- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Stochastic Analysis
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 390548, 21 pages
A Stochastic Analysis of Hard Disk Drives
School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15217, USA
Received 16 November 2010; Revised 10 February 2011; Accepted 15 February 2011
Academic Editor: Karl Sigman
Copyright © 2011 Field Cady et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Seltzer, P. Chen, and J. Ousterhout, “Disk scheduling revisited,” in Proceedings of the USENIX Technical Conference, pp. 313–324, 1990.
- M. Andrews, Scheduling techniques for tacket routing, load balancing and disk scheduling, Ph.D. thesis, Supervisor-Goemans, Michel X., 1997.
- J. S. Bucy and G. R. Ganger, “The disksim simulation environment version 3.0 reference manual,” Tech. Rep., 2003.
- T. J. Teorey and T. B. Pinkerton, “Comparative analysis of disk scheduling policies,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 177–184, 1972.
- N. C. Wilhelm, “An anomaly in disk scheduling: a comparison of fcfs and sstf seek scheduling using an empirical model for disk accesses,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 1976.
- E. G. Coffman, L. A. Klimko, and B. Ryan, “Analysis of scanning policies for reducing disk seek times,” SIAM Journal on Computing, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 269–279, 1972.
- W. C. Oney, “Queueing analysis of the scan policy for moving-head disks,” Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, vol. 22, pp. 397–412, 1975.
- C. C. Gotlieb and G. H. MacEwen, “Performance of movable-head disk storage devices,” Journal of the ACM, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 604–623, 1973.
- E. G. Coffman, Jr. and M. Hofri, “On the expected performance of scanning disks,” SIAM Journal on Computing, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 60–70, 1982.
- E. G. Coffman, Jr. and E. N. Gilbert, “Polling and greedy servers on a line,” Queueing Systems, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 115–145, 1987.
- E. Coffman and M. Hofri, “Queueing models of secondary storage devices,” in Stochastic Analysis of Computer and Communication Systems, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- T. S. Chen, W. P. Yang, and R. C. T. Lee, “Amortized analysis of some disk scheduling algorithms: SSTF, SCAN, and N-StepSCAN,” BIT. Numerical Mathematics, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 546–558, 1992.
- M. Andrews, M. A. Bender, and L. Zhang, “New algorithms for the disk scheduling problem,” in Proceedings of the 37th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 550–559, Burlington, Vt, USA, 1996.
- T.-H. Yeh, C.-M. Kuo, C.-L. Lei, and H.-C. Yen, “Competitive analysis of on-line disk scheduling,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Algorithms and Computation (ISAAC ’96), Lecture Notes in Comput. Sci., pp. 356–365, Osaka, Japan, 1996.
- S. Ghandeharizadeh, D. J. Ierardi, D. Kim, and R. Zimmermann, “Placement of data in multi-zone disk drives,” 1996.
- R. Van Meter, “Observing the effects of multi-zone disks,” in Proceedings of the Usenix Technical Conference, 1997.
- A. Thomasian and J. Menon, “RAID5 performance with distributed sparing,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 640–657, 1997.
- A. Thomasian and M. Blaum, “Higher reliability redundant disk arrays: organization, operation, and coding,” ACM Transactions on Storage, vol. 5, no. 3, article no. 7, 2009.
- A. Thomasian and J. Menon, “Performance analysis of raid5 disk arrays with a vacationing server model for rebuild mode operation,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Data Engineering, pp. 111–119, 1994.
- E. K. Lee and R. H. Katz, “An analytic performance model of disk arrays,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGMETRICS Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems (SIGMETRICS ’93), pp. 98–109, 1993.
- M. Uysal, G. A. Alvarez, and A. Merchant, “A modular, analytical throughput model for modern disk arrays,” in Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunications Systems (MASCOTS '01), pp. 183–192, 2001.
- E. Varki, A. Merchant, J. Xu, and X. Qiu, “Issues and challenges in the performance analysis of real disk arrays,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 559–574, 2004.
- A. Thomasian, B. A. Branzoi, and C. Han, “Performance evaluation of a heterogeneous disk array architecture,” in Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunications Systems (MASCOTS '05), pp. 517–520, September 2005.
- A. S. Lebrecht, N. J. Dingle, and W. J. Knottenbelt, “A performance model of zoned disk drives with I/O request reordering,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on the Quantitative Evaluation of Systems (QEST '09), pp. 97–106, September 2009.
- S. Z. Chen and D. Towsley, “The design and evaluation of raid 5 and parity striping disk array architectures,” Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, vol. 17, no. 1-2, pp. 58–74, 1993.
- J. Menon, “Performance of RAID5 disk arrays with read and write caching,” Distributed and Parallel Databases, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 261–293, 1994.
- A. Merchant and P. S. Yu, “Analytic modeling of clustered RAID with mapping based on nearly random permutation,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 367–373, 1996.
- A. Thomasian, C. Han, G. Fu, and C. Liu, “A performance evaluation tool for RAID disk arrays,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on the Quantitative Evaluation of Systems (QEST '04), pp. 8–17, September 2004.
- H. Takagi, Queueing Analysis: A Foundation of Performance Evaluation, Elsevier Science, 1991.
- L. Kleinrock, Queueing Systems, Wiley Blackwell, New York, NY, USA, 1975.
- S. Lavenberg, Computer Performance Modeling Handbook, vol. 4 of Notes and Reports in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1983.
- C. Ruemmler and J. Wilkes, “Unix disk access patterns,” in Proceedings of the USENIX Technical Conference Proceedings, 1992.
- W. W. Hsu and A. J. Smith, “Characteristics of I/O traffic in personal computer and server workloads,” IBM Systems Journal, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 347–372, 2003.
- A. Riska and E. Riedel, “Long-range dependence at the disk drive level,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on the Quantitative Evaluation of Systems (QEST '06), pp. 41–50, September 2006.
- R. Geist, R. Reynolds, and E. Pittard, “Disk scheduling in system v,” in Proceedings of the 1987 ACM SIGMETRICS Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems (SIGMETRICS ’87), pp. 59–68, 1987.
- R. Geist and S. Daniel, “A continuum of disk scheduling algorithms,” ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 77–92, 1987.
- M. Hofri, “Disk scheduling: Fcfs vs. sstf revisited,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 645–653, 1980.
- D. M. Jacobson and J. Wilkes, “Disk scheduling algorithms based on rotational position,” Tech. Rep., Hewlett-Packard, Palo Alto, Calif, USA, February 1991.
- A. Thomasian and C. Liu, “Some new disk scheduling policies and their performance,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGMETRICS International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems (SIGMETRICS ’02), pp. 266–267, 2002.
- A. Thomasian and C. Liu, “Performance evaluation for variations of the satf scheduling policy,” in Proceedings of the Internationl Sympium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (SPECTS '04), pp. 431–437, 2004.
- B. L. Worthington, G. R. Ganger, Y. N. Patt, and J. Wilkes, “On-line extraction of scsi disk drive parameters,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGMETRICS Joint International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems, pp. 146–156, 1994.
- S. Chen and M. Thapar, “Zone-bit-recording-enhanced video data layout strategies,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, pp. 29–35, February 1996.
- A. Thomasian, “Priority queueing in raid disk arrays with an nvs cache,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunications Systems (MASCOTS '95), 1995.
- A. Thomasian, “Multi-level RAID for very large disk arrays,” ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 17–22, 2006.
- A. Riska and E. Riedel, “Its not fair—evaluating efficient disk scheduling,” in Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunications Systems (MASCOTS '03), pp. 288–295, 2003.
- J. Zedlewski, S. Sobti, N. Garg, F. Zheng, A. Krishnamurthy, and R. Wang, “Modeling hard-disk power consumption,” in Proceedings of the USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies, 2003.
- L. Singleton, R. Nathuji, and K. Schwan, “Flash on disk for low-power multimedia computing,” in Proceedings of the 14th Annual Multimedia Computing and Networking 2007, February 2007.