- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Surgical Oncology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 415219, 5 pages
Microsurgical Reconstruction of Large, Locally Advanced Cutaneous Malignancy of the Head and Neck
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY 40536-0284, USA
Received 15 March 2011; Revised 28 July 2011; Accepted 22 August 2011
Academic Editor: André M. Eckardt
Copyright © 2011 Joseph L. Hill and Brian Rinker. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. L. Narayanan, R. N. Saladi, and J. L. Fox, “Ultraviolet radiation and skin cancer,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 978–986, 2010.
- P. Robins, “Skin Cancer,” http://www.skincancer.org/.
- A. Culliford and A. Hazen, “Dermatology for plastic surgeons,” in Grabb & Smith’s Plastic Surgery, C. H. Thorne, R. W. Beasley, S. J. Aston, S. P. Bartlett, G. C. Gurtner, and S. L. Spear, Eds., pp. 105–114, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Phliadelphia, Pa, USA, 2006.
- R. M. Barton, “Malignant tumors of the skin,” in Plastic Surgery, S. J. Mathes, Ed., pp. 273–304, Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2005.
- M. K. Wax, B. B. Burkey, D. Bascom, and E. L. Rosenthal, “The role of free tissue transfer in the reconstruction of massive neglected skin cancers of the head and neck,” Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 479–482, 2003.
- H. Levine, “Cutaneous carcinoma of the head and neck: management of massive and previously uncontrolled lesions,” Laryngoscope, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 87–105, 1983.
- N. Ford Jones, R. A. Hardesty, W. M. Swartz, S. S. Ramasastry, F. R. Heckler, and E. D. Newton, “Extensive and complex defects of the scalp, middle third of the face, and palate: the role of microsurgical reconstruction,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 82, no. 6, pp. 937–950, 1988.
- P. L. Lackey, L. A. Sargent, L. Wong, M. Brzezienski, and J. W. Kennedy, “Giant basal cell carcinoma surgical management and reconstructive challenges,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 250–254, 2007.
- D. McCombe, R. Donato, S. Hofer, and W. Morrison, “Free flaps in the treatment of locally advanced malignancy of the scalp and forehead,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 600–606, 2002.
- C. H. Wong and F. C. Wei, “Microsurgical free flap in head and neck reconstruction,” Head and Neck, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 1236–1245, 2010.
- B. S. Lutz and F. C. Wei, “Microsurgical workhorse flaps in head and neck reconstruction,” Clinics in Plastic Surgery, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 421–430, 2005.
- J. J. Disa, A. L. Pusic, D. H. Hidalgo, and P. G. Cordeiro, “Simplifying microvascular head and neck reconstruction: a rational approach to donor site selection,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 385–389, 2001.
- X. F. Yang, L. Wen, F. Shen et al., “Surgical complications secondary to decompressive craniectomy in patients with a head injury: a series of 108 consecutive cases,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 150, no. 12, pp. 1241–1247, 2008.
- P. A. Winkler, W. Stummer, R. Linke, K. G. Krishnan, and K. Tatsch, “Influence of cranioplasty on postural blood flow regulation, cerebrovascular reserve capacity, and cerebral glucose metabolism,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 53–61, 2000.
- S. I. Stiver, “Complications of decompressive craniectomy for traumatic brain injury,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1–16, 2009.
- C. Lee, O. M. Antonyshyn, and C. R. Forrest, “Cranioplasty: indications, technique, and early results of autogenous split skull cranial vault reconstruction,” Journal of Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 133–142, 1995.
- Y. R. Cho and A. K. Gosain, “Biomaterials in craniofacial reconstruction,” Clinics in Plastic Surgery, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 377–385, 2004.
- V. Chang, P. Hartzfeld, M. Langlois, A. Mahmood, and D. Seyfried, “Outcomes of cranial repair after craniectomy,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1120–1124, 2010.
- M. M. Hanasono, J. C. Lee, J. S. Yang, R. J. Skoracki, G. P. Reece, and B. Esmaeli, “An algorithmic approach to reconstructive surgery and prosthetic rehabilitation after orbital exenteration,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 98–105, 2009.
- M. D. Wells and E. A. Luce, “Reconstruction of midfacial defects after surgical resection of malignancies,” Clinics in Plastic Surgery, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 79–89, 1995.
- C. M. McCarthy and P. G. Cordeiro, “Microvascular reconstruction of oncologic defects of the midface,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 1947–1959, 2010.