- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 853524, 9 pages
Primary Care Physicians' Experience with Electronic Medical Records: Barriers to Implementation in a Fee-for-Service Environment
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2G8, Canada
2Sherwood Park - Strathcona County Primary Care Network, Sherwood Park, Alberta, T8A 4W6, Canada
3TRLabs, #401, 9426, 51 Avenue NW, Edmonton, Alberta, T6E 5A6, Canada
Received 29 April 2008; Revised 19 September 2008; Accepted 8 October 2008
Academic Editor: Hui Chen
Copyright © 2009 D. A. Ludwick and John Doucette. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- The Change Foundation, “Rising Tide—Understanding Demand in Health Care,” Toronto, Ontario, Canada, May 2005.
- “U.S. Interim Projections by Age, Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin: 2000–2050,” Washington, DC: U.S. Census Bureau; 2004, http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/usinterimproj/.
- S. Starky, “The Obesity Epidemic in Canada,” Library of Parliament. Parliamentary Information and Research Service, July 2005.
- Alberta Agriculture and Food, “Canadian Consumer Trends in Obesity and Food Consumption,” February 2008, http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/sis8438.
- Statistics Canada. The Daily, “Canadian Community Health Survey: Obesity among children and adults,” February 2008, http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/050706/d050706a.htm.
- Canadian Institute for Health Information, “Analytical Bulletin: 2004 National Physician Survey Response Rates and Comparability of Physician Demographic,” 2005.
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada, Canadian Medical Association, The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, “2007 National Physician Survey: National Demographics,” Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 2007.
- Canadian Institute for Health Information, “Canada's Health Care Providers,” Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 2001.
- Canadian Institute for Health Information, “Health Care in Canada,” Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 2001.
- The Change Management Foundation, “The Demand Management Think Tank. Backgrounder on Demand Management,” Toronto, Ontario, Canada, January 2002.
- S. D. Backgrounder, “Infoway's Vision,” Canada Health Infoway, 2006.
- D. K. McInnes, D. C. Saltman, and M. R. Kidd, “General practitioners' use of computers for prescribing and electronic health records: results from a national survey,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 185, no. 2, pp. 88–91, 2006.
- Health Canada, “EMR Toolkit: implementing electronic medical records in primary health care settings,” January 2008, http://www.emrtoolkit.ca.
- C. Bossen, “Test the artefact—develop the organization: the implementation of an electronic medication plan,” International Journal of Medical Informatics, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2007.
- B. Gamble, “Using IT to make primary care reform work for you,” Future Practice, pp. 10–11, April 2006.
- D. M. Schuster, S. E. Hall, C. B. Couse, D. S. Swayngim, and K. Y. Kohatsu, “Involving users in the implementation of an imaging order entry system,” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 315–321, 2003.
- “Personal observations and conversations with Sherwood Park—Strathcona County PCN primary care physicians,” November 2007 to March 2008.
- Y. Y. Han, J. A. Carcillo, S. T. Venkataraman, et al., “Unexpected increased mortality after implementation of a commercially sold computerized physician order entry system,” Pediatrics, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. 1506–1512, 2005.
- R. Koppel, J. P. Metlay, A. Cohen, et al., “Role of computerized physician order entry systems in facilitating medication errors,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 293, no. 10, pp. 1197–1203, 2005.
- D. A. Ludwick, “Computerized Physician Order Entry in Pediatric Intensive Care Units: A Critical Appraisal of Three Articles Illustrating the Importance of Organizational Considerations in a CPOE Implementation, Version 1.7,” October 2007.
- D. A. Ludwick and J. Doucette, “Adopting electronic medical records in primary care: lessons learned from health information systems implementation experience in seven countries,” International Journal of Medical Informatics. In press.
- Statistics Canada, “Census of Population and Housing. 2006 Census Profile for Edmonton—Sherwood Park, FED,” Produced by BC Stats, October 2007, http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/cen06/profiles/detailed/FED48016.pdf.
- Statistics Canada, “2006 Census release dates,” March 2008, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_2006_Census.
- Primary Care Initiative, Alberta, “What is Primary Care?,” September 2007, http://www.primarycareinitiative.ab.ca/content.asp?id=142.
- “Electronic medical record,” Wikipedia, January 2008, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_medical_record.
- “Practice management,” Wikipedia, January 2008, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practice_management .
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada, “Electronic Medical Record,” December 2007, http://toolkit.cfpc.ca/en/information-technology/electronic-medical-record.php.
- Physician Office System Program, “Testimonials,” December 2007, http://www.posp.ab.ca/testimonials/.
- J. S. Ash, D. F. Sittig, R. H. Dykstra, K. Guappone, J. D. Carpenter, and V. Seshadri, “Categorizing the unintended sociotechnical consequences of computerized provider order entry,” International Journal of Medical Informatics, vol. 76, pp. S21–S27, 2007.
- M. Reddy, W. Pratt, P. Dourish, and M. M. Shabot, “Sociotechnical requirements analysis for clinical systems,” Methods of Information in Medicine, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 437–444, 2003.
- A. X. Garg, N. K. J. Adhikari, H. McDonald, et al., “Effects of computerized clinical decision support systems on practitioner performance and patient outcomes: a systematic review,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 293, no. 10, pp. 1223–1238, 2005.
- S. T. Rosenbloom, F. E. Harrell, Jr., C. U. Lehmann, J. H. Schneider, S. A. Spooner, and K. B. Johnson, “Perceived increase in mortality after process and policy changes implemented with computerized physician order entry,” Pediatrics, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 1452–1455, 2006.
- Royal College of General Practitioners, “Putting IT into the NHS: all about NPfIT and the national “data spine”,” The New Generalist, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 59–60, 2003.
- E. Van Ekert and A. Took, “Cautionary Tales,” July 2006.
- D. E. Trachtenbarg, “EHRs fix everything—and nine other myths,” Family Practice Management, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 26–30, 2007.
- R. Boaden and P. Joyce, “Developing the electronic health record: what about patient safety?,” Health Services Management Research, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 94–104, 2006.
- R. L. Wears and M. Berg, “Computer technology and clinical work: still waiting for godot,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 293, no. 10, pp. 1261–1263, 2005.
- M. J. Ball, D. E. Garets, and T. J. Handler, “Leveraging information technology towards enhancing patient care and a culture of safety in the U.S,” Methods of Information in Medicine, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 503–508, 2003.
- N. Ferris, “IT no cure-all for prescription errors,” Government Health IT. December 2007, http://www.govhealthit.com/online/news/89944-1.html.
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada, “Enabling Factors,” December 2007, http://toolkit.cfpc.ca/en/information-technology/financial-support.php.
- J. Henderson, H. Britt, and G. Miller, “Extent and utilisation of computerisation in Australian general practice,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 185, no. 2, pp. 84–87, 2006.
- Canadian Medical Association, “Have paper records passed their time?,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 173, no. 7, p. 725, 2005.
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology, “CCHIT certified electronic health records reduce malpractice risk the case for offering liability insurance premium credits to physicians who use them,” 2007.
- R. T. O'Connell, C. Cho, N. Shah, K. Brown, and R. N. Shiffman, “Take note(s): differential EHR satisfaction with two implementations under one roof,” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 43–49, 2004.
- A. Ahmad, P. Teater, T. D. Bentley, et al., “Key attributes of a successful physician order entry system implementation in a multi-hospital environment,” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 16–24, 2002.
- J. Øvretveit, T. Scott, T. G. Rundall, S. M. Shortell, and M. Brommels, “Improving quality through effective implementation of information technology in healthcare,” International Journal for Quality in Health Care, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 259–266, 2007.
- J. M. McGrath, N. H. Arar, and J. A. Pugh, “The influence of electronic medical record usage on nonverbal communication in the medical interview,” Health Informatics Journal, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 105–117, 2007.
- B. N. Doebbeling, A. F. Chou, and W. M. Tierney, “Priorities and strategies for the implementation of integrated informatics and communications technology to improve evidence-based practice,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 21, pp. S50–S57, 2006.
- J. Holtschlag, “Successful implementation strategies,” in Ubiquity: Technologies for Better Health in Aging Societies, pp. 705–710, IOS Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2006.
- R. Delaney, “Smiling all the way,” Health Care & Informatics Review, vol. 8, no. 2, 2004.
- J. S. Luo, “Computer physician order entry: to implement or not?,” Primary Psychiatry, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 19–21, 2006.
- A. S. Gosling, J. I. Westbrook, and R. Spencer, “Nurses' use of online clinical evidence,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 201–211, 2004.
- E. G. Poon, D. Blumenthal, T. Jaggi, M. M. Honour, D. W. Bates, and R. Kaushal, “Overcoming barriers to adopting and implementing computerized physician order entry systems in U.S. hospitals,” Health Affairs, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 184–190, 2004.
- D. Protti, “International experiences in implementing ‘single care’ record approaches,” NHS Connecting for Health, Management Brief no. 6, October 2007.
- M. A. Del Beccaro, H. E. Jeffries, M. A. Eisenberg, and E. D. Harry, “Computerized provider order entry implementation: no association with increased mortality rates in an intensive care unit,” Pediatrics, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 290–295, 2006.
- D. Martin, J. Mariani, and M. Rouncefield, “Implementing an HIS project: everyday features and practicalities of NHS project work,” Health Informatics Journal, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 303–313, 2004.
- D. Miranda, W. Fields, and K. Lund, “Lessons learned during 15 years of clinical information system experience,” Computers in Nursing, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 147–151, 2001.
- Doctor's Office Quality—Information Technology, “Common Implementation Problems,” 2007.
- Doctor's Office Quality—Information Technology, “EHR Implementation Options Incremental vs. Big Bang: Comparing Approaches,” 2007.
- Health Informatics Society of Australia, “A Vision for an Australian Healthcare System Transformed by Health Informatics,” November 2007.
- C. Duggan, “Implementation evaluation: HIM professionals share their experiences bringing health IT online,” Journal of the American Health Information Management Association, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 52–55, 2006.
- American Academy of Family Physicians, Keys to Success, 2007.
- R. Didham and I. Martin, “A review of computerised information technology systems in general practice medicine,” Health Care & Informatics Review, vol. 8, no. 1, 2004.
- eGovernment News, “UK: Staff disengagement could stall UK's health IT programme, says study,” August 2005.
- F. R. Elevitch, “SNOMED CT: electronic health record enhances anesthesia patient safety,” AANA Journal, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 361–366, 2005.
- Health Council of Canada, “Wading through Wait Times. What Do Meaningful Reductions and Guarantees Mean? An Update on Wait Times for Health Care,” June 2007, http://healthcouncilcanada.ca/docs/rpts/2007/wait_times/hcc_wait-times-update_200706_FINAL ENGLISH.pdf.
- Canadian Medical Association, “IT in General Practice: A 10-country comparison,” March 2008, http://www.cma.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/49047/la_id/1.htm.
- A. Mehrabian, Silent Messages, Wadsworth, Belmont, Calif, USA, 2008.
- T. E. Robinson, II, G. L. White, Jr., and J. C. Houchins, “Improving communication with older patients: tips from the literature,” Family Practice Management, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 73–78, 2006.
- R. L. Edsall and K. G. Adler, “User satisfaction with EHRs: report of a survey of 422 family physicians,” Family Practice Management, vol. 15, no. 2, 2008.