- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 729492, 10 pages
A Modeled Analysis of Telehealth Methods for Treating Pressure Ulcers after Spinal Cord Injury
1Truven Health Analytics, Washington, DC 20008, USA
2Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-6019, USA
3Spinal Cord Injury Center, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
4Center for Health Care Evaluation, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, 795 Willow Road (152 MPD), Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
5Department of Sociology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-2047, USA
Received 2 May 2012; Accepted 12 July 2012
Academic Editor: George Demiris
Copyright © 2012 Mark W. Smith et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. Whited, S. Datta, R. P. Hall et al., “An economic analysis of a store and forward teledermatology consult system,” Telemedicine Journal and e-Health, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 351–360, 2003.
- A. M. Joseph, “Care coordination and telehealth technology in promoting self-management among chronically ill patients,” Telemedicine Journal and e-Health, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 156–159, 2006.
- T. E. Barnett, N. R. Chumbler, W. B. Vogel, R. J. Beyth, P. Ryan, and S. Figueroa, “The cost-utility of a care coordination/home telehealth programme for veterans with diabetes,” Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 318–321, 2007.
- F. Verhoeven, L. van Gemert-Pijnen, K. Dijkstra, N. Nijland, E. Seydel, and M. Steehouder, “The contribution of teleconsultation and videoconferencing to diabetes care: a systematic literature review,” Journal of Medical Internet Research, vol. 9, no. 5, p. e37, 2007.
- V. L. Phillips, A. Temkin, S. Vesmarovich, R. Burns, and L. Idleman, “Using telehealth interventions to prevent pressure ulcers in newly injured spinal cord injury patients post-discharge: results from a pilot study,” International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 749–755, 1999.
- M. L. Hill, R. C. Cronkite, D. T. Ota, E. C. Yao, and B. J. Kiratli, “Validation of home telehealth for pressure ulcer assessment: a study in patients with spinal cord injury,” Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 196–202, 2009.
- A. Darkins, C. Cruise, M. Armstrong, J. Peters, and M. Finn, “Enhancing access of combat-wounded veterans to specialist rehabilitation services: the VA polytrauma telehealth network,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 182–187, 2008.
- M. Galea, J. Tumminia, and L. M. Garback, “Telerehabilitation in spinal cord injury persons: a novel approach,” Telemedicine Journal and e-Health, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 160–162, 2006.
- E. G. Wilkins, J. C. Lowery, and S. Goldfarb, “Feasibility of virtual wound care: a pilot study,” Advances in Skin & Wound Care, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 275–278, 2007.
- A. Gélis, A. Dupeyron, P. Legros, C. Benaïm, J. Pelissier, and C. Fattal, “Pressure ulcer risk factors in persons with spinal cord injury part 2: the chronic stage,” Spinal Cord, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 651–661, 2009.
- M. W. Smith and S. S. King, “A guide to estimating wages of VHA employees—supplement,” HERC Technical Report 25 Supplement, Health Economics Resource Center, Menlo Park, Calif, USA, January 2010.
- M. W. Smith, L. C. An, S. S. Fu, D. B. Nelson, and A. M. Joseph, “Cost-effectiveness of an intensive telephone-based intervention for smoking cessation,” Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 437–440, 2011.
- C. B. Schechter, C. E. Basch, A. Caban, and E. A. Walker, “Cost effectiveness of a telephone intervention to promote dilated fundus examination in adults with diabetes mellitus,” Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 763–768, 2008.
- L. S. Halstead, T. Dang, M. Elrod, R. J. Convit, M. J. Rosen, and S. Woods, “Teleassessment compared with live assessment of pressure ulcers in a wound clinic: a pilot study,” Advances in Skin & Wound Care, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 91–96, 2003.