- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 195970, 12 pages
Monitoring Heart Disease and Diabetes with Mobile Internet Communications
1School of Electronic, Electrical and Systems Engineering, Loughborough University, Leicestershire LE11 3TU, UK
2Instrument Design Development Centre, The Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016, India
3Department of Electronics Engineering, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh 202002, India
4Faculty of Science, Engineering and Computing, Kingston University, London KT1 2EE, UK
Received 31 May 2012; Revised 4 October 2012; Accepted 13 October 2012
Academic Editor: Velio Macellari
Copyright © 2012 David Mulvaney et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Magrabi, N. H. Lovell, and B. G. Celler, “A web-based approach for electrocardiogram monitoring in the home,” International Journal of Medical Informatics, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 145–153, 1999.
- R. Bellazzi, S. Montani, A. Riva, and M. Stefanelli, “Web-based telemedicine systems for home-care: technical issues and experiences,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 175–187, 2001.
- R. Harper, P. Nicholf, M. McTear, J. Wallace, L. A. Black, and P. Kearney, “Automated phone capture of diabetes patients readings with consultant monitoring via the web,” in Proceedings of the 15th IEEE International Conference and Workshops on the Engineering of Computer-Based Systems (ECBS '08), pp. 219–226, April 2008.
- G. Schreier, D. Hayn, P. Kastner, S. Koller, W. Salmhofer, and R. Hofmann-Wellenhof, “A mobile-phone based teledermatology system to support self-management of patients suffering from psoriasis,” in Proceedings of the 30th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS '08), pp. 5338–5341, August 2008.
- C. Lau, R. S. Churchill, J. Kim, F. A. Matsen, and Y. Kim, “Asynchronous web-based patient-centered home telemedicine system,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 1452–1462, 2002.
- A. Gobbi, I. Milesi, L. Govoni, A. Pedotti, and R. L. Dellaca, “A new telemedicine system for the home monitoring of lung function in patients with obstructive respiratory diseases,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on eHealth, Telemedicine, and Social Medicine (eTELEMED '09), pp. 117–122, February 2009.
- UK-India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI) project, “Mobile Communications to Improve Monitoring of Heart Disease and Diabetes,” http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/el/news/Year2007/health-monitor.html.
- MSP430F2618E datasheet, Texas Instruments, http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/msp430f2618.pdf.
- B. Thakker and A. L. Vyas, “Outlier pulse detection and feature extraction for wrist pulse analysis,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 55, pp. 173–176, 2009.
- KC-21 Bluetooth module datasheet, KC Wirefree, http://www.kcwirefree.com/docs/KC21_Datasheet.pdf.
- kcSerial Firmware User Guide, KC Wirefree, http://www.kcwirefree.com/docs/kcSerial30_UserGuide.pdf.
- “ZigBee Technology: Wireless Control that Simply Works,” ZigBee Alliance, http://www.zigbee.org/LearnMore/WhitePapers.aspx.
- Nordic nRF24L01 Product Specification, Nordic Semiconductor, http://www.nordicsemi.com/files/Product/data_sheet/nRF24L01_Product_Specification_v2_0.pdf.
- ANT Q&As, ANT, http://www.thisisant.com/images/Resources/PDF/ant_qandas.pdf.
- L. Roelens, S. Van Den Bulcke, W. Joseph, G. Vermeeren, and L. Martens, “Path loss model for wireless narrowband communication above flat phantom,” Electronics Letters, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 10–11, 2006.
- A. Fort, C. Desset, J. Ryckaert, P. De Doncker, L. Van Biesen, and S. Donnay, “Ultra wide-band body area channel model,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '05), vol. 2005, pp. 2840–2844, May 2005.
- O. C. Omeni, O. Eljamaly, and A. J. Burdett, “Energy efficient medium access protocol for wireless medical body area sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Summer School and Symposium of Medical Devices and Biosensors (ISSS-MDBS '07), pp. 29–32, Cambridge, UK, August 2007.
- B. Latré, B. Braem, I. Moerman et al., “A low-delay protocol for multihop wireless body area networks,” in Proceedings of the 4th Annual International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services (MobiQuitous '07), pp. 1–8, August 2007.
- Bluetooth low energy technology, Bluetooth SIG, http://www.bluetooth.com/English/Products/Pages/Bluetooth_Low_Energy_Technology__Technical_Info.aspx.
- ZigBee technical documents, ZigBee Alliance, http://www.zigbee.org/Specifications.aspx.
- Nordic Semiconductor ShockBurst devices, Nordic Semiconductor, http://www.nordicsemi.com/index.cfm?obj=menu&act=displayMenu&men=21.
- ANT Wireless Sensors, ANT, http://www.thisisant.com/technology/feature-highlights.
- S. Krco and V. Delic, “Personal wireless sensor network for mobile health care monitoring,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Service (TELSIKS '03), vol. 2, pp. 471–474, October 2003.
- SQL Server Compact 3.5, Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/compact.aspx.
- SF Surveys, SF-36.org, http://www.sf-36.org/tools/sfsurveys.aspx.
- EQ-5D User Guide, EuroQol Group, http://www.euroqol.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Documenten/PDF/User_Guide_v2_March_2009.pdf.
- M. Nambu, K. Nakajima, and T. Tamura, “WWW based ECG transfer for home care using JAVA script,” in Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology 24th Annual Conference and the 2002 Fall Meeting of the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES/EMBS '02), vol. 3, pp. 1891–1892, October 2002.
- R. Andrade, A. V. Wangenheim, and M. K. Bortoluzzi, “Wireless and PDA: a novel strategy to access DICOM-compliant medical data on mobile devices,” International Journal of Medical Informatics, vol. 71, no. 2-3, pp. 157–163, 2003.
- F. Chiarugi, M. Spanakis, P. J. Lees, C. E. Chronaki, M. Tsiknakis, and S. C. Orphanoudakis, “ECG in your hands: a multi-vendor ECG viewer for personal digital assistants,” in Proceedings of the Computers in Cardiology, vol. 30, pp. 359–362, September 2003.
- J. Choi, S. Yoo, H. Park, and J. Chun, “MobileMed: a PDA-based mobile clinical information system,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 627–635, 2006.
- S. Kundu, J. Mukherjee, and A. K. Majumdar, “Patient's data browsing in wireless LAN in TELEMEDIK,” in Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Personal Wireless Communications (ICPWC '05), pp. 272–275, January 2005.
- S. Kundu, J. Mukherjee, A. K. Majumdar, B. Majumdar, and S. Sekhar Ray, “Algorithms and heuristics for efficient medical information display in PDA,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 1272–1282, 2007.
- Ajax Getting Started, Mozilla Developer Center, https://developer.mozilla.org/en/AJAX/Getting_Started.
- Opera Dragonfly debugger overview, http://www.opera.com/dragonfly/.
- Opera Mobile 10 specification, Opera software, http://www.opera.com/mobile/specs/.
- “XMLHttpRequest W3C Candidate Recommendation,” w3.org, http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/.
- “HTML5 Draft Standard section 4.8.11 The canvas element,” w3.org, http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html.
- “XMLHttpRequest Level 2 W3C Working Draft,” w3.org, http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest2/.
- “HIPAA Administrative Simplification,” US Dept. of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights, http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/privacyrule/adminsimpregtext.pdf.
- R. Fensli, E. Gunnarson, and T. Gundersen, “A wearable ECG-recording system for continuous arrhythmia monitoring in a wireless tele-home-care situation,” in Proceedings of the 18th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, pp. 407–412, June 2005.
- A. K. Maji, A. Mukhoty, A. K. Majumdar, J. Mukhopadhyay, and S. Sural, “Secure healthcare delivery over the web: a multi-tier approach,” in Proceedings of the Indian Conference on Medical Informatics and Telemedicine (ICMT ’06), pp. 53–58, December 2006.
- M. Shanmugam, S. Thiruvengadam, A. Khurat, and I. Maglogiannis, “Enabling secure mobile access for electronic health care applications,” in Proceedings of the Pervasive Health Conference and Workshops, PervasiveHealth, pp. 1–8, December 2006.
- K. Elmufti, D. Weerasinghe, M. Rajarajan, V. Rakocevic, and S. Khan, “Privacy in mobile Web services eHealth,” in Proceedings of the 1st Pervasive Health Conference and Workshops, PervasiveHealth, December 2006.
- Q. Liu, S. Lu, Y. Hong, L. Wang, and R. Dssouli, “Securing telehealth applications in a Web-based e-health portal,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Availability, Security, and Reliability (ARES '08), pp. 3–9, March 2008.
- I. J. Cox, M. L. Miller, J. A. Bloom, J. Fridrich, and T. Kalker, Digital Watermarking and Steganography, Morgan Kaufmann, 2nd edition, 2008.
- European Broadcasting Union, “Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Content Protection and Copy Management (DVB-CPCM),” ETSI TS 102 825-4 V1.1.1 (2008-07), July 2008.
- H. C. Huang, W. C. Fang, and S. C. Chen, “Privacy protection and authentication for medical images with record-based watermarking,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/NIH Life Science Systems and Applications Workshop (LiSSA '09), pp. 190–193, April 2009.
- A. Giakoumaki, S. Pavlopoulos, and D. Koutsouris, “A medical image watermarking scheme based on wavelet transform,” in Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 856–859, September 2003.
- A. Piva, M. Barni, F. Barolini, and A. De Rosa, “Data hiding technologies for digital radiography,” IEE Proceedings Vision, Image and Signal Processing, vol. 152, no. 5, pp. 604–610, 2005.
- H. M. Chao, C. M. Hsu, and S. G. Miaou, “A data-hiding technique with authentication, integration, and confidentiality for electronic patient records,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 46–53, 2002.
- A. Wakatani, “Digital watermarking for ROI medical images by using compressed signature image,” in Proceedings of the 35th Hawaii International Conference System Sciences, 2002.
- S. Cheng, Q. Wu, and K. R. Castleman, “Non-ubiquitous digital watermarking for record indexing and integrity protection of medical images,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '05), vol. 2, pp. 1062–1065, September 2005.
- G. Coatrieux, H. Maître, and B. Sankur, “Strict integrity control of biomedical images,” in Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents III, vol. 4314 of Proceedings of the SPIE, pp. 229–240, January 2001.
- R. S. H. Istepanian, K. Zitouni, D. Harry et al., “Evaluation of a mobile phone telemonitoring system for glycaemic control in patients with diabetes,” Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 125–128, 2009.
- E. Seto, R. S. H. Istepanian, J. A. Cafazzo, A. Logan, and A. Sungoor, “UK and Canadian perspectives of the effectiveness of mobile diabetes management systems,” in Proceedings of the 31st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC '09), pp. 6584–6587, September 2009.