- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Rotating Machinery
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 823831, 15 pages
EFD and CFD Design and Analysis of a Propeller in Decelerating Duct
Department of Electrical, Electronic, Telecommunication Engineering and Naval Architecture (DITEN), University of Genoa, Via Montallegro 1, U16145 Genova, Italy
Received 7 September 2012; Accepted 6 November 2012
Academic Editor: Alessandro Corsini
Copyright © 2012 Stefano Gaggero et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. W. C. Oosterveld, Wake Adapted Ducted Propellers, Publication no. 345, NSMB, Wageningen, Netherlands, 1970.
- W. B. Coney, A method for the design of a class of optimum marine propellers [Ph.D. thesis], Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1989.
- H. W. Lerbs, “Moderately loaded propellers with a finite number of blades and an arbitrary distribution of circulation,” Transaction of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, vol. 60, pp. 6–31, 1952.
- D. Bertetta, S. Brizzolara, E. Canepa, S. Gaggero, and M. Viviani, “EFD and CFD characterization of a CLT propeller,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, vol. 2012, Article ID 348939, pp. 1–23, 2012.
- D. Bertetta, S. Brizzolara, S. Gaggero, M. Viviani, and L. Savio, “CP propeller cavitation and noise optimization at different pitches with panel code and validation by cavitation tunnel measurements,” Ocean Engineering, vol. 53, pp. 177–195, 2012.
- D. Bertetta, C. Bertoglio, F. Conti, C. M. Rizzo, and M. Viviani, “Cavitation tunnel tests on ducted propellers,” in Proceedings 17th International Conference on Ships and Shipping Research, Naples, Italy, 2012.
- CD-Adapco, “StarCCM+, v5. 06. 10 User’s manual,” 2010, CD-Adapco.
- A. Sanchez-Caja, P. Rautaheimo, and T. Siikonen, “Simulation of incompressible viscous flow around a ducted propeller using a rans equation solver,” in Proceedings of the 23rd Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, 2000.
- M. Abdel-Maksoud and H. J. Heinke, “Scale effects on ducted propellers,” in Proceedings of the 24th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, 2003.
- M. J. Hughes, Analysis of multi-component ducted propulsors in unsteady flow [Ph.D. thesis], Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass, USA.
- J. Baltazar, J. A. C. Falcão de Campos, and J. Bosschers, “Open-water thrust and torque predictions of a ducted propeller system with a panel method,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, vol. 2012, Article ID 474785, 2012.
- J. Baltazar and J. A. C. Falcao de Campos, “On the modelling of the flow in ducted propellers with a panel method,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Marine Propulsors (SMP ’09), Trondheim, Norway, June 2009.
- J. E. Kerwin and R. Leopold, “A design theory for subcavitating propellers,” 1964, Transaction SNAME, 72.
- J. E. Connolly, Strength of Propellers, Transaction of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects, 1961.
- L. Grossi, “PESP: un programma integrato per la progettazione di eliche navali con la teoria della superficie portante,” Tech. Rep., CETENA, 1980.
- E. Castagneto and P. G. Maioli, “Theoretical and experimental study on the dynamics of hydrofoils as applied to naval propellers,” in Proceedings of the 7th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, 1968.
- S. Gaggero, D. Grassi, and S. Brizzolara, “From single to multistage marine propulsor: a fully numerical design approach,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Marine Propulsors, Hamburg, Germany, 2011.
- S. Gaggero, D. Villa, and S. Brizzolara, “Smp workshop on cavitation and propeller performances: the experience of the University of Genova on the Potsdam propeller test case,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Marine Propulsors, Workshop on Propeller Performances, Hamburg, Germany, 2011.
- P. VanOossanen, “Calculation of performance and cavitation characteristics of propellers including effects of non-uniform flow and viscosity,” Tech. Rep., Netherland Ship Model Basin.
- S. Gaggero and S. Brizzolara, “A panel method for trans-cavitating marine propellers,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Cavitation, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA, August 2009.
- S. Gaggero and S. Brizzolara, “Parametric CFD optimization of fast marine propellers,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Fast Sea Transportation, Athens, Greece, October 2009.
- L. Morino and C. C. Kuo, “Subsonic Potential Aerodynamic for complex configuration: a general theory,” AIAA Journal, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 191–197, 1974.
- J. Sauer and G. H. Schnerr, “Development of a new cavitation model based on bubble dynamics,” Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 561–562, 2001.
- C. Y. Hsin, Development and analysis of panel methods for propellers in unsteady flow [Ph.D. thesis], Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1990.
- L. Savio, M. Viviani, F. Conti, and M. Ferrando, “Application of computer vision techniques to measure cavitation bubble volume and cavitating tip vortex diameter,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Cavitation (CAV '09), pp. 737–748, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA, August 2009.
- M. Ferrando, M. Viviani, and S. Crotti, “Performance of a family of surface piercing propellers,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Marine Research and Transportation (ICMRT '07), pp. C63–C70, Ischia, Italy, June 2007.
- C. Bertoglio, Sviluppo di un sistema di misura per eliche intubate [M.S. thesis], University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy, 2011.