- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 909248, 6 pages
The Use of Telehealth Technology in Assessing the Accuracy of Self-Reported Weight and the Impact of a Daily Immediate-Feedback Intervention among Obese Employees
1HealthPartners, Minneapolis, MN 55440-1309, USA
2JourneyWell, Minneapolis, MN 55425, USA
3HealthPartners Research Foundation, Minneapolis, MN 55440-1524, USA
4Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
5Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation, Minneapolis, MN 55407, USA
6Cardiocom Multi-Disease Management, LLC, Chanhassen, MN 55317, USA
Received 15 October 2010; Revised 27 March 2011; Accepted 19 April 2011
Academic Editor: Ron A. Winkens
Copyright © 2011 Nicolaas P. Pronk et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. L. Engstrom, S. A. Paterson, A. Doherty, M. Trabulsi, and K. L. Speer, “Accuracy of self-reported height and weight in women: an integrative review of the literature,” Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 338–345, 2003.
- M. Palta, R. J. Prineas, R. Berman, and P. Hannan, “Comparison of self-reported and measured height and weight,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 223–230, 1982.
- K. Wada, K. Tamakoshi, T. Tsunekawa et al., “Validity of self-reported height and weight in a Japanese workplace population,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1093–1099, 2005.
- A. J. Stunkard and J. M. Albaum, “The accuracy of self-reported weights,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1593–1999, 1981.
- J. C. Dekkers, M. F. Van Wier, I. J. Hendriksen, J. W. R. Twisk, and W. Van Mechelen, “Accuracy of self-reported body weight, height and waist circumference in a Dutch overweight working population,” BMC Medical Research Methodology, vol. 8, article no. 69, 2008.
- E. V. Villanueva, “The validity of self-reported weight in US adults: a population based cross-sectional study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 1, article 1, 2001.
- T. F. Cash, J. R. Grant, J. M. Shovlin, and R. J. Lewis, “Are inaccuracies in self-reported weight motivated distortions?” Perceptual and Motor Skills, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 209–210, 1992.
- R. E. McCabe, T. McFarlane, J. Polivy, and M. P. Olmsted, “Eating disorders, dieting, and the accuracy of self-reported weight,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 2001.
- L. R. DelPrete, M. Caldwell, C. English, S. W. Banspach, and C. Lefebvre, “Self-reported and measured weights and heights of participants in community-based weight loss programs,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 92, no. 12, pp. 1483–1486, 1992.
- M. L. Rowland, “Self-reported weight and height,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1125–1133, 1990.
- J. R. Shapiro and D. A. Anderson, “The effects of restraint, gender, and body mass index on the accuracy of self-reported weight,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 177–180, 2003.
- H. Nawaz, W. Chan, M. Abdulrahman, D. Larson, and D. L. Katz, “Self-reported weight and height. Implications for obesity research,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 294–298, 2001.
- T. F. Cash, B. Counts, J. Hangen, and C. E. Huffine, “How much do you weigh? Determinants of validity of self-reported body weight,” Percept Mot Skills, vol. 69, pp. 248–250, 1989.
- V. Flood, K. Webb, R. Lazarus, and G. Pang, “Use of self-report to monitor overweight and obesity in populations: some issues for consideration,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 96–99, 2000.
- J. A. Linde, R. W. Jeffery, S. A. French, N. P. Pronk, and R. G. Boyle, “Self-weighing in weight gain prevention and weight loss trials,” Annals of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 210–216, 2005.
- J. J. Van Wormer , S. A. French, M. Pereira, and E. M. Welsh, “The impact of regular self-weighing on weight management: a systematic review of the literature,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 5, article 54, 2008.
- J. J. VanWormer, A. M. Martinez, G. A. Benson et al., “Telephone counseling and home telemonitoring: the weigh by day trial,” American Journal of Health Behavior, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 445–454, 2009.
- R. W. Jeffery, N. E. Sherwood, K Brelje, et al., “Mail and phone interventions for weight loss in a managed-care setting: weigh-to-be one-year outcomes,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 27, pp. 1584–1592, 2003.
- G. S. Tell, R. W. Jeffery, F. M. Kramer, and M. K. Snell, “Can self-reported body weight be used to evaluate long-term follow-up of a weight-loss program?” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 87, no. 9, pp. 1198–1201, 1987.
- M. R. Larson, “Social desirability and self-reported weight and height,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, pp. 663–665, 2000.
- J. J. VanWormer, A. M. Martinez, B. C. Martinson et al., “Self-weighing promotes weight loss for obese adults,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 70–73, 2009.