- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Reconfigurable Computing
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 980762, 20 pages
New Three-Level Resource Management Enhancing Quality of Offline Hardware Task Placement on FPGA
1University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis/LEAT-CNRS, 250 rue Albert Einstein, bât 4. 06560, Sophia Antipolis - Cedex, France
2Research Unit ReDCAD, National Engineering School of Sfax, B.P. 1173-3038 Sfax, Tunisia
Received 14 November 2009; Revised 6 March 2010; Accepted 24 April 2010
Academic Editor: Christophe Bobda
Copyright © 2010 Ikbel Belaid et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. A. El Farag, H. M. El-Boghdadi, and S. I. Shaheen, “Improving utilization of reconfigurable resources using two dimensional compaction,” in Proceedings of the Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference and Exhibition (DATE '07), pp. 135–140, Nice, France, April 2007.
- http://www.polytech.unice.fr/~fmuller/fosfor/, FOSFOR. 2008.
- I. Belaid, F. Muller, and M. Benjemaa, “Off-line placement of hardware tasks on FPGA,” in Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Application (FPL '09), pp. 591–595, Prague, Czech republic, September 2009.
- K. Bazargan, R. Kastner, and M. Sarrafzadeh, “Fast template placement for reconfigurable computing systems,” IEEE Design and Test, Special Issue on Reconfigurable Computing, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 68–83, 2000.
- E. G. Coffman Jr., M. R. Garey, and D. S. Johnson, Approximation Algorithms for Bin Packing: A Survey, Chapter 2, PWS Publishing Company, Boston, Mass, USA, 1997.
- H. Walder, C. Steiger, and M. Platzner, “Fast online task placement on FPGAs: free space partitioning and 2D-hashing,” in Proceedings of the International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS '03), p. 178, Nice, France, April 2003.
- A. Ahmadinia, C. Bobda, M. Bednara, and J. Teich, “A new approach for on-line placement on reconfigurable devices,” in Proceedings of the 18th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS '04), vol. 4, p. 134, Santa Fe, NM, USA, April 2004.
- T. Marconi, Y. Lu, K. Bertels, and G. Gaydadjiev, “Intelligent merging online task placement algorithm for partial reconfigurable systems,” in Proceedings of the Design Automation Test Europe (DATE '08), pp. 1346–1351, Munich, Germany, March 2008.
- M. Handa and R. Vemuri, “An efficient algorithm for finding empty space for online FPGA placement,” in Proceedings of the 41st Design Automation Conference (DAC '04), pp. 960–965, San Diego, Calif, USA, June 2004.
- H. ElGindy, M. Middendorf, H. Schmeck, and B. Schmidt, “Task rearrangement on partially reconfigurable FPGAs with restricted buffer,” in Proceedings of the Field Programmable Logic and Applications, vol. 1896, pp. 379–388, Vienna, Austria, August 2000.
- J. Resano, D. Mozos, D. Verkest, S. Vernalde, and F. Catthoor, “Run-time minimization of reconfiguration overhead in dynamically reconfigurable systems,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Application, vol. 2778 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 585–594, Lisbon, Portugal, September 2003.
- E. M. Panainte, K. Bertels, and S. Vassiliadis, “FPGA-area allocation for partial run-time reconfiguration,” in Proceedings of the Design Automation Test Europe (DATE '05), pp. 100–105, Munich, Germany, March 2005.
- A. Lodi, S. Martello, and M. Monaci, “Two-dimensional packing problems: a survey,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 241–252, 2002.
- A. Lodi, S. Martello, and D. Vigo, “Neighborhood search algorithm for the guillotine non-oriented two-dimensional bin packing problem,” in Proceedings of the Meta-heuristics : Advances and Trends in Local Search Paradigms for Optimization, pp. 125–139, Sophia Antipolis, France, July 1997.
- A. Lodi, S. Martello, and D. Vigo, “Heuristic and metaheuristic approaches for a class of two-dimensional bin packing problems,” INFORMS Journal on Computing, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 345–357, 1999.
- B. S. Baker, E. G. Coffman Jr., and R. L. Rivest, “Orthogonal packings in two dimensions,” SIAM Journal on Computing, pp. 846–855, 1980.
- S. Martello and D. Vigo, “Exact solution of the two-dimensional finite bin packing problem,” Management Science, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 388–399, 1998.
- K. Danne and S. Stuehmeier, “Off-line placement of tasks onto reconfigurable hardware considering geometrical task variants,” in From Specification to Embedded Systems Application, vol. 184 of International Federation for Information Processing, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- K. Bazargan, R. Kastner, and M. Sarrafzadeh, “3-D floorplanning: simulated annealing and greedy placement methods for reconfigurable computing systems,” Design Automation for Embedded Systems, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 329–338, 2000.
- S. P. Fekete, E. Kohler, and J. Teich, “Optimal FPGA module placement with temporal precedence constraints,” in Proceedings of the Conference Design Automation and Test in Europe, pp. 658–665, Munich, Germany, 2001.
- J. Teich, S. P. Fekete, and J. Schepers, “Optimization of dynamic hardware reconfigurations,” The Journal of Supercomputing, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 57–75, 2001.
- F. Rivoallon and A. Cosoroaba, Achieving Higher System Performance with the Virtex 5 Family of FPGAs, Xilinx White Paper, San Jose, Calif, USA, 2006.
- I. Belaid, F. Muller, and M. Benjemaa, “Off-line placement of reconfigurable zones and off-line mapping of hardware tasks on FPGA,” in Proceedings of the Design and Architectures for Signal and Image Processing (DASIP '09), Sophia Antipolis, France, September 2009.
- J. Clausen, Branch and Bound Algorithms-Principles and Examples, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1999.
- G. Pataki, M. Tural, and E. B. Wong, “Basis reduction and the complexity of branch-and-bound,” in Proceedings of the Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 1254–1261, Austin, Tex, USA, January 2010.
- S. M. Azam, M. ur-Rehman, A. K. Bhatti, and N. Daudpota, “Parallel branch and bound model using logarithmic sampling (PBLS) for symmetric traveling salesman problem,” in Proceedings of the World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 6, pp. 66–69, June 2005.
- J.-K. Hao, P. Galinier, and M. Habib, “Métaheuristiques pour l'optimisation combinatoire et l'affectation sous contraintes,” Revue d'Intelligence Artificielle, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 283–324, 1999.
- “Virtex-5 FPGA Configuration User Guide,” Xilinx white paper, August 2009.
- A. Neumaier, O. Shcherbina, W. Huyer, and T. Vinkó, “A comparison of complete global optimization solvers,” Mathematical Programming, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 335–356, 2005.
- J. A. Clemente, C. González, J. Resano, and D. Mozos, “A hardware task-graph scheduler for reconfigurable multi-tasking systems,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Reconfigurable Computing and FPGAs, pp. 79–84, Cancun, Mexico, December 2008.
- L. Devaux, D. Chillet, S. Pillement, and D. demigny, “Flexible communication support for dynamically reconfigurable fpgas,” in Proceedings of the 5th Southern Conference on Programmable Logic (SPL '09), pp. 65–70, São Paulo, Brazil, April 2009.