- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 103685, 8 pages
Lessons Learned from Implementing the Patient-Centered Medical Home
1University of Delaware, 416C Purnell Hall, Newark, DE 19711, USA
2Carilion Clinic, Roanoke, VA 24014, USA
3George Mason University, Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
4Arlington Innovation Center for Health Research, Virginia Tech, National Capital Region, Arlington, VA 22203, USA
Received 1 February 2012; Revised 4 June 2012; Accepted 22 June 2012
Academic Editor: Sotiris A. Pavlopoulos
Copyright © 2012 Ellen P. Green et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Stenger and J. E. DeVoe, “Policy challenges in building the Medical Home: do we have a shared blueprint?” The Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 384–392, 2010.
- Healthcare coverage and access: Challenges and opportunities hearing on S. HRG. 110-24 before the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee, 110th Cong, 2007.
- K. R. Lorig, D. S. Sobel, A. L. Stewart et al., “Evidence suggesting that a chronic disease self-management program can improve health status while reducing hospitalization a randomized trial,” Medical Care, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 5–14, 1999.
- NCQA, “New NCQA Standards Take Patient-Centered Medical Homes to the Next Level,” Retrieved January 14, 2011.
- Clinic, C. Carilion Clinic: Offering Coordinated Healthcare, 2011.
- NCQA, “NCQA Patient-Centered Medical Home,” 2011, http://ncqa.org/Portals/0/Programs/Recognition/2011PCMHbrochure_web.pdf.
- P. A. Nutting, W. L. Miller, B. F. Crabtree, C. R. Jaen, E. E. Stewart, and K. C. Stange, “Initial lessons from the first national demonstration project on practice transformation to a patient-centered medical home,” Annals of Family Medicine, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 254–260, 2009.
- P. B. Ginsburg, M. Maxfield, A. S. O'Malley, D. Peikes, and H. H. Pham, Making PCMHs Work: Moving from Concept to Practice. Policy Prespective, Health Systems Change, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- NCQA, “Physician Practice Connections- Patient-Centered Medical Home Standards and Guidelines,” 2011, http://www.ncqa.org/tabid/629Default.aspx.
- M. Linzer, L. B. Manwell, E. S. Williams et al., “Working conditions in primary care: physician reactions and care quality,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 151, no. 1, pp. 28–36, 2009.
- P. A. Nutting, B. F. Crabtree, W. L. Miller, E. E. Stewart, K. C. Stange, and C. R. Jaén, “Journey to the patient-centered medical home: a qualitative analysis of the experiences of practices in the National Demonstration Project,” Annals of Family Medicine, vol. 8, supplement, pp. S45–S56, 2010.
- W. C. Hsiao, D. L. Dunn, and D. K. Verrilli, “Assessing the implementation of physician-payment reform,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 13, pp. 928–933, 1993.
- J. C. Rogers, “The patient-centered medical home movement—promise and peril for family medicine,” Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 370–374, 2008.
- E. E. Stewart, P. A. Nutting, B. F. Crabtree, K. C. Stange, W. L. Miller, and C. R. Jaén, “Implementing the patient-centered medical home: observation and description of the national demonstration project,” Annals of Family Medicine, vol. 8, pp. S21–S92, 2010.
- S. L. Hughes, F. M. Weaver, A. Giobbie-Hurder et al., “Effectiveness of team-managed home-based primary care: a randomized multicenter trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 284, no. 22, pp. 2877–2885, 2000.
- K. Grumbach and T. Bodenheimer, “Can health care teams improve primary care practice?” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 10, pp. 1246–1251, 2004.
- M. Hansen and J. C. Fisher, “Patient-centered teaching from theory to practice,” American Journal of Nursing, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 56–60, 1998.
- M. J. Yedidia, “Transforming doctor-patient relationships topromote patient-centered care: lessons from palliative care,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 40–57, 2007.
- M. W. Friedberg, D. G. Safran, K. L. Coltin, M. Dresser, and E. C. Schneider, “Readiness for the patient-centered medical home: structural capabilities of massachusetts primary care practices,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 162–169, 2009.
- D. R. Rittenhouse and S. M. Shortell, “The patient-centered medical home: will it stand the test of health reform?” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 301, no. 19, pp. 2038–2040, 2009.
- R. J. Reid, P. A. Fishman, O. Yu et al., “Patient-centered medical home demonstration: a prospective, quasi-experimental, before and after evaluation,” The American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. E71–E7, 2009.
- A. M. Audet, K. Davis, and S. C. Schoenbaum, “Adoption of patient-centered care practices by physicians: results from a national survey,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 166, no. 7, pp. 754–759, 2006.
- W. G. Carnett, “Clinical practice guidelines: a tool to improve care,” Quality Management in Health Care, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 1999.
- R. A. Berenson, T. Hammons, D. N. Gans et al., “A house is not a home: keeping patients at the center of practice redesign,” Health Affairs, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1219–1230, 2008.
- S. A. Flocke, K. C. Stange, and S. J. Zyzanski, “The association of attributes of primary care with the delivery of clinical preventive services,” Medical Care, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. AS21–AS30, 1998.
- S. Ryan, A. Riley, M. Kang, and B. Starfield, “The effects of regular source of care and health need on medical care use among rural adolescents,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 184–190, 2001.
- E. Carrier, M. N. Gourevitch, and N. R. Shah, “PCMHs challenges in translating theory into practice,” Medical Care, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 714–722, 2009.
- L. I. Lesser and A. W. Bazemore, “Improving the delivery of preventive services to medicare beneficiaries,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 302, no. 24, pp. 2699–2700, 2009.