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 342, no. 25, pp. 1878–1886, 2000.
- J. P. Weiner, N. R. Powe, D. M. Steinwachs, and G. Dent, “Applying insurance claims data to assess quality of care: a compliation of potential indicators,” Quality Review Bulletin, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 424–438, 1990.
- P. S. Romano and H. S. Luft, “Getting the most out of messy data: problems and approaches for dealing with large administrative data sets,” in Medical Effectiveness Research Data Methods, US Dept of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Md, USA, 1992.