- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Rotating Machinery
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 415296, 10 pages
Particulate Emissions Hazards Associated with Fueling Heat Engines
1Research and Technology Directorate, NASA Glenn Research Center, 21000 Brookpark Road, Cleveland, OH 44135, USA
2NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA 23681, USA
Received 24 December 2010; Accepted 18 March 2011
Academic Editor: Zuohua Huang
Copyright © 2011 Robert C. Hendricks and Dennis Bushnell. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Atlantic Greenfuels, “Sustainable Palm Oils, contact: J. R. Degenfelder,” 2009, http://www.atlanticgreenfuels.com/.
- Atlantic Greenfuels, “Atlantic Greenfuels Workshop, contact: J. R. Degenfelder,” 2009, http://atlanticgreenfuels.com/.
- Reuters, “Hanfeng Evergreen Completes Indonesia Joint Venture Agreement,” 2009, http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/04/15/idUS112238+15-Apr-2009+MW20090415.
- Evogene Ltd, “Evogene,” 2009, http://www.evogene.com/.
- K. A. McVay and P. F. Lamb, “Camelina Production in Montana,” Montguide, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, 2007, http://msuextension.org/publications/AgandNaturalResources/MT200701AG.pdf.
- S. R. Schill, “Making Pennycress Pay Off,” Biodiesel Magazine, Grand Forks, ND., 2008, http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/articles/2047/making-pennycress-pay-off/.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency, “A Comprehensive Analysis of Biodiesel Impacts on Exhaust Emissions,” EPA420–P–02–001, EPA, Washington, DC, USA, 2002, http://www.epa.gov/otaq/models/analysis/biodsl/p02001.pdf.
- E. Corporan, R. Reich, O. Monroig et al., “Impacts of biodiesel on pollutant emissions of a JP-8-fueled turbine engine,” Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 940–949, 2005.
- B. Anderson, “Langley Aircraft Emission Research: Highlights and Overview of the Alternative Aviation Fuel Experiment,” NASA Langley Research Center presentation, 2009.
- ““Making CO2 Visible,” in Mechanical Engineering, J. Winters, Ed., ASME, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- R. C. Hendricks, D. L. Daggett, and D. M. Bushnell, “Synthetic and Biomass Alternate Fueling in Aviation,” in Workshop Report on Green Aviation, NASA Ames Research Center, S. Langhoff, et al., Ed., Moffett Field, Calif, USA, 2009.
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics, “National Transportation Statistics, U.S. Department of Transportation Research and Innovative Technology Administration,” Washington, DC, USA, 2007, http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/2007/pdf/entire.pdf.
- D. T. Shouse, C. Neuroth, R. C. Hendricks, et al., “Alternate fueled combustor-sector performance,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena of Rotating Machinery, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2010.
- R. C. Hendricks, D. M. Bushnell, and D. T. Shouse, “Aviation fueling: a cleaner, greener approach,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena of Rotating Machinery, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2010.
- R. Ryder, R. C. Hendricks, M. L. Huber, and D. T. Shouse, “Computational analysis of dynamic SPK/HRJ–JP–8 (S8) fueled combustor-sector performance,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena of Rotating Machinery, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2010.
- Boeing, “Sustainable Aviation Fuel Users Group Our Commitment to Sustainable Options,” Seattle, Wash, USA, 2009, http://www.boeing.com/commercial/environment/pdf/sustainable_aviation_fuel_users_group.pdf.
- Atlantic Greenfuels, “Atlantic Greenfuels Workshop, T. Edwards presentation,” contact: J. R. Degenfelder, 2009, http://www.atlanticgreenfuels.com/.
- CAFÉ Foundation, “CAFÉ News,” Santa Rosa, Calif, USA, 2009, http://cafefoundation.org/v2/main_home.php.
- Wikipedia, ““Ethyl tert-butyl ether (ETBE),” 2009, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETBE.
- Baylor Institute for Air Science, “;Dr. Max Shauck Flying on Ethanol,” Baylor Aviation, Waco, Tex, USA, 2006, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR1kJ2z3zxM.
- J. Scott, “RARE in Waco,” Rural Alliance for Renewable Energy, Austin, Tex, USA, 2005, http://www.infinitepower.org/rare/events/Waco0505/waco0505.htm.
- Embraer, “Embraer EMB 202 Ipanema,” Botucatu, Brazil, 2009http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Embraer_EMB_202_Ipanema.
- Wikipedia, ““Antonov An-2,” 2009http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-2.
- Green Flight International, “L–29 Rodante and Sugars,” Apopka, Fla, USA, 2009, http://www.greenflightinternational.com/index.htm.
- The Chicago Tribune, “EPA: Emissions Pose Health Risk,” 2009, http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/green/chi-obama-climate_dcapr18,0,6572389.story.
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, “SETAC,” 2009, http://www.setac.org/.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court of United States, “Massachusetts et al. v. Environmental Protection Agency et al.,” Syllabus No. 05–1120, 2006, http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/06pdf/05-1120.pdf.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency, “Endangerment and Cause or Contribute Findings for Greenhouse Gases Under the Clean Air Act.,” 2009, http://epa.gov/climatechange/endangerment.html.
- Centers for Disease Control, “Chronic Inhalation Exposure to Coal Dust and /or Diesel Exhaust: Effects on the Alveolar Macrophages of Rats,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 101–102, 1984.
- W. Stoeber, “On the health hazards of particulate diesel engine exhaust emissions,” in Proceedings of the SAE Passenger Car Meeting and Exposition, 1987.
- T. W. Hesterberg and W. B. Bunn, “Critical Assessment of Health Studies on Diesel Exhaust,” SAE Paper 2009-26-0012, 2009.
- B. Y. H. Liu, K. L. Rubow, P. H. McMurry, T. J. Kotz, and D. Russo, “Airborne Particulate Matter and Spacecraft Internal Environments,” SAE Paper 911476, 1991.
- G. Oberdorster, J. Ferin, J. Finkelstein, R. Baggs, D. M. Stavert, and B. E. Lehnert, “Potential health hazards from thermal degradation events: particulate vs. gas phase effects,” in Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Environmental Systems, pp. 1–15, July 1992.
- G. Oberdörster, E. Oberdörster, and J. Oberdörster, “Nanotoxicology: an emerging discipline evolving from studies of ultrafine particles,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 823–839, 2005.
- B. Z. Simkhovich, M. T. Kleinman, and R. A. Kloner, “Air pollution and cardiovascular injury. Epidemiology, toxicology, and mechanisms,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 719–726, 2008.
- J. Schwartz, “Particulate air pollution and chronic respiratory disease,” Environmental Research, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 1993.
- R. C. Hendricks, “Potential carbon negative commercial aviation through land management,” in Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena and Dynamics of Rotating Machinery, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2008.
- D. L. Bulzan, et al., “Gaseous and Particulate Emissions Results of the NASA Alternative Aviation Fuel Experiment (AAFEX),” in Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo 2010: Power for Land, Sea and Air (GT '10), Glasgow, Scotland, 2010.
- G. Hunter, NASA Glenn Research Center, private communication, 2009.
- S. Lovgren, “Dogs Smell Cancer in Patients' Breath, Study Shows,” National Geographic News, Washington, DC, USA, 2006, http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0112_060112_dog_cancer.html.
- R. Leung, “Can Dogs Sniff Out Cancer?” CBS 60 Minutes, New York, NY, USA, 2005, http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/06/60minutes/main665263.shtml.
- G. W. Hunter and R. D. Dweik, “Applied breath analysis: an overview of the challenges and opportunities in developing and testing sensor technology for human health monitoring in aerospace and clinical applications,” Journal of Breath Research, vol. 2, p. 31, 2008.
- A. Bonincontro, “What Are Pozzolanic Materials and What Is Their Role?” Helium, Inc., Andover, Mass, USA, 2002–2010http://www.helium.com/items/607752-what-are-pozzolanic-materials-and-what-is-their-role.
- A. L. Velosa and M. R. Veiga, “Pozzolanic Materials—Evolution of Mechanical Properties,” in Proceedings of the International Building Lime Symposium, Orlando, Fla, USA, 2005.
- Yuneec International, “e430,” Herts, UK, 2008, http://yuneeccouk.site.securepod.com/Aircraft.html.