- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Stochastic Analysis
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 427383, 14 pages
Generalized Fractional Master Equation for Self-Similar Stochastic Processes Modelling Anomalous Diffusion
1CRS4, Centro Ricerche Studi Superiori e Sviluppo in Sardegna, Polaris Building 1, 09010 Pula (CA), Italy
2CRESME Research S.p.A., Viale Gorizia 25C, 00199 Roma, Italy
3Department of Physics, University of Bologna and INFN, Via Irnerio 46, 40126 Bologna, Italy
Received 31 May 2012; Accepted 11 September 2012
Academic Editor: Ciprian A. Tudor
Copyright © 2012 Gianni Pagnini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Balescu, Statistical Dynamics. Matter Out of Equilibrium, Imperial College Press, London, UK, 1997.
- H. Risken, The Fokker-Planck Equation: Methods of Solution and Applications, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2nd edition, 1989.
- C. W. Gardiner, Handbook of Stochastic Methods for Physics, Chemistry and the Natural Sciences, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2nd edition, 1990.
- G. H. Weiss, Aspects and Applications of the Random Walk, North-Holland Publishing, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1994.
- D. Baleanu, K. Diethelm, E. Scalas, and J. J. Trujillo, Fractional Calculus: Models and Numerical Methods, vol. 3 of Series on Complexity, Nonlinearity and Chaos, World Scientific, Singapore, 2012.
- K. Diethelm, The Analysis of Fractional Differential Equations, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2010.
- R. Metzler and J. Klafter, “The restaurant at the end of the random walk: recent developments in the description of anomalous transport by fractional dynamics,” Journal of Physics A, vol. 37, no. 31, pp. R161–R208, 2004.
- B. N. Lundstrom, M. H. Higgs, W. J. Spain, and A. L. Fairhall, “Fractional differentiation by neocortical pyramidal neurons,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1335–1342, 2008.
- E. Scalas, R. Gorenflo, and F. Mainardi, “Fractional calculus and continuous-time finance,” Physica A, vol. 284, no. 1–4, pp. 376–384, 2000.
- F. Mainardi, M. Raberto, R. Gorenflo, and E. Scalas, “Fractional calculus and continuous-time finance. II: The waiting-time distribution,” Physica A, vol. 287, no. 3-4, pp. 468–481, 2000.
- R. Gorenflo, F. Mainardi, E. Scalas, and M. Raberto, “Fractional calculus and continuous-time finance. III. The diffusion limit,” in Trends in Mathematics—Mathematical Finance, M. Kohlmann and S. Tang, Eds., pp. 171–180, Birkhäuser, Basel, Switzerland, 2001.
- E. Scalas, “The application of continuous-time random walks in finance and economics,” Physica A, vol. 362, no. 2, pp. 225–239, 2006.
- B. M. Vinagre, I. Podlubny, A. Hernández, and V. Feliu, “Some approximations of fractional order operators used in control theory and applications,” Fractional Calculus & Applied Analysis, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 231–248, 2000.
- G. Pagnini, “Nonlinear time-fractional differential equations in combustion science,” Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 80–93, 2011.
- G. Pagnini, “The evolution equation for the radius of a premixed flame ball in fractional diffusive media,” in European Physical Journal Special Topics, vol. 193, pp. 105–117, 2011.
- J. A. Tenreiro Machado, “And I say to myself: “What a fractional world!”,” Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis, vol. 14, pp. 635–654, 2011.
- J. Klafter, S. C. Lim, and R. Metzler, Eds., Fractional Dynamics. Recent Advances, World Scientific, Singapore, 2012.
- P. Grigolini, A. Rocco, and B. J. West, “Fractional calculus as a macroscopic manifestation of randomness,” Physical Review E, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 2603–2613, 1999.
- A. Rocco and B. J. West, “Fractional calculus and the evolution of fractal phenomena,” Physica A, vol. 265, pp. 535–546, 1999.
- W. R. Schneider, “Grey noise,” in Stochastic Processes, Physics and Geometry, S. Albeverio, G. Casati, U. Cattaneo, D. Merlini, and R. Moresi, Eds., pp. 676–681, World Scientific, Teaneck, NJ, USA, 1990.
- W. R. Schneider, “Grey noise,” in Ideas and Methods in Mathematical Analysis, Stochastics, and Applications, S. Albeverio, J. E. Fenstad, H. Holden, and T. Lindstrøm, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 261–282, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1992.
- A. Mura, Non-markovian stochastic processes and their applications: from anomalous diffusion to time series analysis [Ph.D. thesis], University of Bologna, 2008, Now available by Lambert Academic Publishing 2011.
- A. Mura and F. Mainardi, “A class of self-similar stochastic processes with stationary increments to model anomalous diffusion in physics,” Integral Transforms and Special Functions, vol. 20, no. 3-4, pp. 185–198, 2009.
- A. Mura and G. Pagnini, “Characterizations and simulations of a class of stochastic processes to model anomalous diffusion,” Journal of Physics A, vol. 41, no. 28, Article ID 285003, 2008.
- G. Pagnini, “Erdélyi-Kober fractional diffusion,” Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 117–127, 2012.
- R. Gorenflo and F. Mainardi, “Fractional calculus: integral and differential equations of fractional order,” in Fractals and Fractional Calculus in Continuum Mechanics, A. Carpinteri and F. Mainardi, Eds., pp. 223–276, Springer, 1997.
- F. Mainardi, Y. Luchko, and G. Pagnini, “The fundamental solution of the space-time fractional diffusion equation,” Fractional Calculus & Applied Analysis, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 153–192, 2001.
- A. Mura, M. S. Taqqu, and F. Mainardi, “Non-Markovian diffusion equations and processes: analysis and simulations,” Physica A, vol. 387, no. 21, pp. 5033–5064, 2008.
- F. Mainardi, A. Mura, and G. Pagnini, “The -Wright function in time-fractional diffusion processes: a tutorial survey,” International Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 2010, Article ID 104505, 29 pages, 2010.
- V. Kiryakova, Generalized Fractional Calculus and Applications, vol. 301, Longman Scientific & Technical, Harlow, UK, 1994.
- Y. Luchko, “Operational rules for a mixed operator of the Erdélyi-Kober type,” Fractional Calculus & Applied Analysis, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 339–364, 2004.
- Y. Luchko and J. J. Trujillo, “Caputo-type modification of the Erdélyi-Kober fractional derivative,” Fractional Calculus & Applied Analysis, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 249–267, 2007.
- F. Mainardi, Fractional Calculus and Waves in Linear Viscoelasticity, Imperial College Press, London, UK, 2010.
- I. Podlubny, Fractional Differential Equations, vol. 198, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1999.
- F. Mainardi, “Fractional relaxation-oscillation and fractional diffusion-wave phenomena,” Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 1461–1477, 1996.
- R. Gorenflo, Y. Luchko, and F. Mainardi, “Analytical properties and applications of the Wright function,” Fractional Calculus & Applied Analysis, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 383–414, 1999.
- R. Gorenflo, Y. Luchko, and F. Mainardi, “Wright functions as scale-invariant solutions of the diffusion-wave equation,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 118, no. 1-2, pp. 175–191, 2000.