- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Surgical Oncology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 309439, 7 pages
Strategies to Evaluate Synchronous Carcinomas of the Colon and Rectum in Patients That Present for Emergent Surgery
Department of Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, 10 Union Square East, Suite 2M,
New York, NY 10003, USA
Received 3 September 2012; Revised 10 January 2013; Accepted 10 January 2013
Academic Editor: S. Curley
Copyright © 2013 Jennifer L. Agnew et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, E. Ward, Y. Hao, J. Xu, and M. J. Thun, “Cancer statistics, 2009,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 225–249, 2009.
- J. M. Jessup, H. R. Menck, A. Fremgen, and D. P. Winchester, “Diagnosing colorectal carcinoma: clinical and molecular approaches,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 70–92, 1997.
- M. Peeters, D. G. Haller, S. R. ALberts, R. M. Goldberg, and R. Smith, “Therapy for early-stage colorectal cancer,” Oncology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 307–321, 1999.
- AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, 2002.
- F. L. Greene, A. K. Stewart, H. J. Norton, and A. M. Cohen, “A new TNM staging strategy for node-positive (stage III) colon cancer: an analysis of 50,042 patients,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 236, no. 4, pp. 416–421, 2002.
- E. T. Hawk, P. J. Limburg, and J. L. Viner, “Epidemiology and prevention of colorectal cancer,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 905–941, 2002.
- R. Fante, L. Roncucci, C. Di Gregorio et al., “Frequency and clinical features of multiple tumors of the large bowel in the general population and in patients with hereditary colorectal carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 77, no. 10, pp. 2013–2021, 1996.
- R. B. Arenas, A. Fichera, D. Mhoon, and F. Michelassi, “Incidence and therapeutic implications of synchronous colonic pathology in colorectal adenocarcinoma,” Surgery, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 706–710, 1997.
- W. J. Cunliffe, P. S. Hasleton, D. E. F. Tweedle, and P. F. Schofield, “Incidence of synchronous and metachronous colorectal carcinoma,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 71, no. 12, pp. 941–943, 1984.
- E. Brullet, J. M. Montane, J. Bombardo, X. Bonfill, M. Nogue, and J. M. Bordas, “Intraoperative colonoscopy in patients with colorectal cancer,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 79, no. 12, pp. 1376–1378, 1992.
- F. J. Burns, “Synchronous and metachronous malignancies of the colon and rectum,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 578–579, 1980.
- J. M. Langevin and S. Nivatvongs, “The true incidence of synchronous cancer of the large bowel. A prospective study,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 330–333, 1984.
- A. I. Neugut, E. Lautenbach, B. Abi-Rached, and K. A. Forde, “Incidence of adenomas after curative resection for colorectal cancer,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 91, no. 10, pp. 2096–2098, 1996.
- M. A. Passman, R. F. Pommier, and J. T. Vetto, “Synchronous colon primaries have the same prognosis as solitary colon cancers,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 329–334, 1996.
- H. S. Chen and S. M. Sheen-Chen, “Synchronous and 'Early' metachronous colorectal adenocarcinoma: analysis of prognosis and current trends,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 1093–1099, 2000.
- M. Neerincx, J. S. Terhaar Sive Droste, C. J. J. Mulder et al., “Colonic work-up after incomplete colonoscopy: significant new findings during follow-up,” Endoscopy, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 730–735, 2010.
- J. Toma, L. F. Paszat, N. Gunraj, and L. Rabeneck, “Rates of new or missed colorectal cancer after barium enema and their risk factors: a population-based study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 12, pp. 3142–3148, 2008.
- M. M. Morrin, R. J. Farrell, V. Raptopoulos, J. B. McGee, R. Bleday, and J. B. Kruskal, “Role of virtual computed tomographic colonography in patients with colorectal cancers and obstructing colorectal lesions,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 303–311, 2000.
- D. Giglio, A. Di Muria, A. Marano et al., “Urgent management of obstructing colo-rectal cancer: authors' experience,” Annali Italiani di Chirurgia, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 35–39, 2004.
- R. Cirocchi, M. Coccetta, D. Giuliani et al., “Virtual colonoscopy in stenosing colorectal cancer,” Chirurgia Italiana, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 233–236, 2008.
- T. Y. Y. Wong, W. W. M. Lam, N. M. C. So, J. F. Y. Lee, and K. L. Leung, “Air-inflated magnetic resonance colonography in patients with incomplete conventional colonoscopy: comparison with intraoperative findings, pathology specimens, and follow-up conventional colonoscopy,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 2007.
- I. M. Leitman, J. D. Sullivan, D. Brams, and J. J. DeCosse, “Multivariate analysis of morbidity and mortality from the initial surgical management of obstructing carcinoma of the colon,” Surgery Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 174, no. 6, pp. 513–518, 1992.
- D. K. Brief, B. J. Brener, R. Goldenkranz et al., “Defining the role of subtotal colectomy in the treatment of carcinoma of the colon,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 213, no. 3, pp. 248–252, 1991.
- A. Gainant, “Emergency management of acute colonic cancer obstruction,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. e3–e10, 2012.
- The SCOTIA Study Group, “Single-stage treatment for malignant left-sided colonic obstruction: a prospective randomized clinical trial comparing subtotal colectomy with segmental resection following intraoperative irrigation. Subtotal Colectomy versus On-table Irrigation and Anastomosis,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 1622–1627, 1995.
- E. G. Muir, “Safety in colonic resection,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 61, pp. 401–408, 1968.
- H. A. F. Dudley, A. G. Radcliffe, and D. McGeehan, “Intraoperative irrigation of the colon to permit primary anastomosis,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 80–81, 1980.
- U. C. Park, S. S. Chung, K. R. Kim et al., “Single-stage procedure with intraoperative colonoscopy and colonic irrigation in patients with obstructing left-sided colonic cancer,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 487–492, 2004.
- O. Büyükgebiz, “In-sleeve on-table colonic irrigation in telescopic fashion and intraoperative colonoscopy: a novel technique,” Turkish Journal of Trauma & Emergency Surgery, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 323–326, 2010.
- R. J. Heald and H. J. R. Bussey, “Clinical experiences at St. Mark's Hospital with multiple synchronous cancers of the colon and rectum,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 6–10, 1975.
- K. Nakajima, S. W. Lee, T. Sonoda, and J. W. Milsom, “Intraoperative carbon dioxide colonoscopy: a safe insufflation alternative for locating colonic lesions during laparoscopic surgery,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 321–325, 2005.
- K. Sasaki, S. Kazama, E. Sunami et al., “One-stage segmental colectomy and primary anastomosis after intraoperative colonic irrigation and total colonoscopy for patients with obstruction due to left-sided colorectal cancer,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 72–78, 2012.
- M. S. Kim and Y. J. Park, “Detection and treatment of synchronous lesions in colorectal cancer: the clinical implication of perioperative colonoscopy,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 30, pp. 4108–4111, 2007.
- K. J. Buechter, C. Boustany, R. Caillouette, and I. Cohn, “Surgical management of the acutely obstructed colon. A review of 127 cases,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 156, no. 3, pp. 163–168, 1988.
- B. Bohm, W. Schwenk, H. P. Hucke, and W. Stock, “Does methodic long-term follow-up affect survival after curative resection of colorectal carcinoma?” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 280–286, 1993.
- S. Galandiuk, H. S. Wieand, C. G. Moertel et al., “Patterns of recurrence after curative resection of carcinoma of the colon and rectum,” Surgery Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 174, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 1992.
- A. Scheer and R. A. C. Auer, “Surveillance after curative resection of colorectal cancer,” Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 242–250, 2009.
- S. A. Mulder, R. Kranse, R. A. Damhuis, R. J. Ouwendijk, E. J. Kuipers, and M. E. van Leerdam, “The incidence and risk factors of metachronous colorectal cancer: an indication for follow-up,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 522–531, 2012.
- D. Couch, N. Bullen, S. Ward-Booth, and C. Adams, “What interval between colorectal resection and first surveillance colonoscopy? An audit of practice and yield,” Colorectal Disease, 2012.
- H. J. Kim, S. H. Park, P. J. Pickhardt et al., “CT colonography for combined colonic and extracolonic surveillance after curative resection of colorectal cancer,” Radiology, vol. 257, no. 3, pp. 697–704, 2010.