- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 406753, 9 pages
Delivering Diagnostic Quality Video over Mobile Wireless Networks for Telemedicine
1AEC Automotive, Texas Instruments Inc. Stafford, TX 77477, USA
2School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
3Center for Telehealth, School of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
4Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Received 4 August 2008; Revised 22 December 2008; Accepted 26 February 2009
Academic Editor: Fei Hu
Copyright © 2009 Sira P. Rao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Stamford, T. Bickford, H. Hsiao, and W. Mattern, “The significance of telemedicine in a rural emergency department,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 45–52, 1999.
- D. Kofos, R. Pitetti, R. Orr, and A. Thompson, “Telemedicine in pediatric transport: a feasibility study,” Pediatrics, vol. 102, no. 5, p. e58, 1998.
- S. K. Yoo, K. M. Kim, S. M. Jung, K. J. Lee, and N. H. Kim, “Design of multimedia telemedicine system for inter-hospital consultation,” in Proceedings of the 26th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS '04), vol. 2, pp. 3109–3111, San Francisco, Calif, USA, September 2004.
- R.-Y. Qiao, K. Bengston, A. Krumm-Heller, and M. Hogan, “A critical care telemedicine system on broadband IP networks,” in Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications (APCC '05), pp. 852–856, Perth, Australia, October 2005.
- S. Wang, S. B. Lee, C. Pardue, et al., “Remote evaluation of acute ischemic stroke: reliability of National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale via telestroke,” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. e188–e191, 2003.
- C. Kugean, S. M. Krishnan, O. Chutatape, S. Swaminathan, N. Srinivasan, and P. Wang, “Design of a mobile telemedicine system with wireless LAN,” in Proceedings of IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems (APCCAS '02), vol. 1, pp. 313–316, Singapore, December 2002.
- K. A. Banitsas, S. Tachakra, and Y. H. Song, “Adjusting DICOM specifications when using wireless LANs: the MedLAN example,” in Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS '03), vol. 4, pp. 3661–3664, Cancun, Mexico, September 2003.
- Y. Chu and A. Ganz, “A mobile teletrauma system using 3G networks,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 456–462, 2004.
- A. C.-W. Wong and Y.-K. Kwok, “On a region-of-interest based approach to robust wireless video transmission,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Parallel Architectures, Algorithms and Networks (I-SPAN '04), pp. 385–390, Hong Kong, May 2004.
- D. Chai, K. N. Ngan, and A. Bouzerdoum, “Foreground/background bit allocation for region-of-interest coding,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '00), vol. 2, pp. 923–926, Vancouver, Canada, September 2000.
- S. B. Gokturk, C. Tomasi, B. Girod, and C. Beaulieu, “Medical image compression based on region of interest, with application to colon CT images,” in Proceedings of the 23rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS '01), vol. 3, pp. 2453–2456, Istanbul, Turkey, October 2001.
- D. Gibson, M. Spann, and S. I. Woolley, “A wavelet-based region of interest encoder for the compression of angiogram video sequences,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 103–113, 2004.
- M.-J. Chen, M.-C. Chi, C.-T. Hsu, and J.-W. Chen, “ROI video coding based on H.263+ with robust skin-color detection technique,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 724–730, 2003.
- S. Naegele-Jackson, P. Holleczek, T. Rabenstein, J. Maiss, and M. Sackmann, “Influence of compression and network impairments on the picture quality of video transmissions in tele-medicine,” in Proceedings of the 35th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS '02), pp. 2060–2068, Big Island, Hawaii, USA, January 2002.
- M. G. Martini and M. Mazzotti, “Quality driven wireless video transmission for medical applications,” in Proceedings of the 28th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS '06), vol. 1, pp. 3254–3257, New York, NY, USA, August-September 2006.
- R. Ashraf and M. Akbar, “Diagnostically lossless compression of medical images-2,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Signal Processing and Its Applications (ISSPA '05), vol. 1, pp. 227–230, Sydney, Australia, August 2005.
- D. Gibson, M. Spann, and S. I. Woolley, “Diagnostically lossless 3D wavelet compression for digital angiogram video,” in Proceedings of the Data Compression Conference (DCC '02), p. 454, Snowbird, Utah, USA, April 2002.
- M. E. Stachura, S. P. Rao, E. V. Khasanshina, A. Pearson-Shaver, and S. L. Robertson, “Region of interest video compression: delivering diagnostic quality video over limited throughput mobile telemedicine networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd IASTED International Conference on Telehealth, pp. 176–181, Montreal, Canada, May-June 2007.
- N. S. Jayant, S. P. Rao, E. Khasanshina, and M. E. Stachura, “A rigorous technical framework for video communications for mobile telehealth,” in Proceedings of the 12th Annual International Meeting and Exposition of the American Telemedicine Association Annual Conference (ATA '07), Nashville, Tenn, USA, May 2007, abstract no.T4D4, Telemedicine and e-Health, vol. 13, no. 2, p. 194.