- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Surgical Oncology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 123596, 6 pages
Renal Preservation Therapy for Renal Cell Carcinoma
1Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Taipei City Hospital, Zhongxiao Branch, Taipei 115, Taiwan
2School of Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
Received 17 March 2012; Accepted 12 July 2012
Academic Editor: Frederik C. Roos
Copyright © 2012 Yichun Chiu and Allen W. Chiu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Hollingsworth, D. C. Miller, S. Daignault, and B. K. Hollenbeck, “Rising incidence of small renal masses: a need to reassess treatment effect,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 98, no. 18, pp. 1331–1334, 2006.
- J. M. Hollingsworth, D. C. Miller, S. Daignault, and B. K. Hollenbeck, “Five-year survival after surgical treatment for kidney cancer: a population-based competing risk analysis,” Cancer, vol. 109, no. 9, pp. 1763–1768, 2007.
- R. A. Rendon and M. A. S. Jewett, “Expectant management for the treatment of small renal masses,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 62–67, 2006.
- M. Remzi, M. Özsoy, H. C. Klingler et al., “Are small renal tumors harmless? Analysis of histopathological features according to tumors 4 Cm or less in diameter,” Journal of Urology, vol. 176, no. 3, pp. 896–899, 2006.
- A. T. Wang, J. K. Wang, V. M. Montori, and M. H. Murad, “Comparative effectiveness research in urology,” World Journal of Urology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 277–282, 2011.
- W. S. McDougal, D. A. Gervais, F. J. McGovern, and P. R. Mueller, “Long-term followup of patients with renal cell carcinoma treated with radio frequency ablation with curative intent,” Journal of Urology, vol. 174, no. 1, pp. 61–63, 2005.
- A. W. Levinson, L. M. Su, D. Agarwal et al., “Long-term oncological and overall outcomes of percutaneous radio frequency ablation in high risk surgical patients with a solitary small renal mass,” Journal of Urology, vol. 180, no. 2, pp. 499–504, 2008.
- C. R. Tracy, W. Kabbani, and J. A. Cadeddu, “Irreversible electroporation (IRE): a novel method for renal tissue ablation,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 107, no. 12, pp. 1982–1987, 2011.
- P. E. Davol, B. R. Fulmer, and D. B. Rukstalis, “Long-term results of cryoablation for renal cancer and complex renal masses,” Urology, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 2–6, 2006.
- K. J. Weld, R. S. Figenshau, R. Venkatesh et al., “Laparoscopic cryoablation for small renal masses: three-year follow-up,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 448–451, 2007.
- M. Aron, K. Kamoi, E. Remer, A. Berger, M. Desai, and I. Gill, “Laparoscopic renal cryoablation: 8-year, single surgeon outcomes,” Journal of Urology, vol. 183, no. 3, pp. 889–895, 2010.
- G. Guazzoni, A. Cestari, N. Buffi et al., “Oncologic results of laparoscopic renal cryoablation for clinical T1a tumors: 8 years of experience in a single institution,” Urology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 624–629, 2010.
- P. W. T. Beemster, K. Barwari, C. Mamoulakis, H. Wijkstra, J. J. M. C. H. De La Rosette, and M. P. Laguna, “Laparoscopic renal cryoablation using ultrathin 17-gauge cryoprobes: mid-term oncological and functional results,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 577–582, 2011.
- E. O. Olweny, S. K. Park, Y. K. Tan, S. L. Best, C. Trimmer, and J. A. Cadeddu, “Radiofrequency ablation versus partial nephrectomy in patients with solitary clinical T1a renal cell carcinoma: comparable oncologic outcomes at a minimum of 5 years of follow-up,” European Urology, vol. 61, pp. 1156–1161, 2012.
- B. R. Lane, R. Abouassaly, T. Gao et al., “Active treatment of localized renal tumors may not impact overall survival in patients aged 75 years or older,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 13, pp. 3119–3126, 2010.
- M. A. S. Jewett, K. Mattar, J. Basiuk et al., “Active surveillance of small renal masses: progression patterns of early stage kidney cancer,” European Urology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 39–44, 2011.
- R. J. Mason, M. Abdolell, G. Trottier et al., “Growth kinetics of renal masses: analysis of a prospective cohort of patients undergoing active surveillance,” European Urology, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 863–867, 2011.
- J. C. Rosales, G. Haramis, J. Moreno et al., “Active surveillance for renal cortical neoplasms,” Journal of Urology, vol. 183, no. 5, pp. 1698–1702, 2010.
- P. L. Crispen, R. Viterbo, S. A. Boorjian, R. E. Greenberg, D. Y. T. Chen, and R. G. Uzzo, “Natural history, growth kinetics, and outcomes of untreated clinically localized renal tumors under active surveillance,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 13, pp. 2844–2852, 2009.
- R. Abouassaly, B. R. Lane, and A. C. Novick, “Active surveillance of renal masses in elderly patients,” Journal of Urology, vol. 180, no. 2, pp. 505–509, 2008.
- A. C. Mues and J. Landman, “Small renal masses: current concepts regarding the natural history and reflections on the American Urological Association guidelines,” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 105–110, 2010.
- B. Ljungberg, N. C. Cowan, D. C. Hanbury et al., “EAU guidelines on renal cell carcinoma: the 2010 update,” European Urology, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 398–406, 2010.
- R. El Dib, N. J. Touma, and A. Kapoor, “Cryoablation vs radiofrequency ablation for the treatment of renal cell carcinoma: a meta-analysis of case series studies,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 510–516, 2012.
- C. J. Long, A. Kutikov, D. J. Canter et al., “Percutaneous vs surgical cryoablation of the small renal mass: is efficacy compromised?” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 107, no. 9, pp. 1376–1380, 2011.
- S. F. Matin, K. Ahrar, J. A. Cadeddu et al., “Residual and recurrent disease following renal energy ablative therapy: a multi-institutional study,” Journal of Urology, vol. 176, no. 5, pp. 1973–1977, 2006.
- D. A. Kunkle and R. G. Uzzo, “Cryoablation or radiofrequency ablation of the small renal mass: a meta-analysis,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 10, pp. 2671–2680, 2008.
- P. Gontero, S. Joniau, A. Zitella et al., “Ablative therapies in the treatment of small renal tumors: how far from standard of care?” Urologic Oncology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 251–259, 2010.
- I. S. Gill, L. R. Kavoussi, B. R. Lane et al., “Comparison of 1,800 laparoscopic and open partial nephrectomies for single renal tumors,” Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2007.
- I. S. Gill, K. Kamoi, M. Aron, and M. M. Desai, “800 laparoscopic partial nephrectomies: a single surgeon series,” Journal of Urology, vol. 183, no. 1, pp. 34–42, 2010.
- B. M. Benway, S. B. Bhayani, C. G. Rogers et al., “Robot-assisted partial nephrectomy: an international experience,” European Urology, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 815–820, 2010.
- L. M. Dulabon, J. H. Kaouk, G. P. Haber et al., “Multi-institutional analysis of robotic partial nephrectomy for hilar versus nonhilar lesions in 446 consecutive cases,” European Urology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 325–330, 2011.
- J.-A. Long, R. Yakoubi, B. Lee, et al., “Robotics versus laparoscopic partial nephrectomy for complex tumors: comparison of perioperative outcomes,” European Urology, vol. 61, pp. 1257–1262, 2012.
- K. U. Köhrmann, M. S. Michel, J. Gaa, E. Marlinghaus, and P. Alken, “High intensity focused ultrasound as noninvasive therapy for multilocal renal cell carcinoma: case study and review of the literature,” Journal of Urology, vol. 167, no. 6, pp. 2397–2403, 2002.
- A. Häcker, D. Dinter, M. S. Michel, and P. Alken, “High-intensity focused ultrasound as a treatment option in renal cell carcinoma,” Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1053–1059, 2005.
- S. N. Chawla, P. L. Crispen, A. L. Hanlon, R. E. Greenberg, D. Y. T. Chen, and R. G. Uzzo, “The natural history of observed enhancing renal masses: meta-analysis and review of the world literature,” Journal of Urology, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 425–431, 2006.
- G. Orgera, M. Krokidis, L. Monfardini, et al., “Ultrasound-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (USgHIFU) ablation in pancreatic metastasis from renal cell carcinoma,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology. In press.
- P. Russo, “Oncological outcomes of partial nephrectomy for renal carcinoma greater than 4 cm,” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 362–367, 2011.
- H. N. Winfield, J. F. Donovan, A. S. Godet, and R. V. Clayman, “Laparoscopic partial nephrectomy: initial case report for benign disease,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 521–526, 1993.
- E. M. McDougall, R. V. Clayman, P. S. Chandhoke et al., “Laparoscopic partial nephrectomy in the pig model,” Journal of Urology, vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 1633–1636, 1993.
- R. H. Thompson, B. R. Lane, C. M. Lohse et al., “Every minute counts when the renal hilum is clamped during partial nephrectomy,” European Urology, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 340–345, 2010.
- F. Becker, H. Van Poppel, O. W. Hakenberg et al., “Assessing the impact of ischaemia time during partial nephrectomy,” European Urology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 625–635, 2009.
- M. S. Eisenberg, M. B. Patil, D. Thangathurai, and I. S. Gill, “Innovations in laparoscopic and robotic partial nephrectomy: a novel “zero ischemia” technique,” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 93–98, 2011.
- D. P. Viprakasit, H. O. Altamar, N. L. Miller, and S. D. Herrell, “Selective renal parenchymal clamping in robotic partial nephrectomy: initial experience,” Urology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 750–753, 2010.
- M. T. Gettman, M. L. Blute, G. K. Chow, R. Neururer, G. Bartsch, and R. Peschel, “Robotic-assisted laparoscopic partial nephrectomy: technique and initial clinical experience with daVinci robotic system,” Urology, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 914–918, 2004.
- G. Spana, G. P. Haber, L. M. Dulabon et al., “Complications after robotic partial nephrectomy at centers of excellence: multi-institutional analysis of 450 cases,” Journal of Urology, vol. 186, no. 2, pp. 417–421, 2011.