- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 870959, 7 pages
Use of Remote Monitoring to Improve Outcomes in Patients with Heart Failure: A Pilot Trial
1Graduate School, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, 1518 Clifton Road NE, Room 467, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
2Center for Connected Health, Partners Health Care, Boston, MA, USA
3Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
4Emory Rollins School of Public Health and Emory School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
5Department of Statistics, Institute of Technology Assessment, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Received 25 January 2010; Accepted 17 March 2010
Academic Editor: Elizabeth Krupinski
Copyright © 2010 Ambar Kulshreshtha et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. B. Kannel, “Incidence and epidemiology of heart failure,” Heart Failure Reviews, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 167–173, 2000.
- D. Lloyd-Jones, R. Adams, M. Carnethon, et al., “Heart disease and stroke statistics—2009 update: a report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee,” Circulation, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 480–486, 2009.
- F. D. Wolinsky, J. M. Overhage, T. E. Stump, R. M. Lubitz, and D. M. Smith, “The risk of hospitalization for congestive heart failure among older adults,” Medical Care, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1031–1043, 1997.
- B. M. Massie and N. B. Shah, “Evolving trends in the epidemiologic factors of heart failure: rationale for preventive strategies and comprehensive disease management,” American Heart Journal, vol. 133, no. 6, pp. 703–712, 1997.
- R. Holland, J. Battersby, I. Harvey, E. Lenaghan, J. Smith, and L. Hay, “Systematic review of multidisciplinary interventions in heart failure,” Heart, vol. 91, no. 7, pp. 899–906, 2005.
- F. A. McAlister, S. Stewart, S. Ferrua, and J. J. McMurray, “Multidisciplinary strategies for the management of heart failure patients at high risk for admission: a systematic review of randomized trials,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 810–819, 2004.
- A. D. Galbreath, R. A. Krasuski, B. Smith, et al., “Long-term healthcare and cost outcomes of disease management in a large, randomized, community-based population with heart failure,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 23, pp. 3518–3526, 2004.
- N. T. Artinian, J. K. Harden, M. W. Kronenberg, et al., “Pilot study of a Web-based compliance monitoring device for patients with congestive heart failure,” Heart and Lung, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 226–233, 2003.
- A. Jovicic, J. M. Holroyd-Leduc, and S. E. Straus, “Effects of self-management intervention on health outcomes of patients with heart failure: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials,” BMC Cardiovascular Disorders, vol. 6, article 43, 2006.
- R. A. Clark, S. C. Inglis, F. A. McAlister, J. G. F. Cleland, and S. Stewart, “Telemonitoring or structured telephone support programmes for patients with chronic heart failure: systematic review and meta-analysis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 334, no. 7600, pp. 942–945, 2007.
- C. Klersy, A. De Silvestri, G. Gabutti, F. Regoli, and A. Auricchio, “A meta-analysis of remote monitoring of heart failure patients,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 18, pp. 1683–1694, 2009.
- R. Roccaforte, C. Demers, F. Baldassarre, K. K. Teo, and S. Yusuf, “Effectiveness of comprehensive disease management programmes in improving clinical outcomes in heart failure patients. A meta-analysis,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 1133–1144, 2005.
- G. R. S. Myers, N. E. Lugn, B. Holbert, and J. C. Kvedar, “Impact of home-based monitoring on the care of patients with congestive heart failure,” Home Health Care Management and Practice, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 444–451, 2006.
- N. E. H. Institute, Remote Physiological Monitoring, vol. 2009, University of Cambridge, 2008.
- J. Spaeder, S. S. Najjar, G. Gerstenblith, et al., “Rapid titration of carvedilol in patients with congestive heart failure: a randomized trial of automated telemedicine versus frequent outpatient clinic visits,” American Heart Journal, vol. 151, no. 4, pp. 844.e1–844.e10, 2006.
- S. I. Chaudhry, Y. Wang, J. Concato, T. M. Gill, and H. M. Krumholz, “Patterns of weight change preceding hospitalization for heart failure,” Circulation, vol. 116, no. 14, pp. 1549–1554, 2007.
- S. Bakken, L. Grullon-Figueroa, R. Izquierdo, et al., “Development, validation, and use of English and Spanish versions of the telemedicine satisfaction and usefulness questionnaire,” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 660–667, 2006.
- G. Demiris, S. Speedie, and S. Finkelstein, “A questionnaire for the assessment of patients' impressions of the risks and benefits of home telecare,” Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 278–284, 2000.
- “Social Security Death Index,” vol. 2009.
- S. I. Chaudhry, B. Barton, J. Mattera, J. Spertus, and H. M. Krumholz, “Randomized trial of Telemonitoring to Improve Heart Failure Outcomes (Tele-HF): study design,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 709–714, 2007.
- N. R. Chumbler, B. Neugaard, P. Ryan, H. Qin, and Y. Joo, “An observational study of veterans with diabetes receiving weekly or daily home telehealth monitoring,” Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 150–156, 2005.
- Medicare, Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, vol. 2009, 2008.
- S. I. Chaudhry, C. O. Phillips, S. S. Stewart, et al., “Telemonitoring for patients with chronic heart failure: a systematic review,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 56–62, 2007.
- L. R. Goldberg, J. D. Piette, M. N. Walsh, et al., “Randomized trial of a daily electronic home monitoring system in patients with advanced heart failure: the Weight Monitoring in Heart Failure (WHARF) trial,” American Heart Journal, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 705–712, 2003.
- D. Benatar, M. Bondmass, J. Ghitelman, and B. Avitall, “Outcomes of chronic heart failure,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 163, no. 3, pp. 347–352, 2003.
- J. G. Cleland, A. A. Louis, A. S. Rigby, U. Janssens, and A. H. Balk, “Noninvasive home telemonitoring for patients with heart failure at high risk of recurrent admission and death: the Trans-European Network-Home-Care Management System (TEN-HMS) study,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1654–1664, 2005.
- P. S. Seibert, T. A. Whitmore, C. Patterson, et al., “Telemedicine facilitates CHF home health care for those with systolic dysfunction,” International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications, vol. 2008, Article ID 235031, 7 pages, 2008.
- C. Kimmelstiel, D. Levine, K. Perry, et al., “Randomized, controlled evaluation of short- and long-term benefits of heart failure disease management within a diverse provider network: the SPAN-CHF trial,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 11, pp. 1450–1455, 2004.
- A. Kashem, M. T. Droogan, W. P. Santamore, J. W. Wald, and A. A. Bove, “Managing heart failure care using an internet-based telemedicine system,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 121–126, 2008.
- S. Scalvini, E. Zanelli, M. Volterrani, et al., “A pilot study of nurse-led, home-based telecardiology for patients with chronic heart failure,” Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 113–117, 2004.
- A. J. Morguet, P. Kühnelt, A. Kallel, M. Jaster, and H.-P. Schultheiss, “Impact of telemedical care and monitoring on morbidity in mild to moderate chronic heart failure,” Cardiology, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 134–139, 2008.
- R. S. Schofield, S. E. Kline, C. M. Schmalfuss, et al., “Early outcomes of a care coordination-enhanced telehome care program for elderly veterans with chronic heart failure,” Telemedicine Journal and e-Health, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 20–27, 2005.