- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 127519, 14 pages
Flexible Macroblock Ordering for Context-Aware Ultrasound Video Transmission over Mobile WiMAX
Wireless Multimedia Networking Research Group, Kingston University, London, UK
Received 6 December 2009; Accepted 13 May 2010
Academic Editor: Tasos Dagiuklas
Copyright © 2010 Maria G. Martini and Chaminda T. E. R. Hewage. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Sublett, B. Dempsey, and A. C. Weaver, “Design and implementation of a digital teleultrasound system for real-time remote diagnosis,” in Proceedings of the 8th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, pp. 292–299, Lubbock, Tex, USA, June1995.
- R. Ribeiro, R. Conceição, J. A. Rafael et al., “Teleconsultation for cooperative acquisition, analysis and reporting of ultrasound studies,” Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, vol. 5, supplement 1, pp. 78–79, 1999.
- D. DeCunha, P. Gravez, C. Leroy, et al., “The MIDSTEP system for ultrasound guided remote telesurgery,” in Proceedings of the 20th International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, vol. 3, pp. 1266–1269, Hong Kong, 1998.
- G. Kontaxakis, S. Walter, and G. Sakas, “EU-TeleInViVo: an integrated portable telemedicine workstation featuring acquisition, processing and transmission over low-bandwidth lines of 3D ultrasound volume images,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Information Technology Applications in Biomedicine (EMBS '00), pp. 158–163, Arlington, Va, USA, November 2000.
- K. Masuda, E. Kimura, N. Tateishi, and K. Ishihara, “Development of remote echographic diagnosis system by using probe movable mechanism and transferring echogram via high speed digital network,” in Proceedings of the 9th Mediterranean Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing (MEDICON '01), pp. 96–98, Pula, Croatia, June 2001.
- P. C. Cosman, H. C. Davidson, C. J. Bergin et al., “Thoracic CT images: effect of lossy image compression on diagnostic accuracy,” Radiology, vol. 190, no. 2, pp. 517–524, 1994.
- H. Yu, Z. Lin, and F. Pan, “Applications and improvement of H.264 in medical video compression,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 2707–2716, 2005.
- S. Moir and T. H. Marwick, “Combination of contrast with stress echocardiography: a practical guide to methods and interpretation,” Cardiovascular Ultrasound, vol. 2, article 15, 2004.
- B. Li, Y. Qin, C. P. Low, and C. L. Gwee, “A survey on mobile WiMAX,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 70–75, 2007.
- K. H. Teo, Z. Tao, and J. Zhang, “The mobile broadband WiMAX standard,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 144–148, 2007.
- D. Niyato, E. Hossain, and J. Diamond, “IEEE 802.16/WiMAX-based broadband wireless access and its application for telemedicine/E-health services,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 72–83, 2007.
- R. S. H. Istepanian, S. Laxminarayan, and C. C. Pattichis, M-Health-Emerging Mobile Health Systems, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- M. G. Martini, R. S. H. Istepanian, M. Mazzotti, and N. Y. Philip, “Robust multilayer control for enhanced wireless telemedical video streaming,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 5–16, 2010.
- R. Istepanian, N. Philip, and M. Martini, “Medical QoS provision based on reinforcement learning in ultrasound streaming over 3.5G wireless systems,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 566–574, 2009.
- G. Martufi, M. Katz, et al., “Extending WiMAX to new scenarios: key results on system architecture and test-beds of the WEIRD project,” in Proceedings of the 2nd European Symposium on Mobile Media Delivery (EUMOB '08), Oulu, Finland, July 2008.
- P. T. Y. Tseng and H. H. Chen, “Reinventing healthcare service through m-care business model: the strategy analysis of WiMAX adoption,” Journal of Communications, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 35–41, 2007.
- M. G. Martini and H. Papadopoulos, “Health and inclusion (eds.),” in Strategic Applications Agenda, Version 1, eMobility European Technology Platform, December 2008.
- M. G. Martini, “Wireless broadband multimedia health services: current status and emerging concepts,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC '08), pp. 1–6, Poznan, Poland, September 2008.
- Y. Chu and A. Ganz, “A mobile teletrauma system using 3G networks,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 456–462, 2004.
- M. G. Martini and M. Mazzotti, “Quality driven wireless video transmission for medical applications,” in Proceedings of the 28th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS '06), pp. 3254–3257, New York, NY, USA, September 2006.
- M. G. Martini, M. Mazzotti, C. Lamy-Bergot, J. Huusko, and P. Amon, “Content adaptive network aware joint optimization of wireless video transmission,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 84–90, 2007.
- S. P. Rao, N. S. Jayant, M. E. Stachura, E. Astapova, and A. Pearson-Shaver, “Delivering diagnostic quality video over mobile wireless networks for telemedicine,” International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications, vol. 2009, Article ID 406753, 9 pages, 2009.
- C. Doukas and I. Maglogiannis, “Adaptive transmission of medical image and video using scalable coding and context-aware wireless medical networks,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, vol. 2008, Article ID 428397, 12 pages, 2008.
- A. Skodras, C. Christopoulos, and T. Ebrahimi, “The JPEG 2000 still image compression standard,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 36–58, 2001.
- F. Pereira and T. Ebrahimi, The MPEG-4 Book, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2002.
- S. Wenger, “H.264/AVC over IP,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 645–656, 2003.
- T. Stockhammer, M. M. Hannuksela, and T. Wiegand, “H.264/AVC in wireless environments,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 657–673, 2003.
- S. Van Leuven, K. Van Schevensteen, T. Dams, and P. Schelkens, “An implementation of multiple region-of-interest models in H.264/AVC,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Signal-Image Technology and Internet-Based Systems (SITIS '06), Hammamet, Tunisia, December 2006.
- H. Wang, F. Zhai, Y. Eisenberg, and A. K. Katsaggelos, “Cost-distortion optimized unequal error protection for object-based video communications,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1505–1516, 2005.
- Y. Sun, I. Ahmad, D. Li, and Y.-Q. Zhang, “Region-based rate control and bit allocation for wireless video transmission,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2006.
- M. G. Martini, A. Polpetta, and P. Banelli, “Context-aware multi-lead ECG compression based on standard image codecs,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PCTHealth '09), London, UK, April 2009.
- S. Wenger and M. Horowitz, “FMO: flexible macroblock ordering,” ITU-T JVT-C, 2002.
- M. Naccari, G. Bressan, M. Tagliasacchi, F. Pereira, and S. Tubaro, “Unequal error protection based on flexible macroblock ordering for robust H.264/AVC video transcoding,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Picture Coding Symposium, Lisbon, Portugal, November 2007.
- P. Sivanantharasa, W. A. C. Fernando, and H. Kodikara Arachchi, “Region of interest video coding with flexible macroblock ordering,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 53–56, 2006.
- Y. Dhondt, P. Lambert, and R. Van de Wall, “A flexible macroblock scheme for unequal error protection,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '06), pp. 829–832, 2006.
- T. Wiegand, G. J. Sullivan, G. Bjøntegaard, and A. Luthra, “Overview of the H.264/AVC video coding standard,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 560–576, 2003.
- V. Srivastava and M. Motani, “Cross-layer design: a survey and the road ahead,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 112–119, 2005.
- M. Chen and A. Zakhor, “Rate control for streaming video over wireless,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 32–41, 2005.
- Z. Chen and K. N. Ngan, “Recent advances in rate control for video coding,” Signal Processing: Image Communication, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 19–38, 2007.
- Z. Miao, “Rate-distortion optimized streaming of packetized media,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 390–404, 2006.
- J. Hagenauer and T. Stockhammer, “Channel coding and transmission aspects for wireless multimedia,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 1764–1777, 1999.
- J. Hagenauer, N. Seshadri, and C. W. Sundberg, “The performance of rate-compatible punctured convolutional codes for digital mobile radio,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 966–980, 1990.
- A. Albanese, J. Blömer, J. Edmonds, M. Luby, and M. Sudan, “Priority encoding transmission,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1737–1744, 1996.
- M. G. Martini and M. Chiani, “Proportional unequal error protection for MPEG-4 video transmission,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Communications (ICC '01), pp. 1033–1037, Helsinki, Finlad, June 2000.
- D. Dardari, M. G. Martini, M. Mazzotti, and M. Chiani, “Layered video transmission on adaptive OFDM wireless systems,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2004, no. 10, pp. 1557–1567, 2004.
- J. Huusko, J. Vehkaperä, P. Amon et al., “Cross-layer architecture for scalable video transmission in wireless network,” Signal Processing: Image Communication, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 317–330, 2007.
- V. Vlahakis and R. I. Kitney, “Wavelet-based, inhomogeneous, near-lossless compression of ultrasound images of the heart,” in Proceedings of the 24th Annual Meeting on Computers in Cardiology, pp. 549–552, September 1997.
- E. N. Gilbert, “Capacity of a burst-noise channel,” Bell Systems Technical Journal, vol. 39, pp. 1253–1265, 1960.
- V. Parthasarathy, J. W. Modestino, and K. S. Vastola, “Reliable transmission of high-quality video over ATM networks,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 361–374, 1999.
- P. Frossard, “FEC performance in multimedia streaming,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 122–124, 2001.
- E. Reetz and R. Tonjes, “Deliverable D-7.4, MORYNE IST-FP6 Project,” March 2008, http://www.fp6-moryne.org/doc/MORYNE-D7.4-V1.1.pdf.
- R. S. H. Istepanian, N. Philip, M. G. Martini, N. Amso, and P. Shorvon, “Subjective and objective quality assessment in wireless teleultrasonography imaging,” in Proceedings of Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS '08), pp. 5346–5349, Vancouver, Canada, August 2008.
- Z. Wang, A. C. Bovik, H. R. Sheikh, and E. P. Simoncelli, “Image quality assessment: from error visibility to structural similarity,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 600–612, 2004.